It's not funny

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If current trends continue EVERYONE will sit at home waiting for someone else to break the trails.

Then the old timers (who don't have internet and who hike in home-made, catgut snowshoes, wool and cotton anoraks) will re-emerge and reclaim their sovereignty over the 4000 foot peaks, breaking trail joyously every step of the way.

Keep your eyes peeled for old people carrying flashlights that run on D cell eveready batteries.

In all fairness, I think we should cover up our tracks on the way out giving everyone equal opportunity to break out trails.

Truthfully, if we are skiing we try to go into unbroken areas. If I'm hiking, I know I'm not the first out of the gate so I'm not shy about gearing our trips toward areas that are already broken out. I've broken enough trails over the years that I figure I'm due. So, for those that do, thanks!

Last edited:
I do look at TR's occasionally when I plan to be in the same region others have reports. I do think they are a little better than the weather service for conditions.
The internet can be a nasty place and bad TR's are no big deal. A stupid hoax is the reason we're typing and that just sucks.
I doubt it will be a trend in the future, unless someone out there feels a fantasy hike report needs to be read. It take an effort on their part and maybe they'll decide its not worth it in the end.

I had the same experience on Owlshead a few years ago. After reading that the route was broken the previous day, we went off to climb the peak. We found tracks that went about 0.1 mile short of the base of the slide and stopped. As the poster said they summited and described the conditions on the slide, I was dissappointed to learn they had lied. I guess this is the kind of thing that it to be expected when people hide behind aliases and post as not members.

It did result in me no longer posting trail condition reports from my outings.

While I still read the trail conditions, I've always been selective on who to believe. If I don't recoginize the name, I don't put a lot or credibility on the report.

Last edited:
Owl's Head IS broken out as of 1/9/2010, all the way to the new summit, via Black Pond and the "Brutus" BW.

Tim
You mean someone read it wasn't broken out and still went? Why would they do something like that? Did they put up a new sign or do something cool with a GPS to make sure it was the true summit?

Yeah we still went up Owl's Head despite the fact reports were that no one had broken trail. No new signs went up and no one disputed the altitude of OH. We all just had a fun day with great companionship. We all met some new people and had a blast. You ought to try it sometime.

Well as the boy scouts alway say, be prepared and take the reports as gospel or with a grain of salt!

You mean someone read it wasn't broken out and still went? Why would they do something like that? Did they put up a new sign or do something cool with a GPS to make sure it was the true summit?

Yep. Nine hours and forty-five minutes round-trip. No headlamps were used by our party. There is a small, apparently legal, cairn at the true summit.

Not only did we break it out, we "fixed" the sub-optimal bushwhack line we'd made on the way out by breaking it out correctly on the way back down. If you're going and you read this, where one line continues on the contour and another slabs right and up hill, take the right - it avoids the little cliffs and rocks you'll find on the left path.

Tim

Yeah we still went up Owl's Head despite the fact reports were that no one had broken trail. No new signs went up and no one disputed the altitude of OH. We all just had a fun day with great companionship. We all met some new people and had a blast. You ought to try it sometime.

We were pretty sure Isolation would be mostly untracked and were right. Plunging through the puffy glades..some snow down the back of the neck near the campsites..facewhackers on Davis Path.. deep drifts going up the Spur Trail..it was all good and a very rewarding hike..And well broken out should anyone choose to follow.

there is a potential trap here...

aome folks might plan a loop hike expecting that their exit trail is broken out, based on a bogus trail report. They could get in over their head if they arrive at the Garfield trail at 3 PM, find it two feet deep in powder, and they've left their snowshoes in the car, or are simply tired, behind schedule, or needing a bail out.

caveat emptor
caveat lictor
caveat perambulator!

Ed

Plunging through the puffy glades..some snow down the back of the neck near the campsites..facewhackers on Davis Path.. deep drifts going up the Spur Trail..it was all good and a very rewarding hike..And well broken out should anyone choose to follow.

Yeah -- them's the best (and most rewarding) thar hikes. None of that stuff all broken out and Zamboni-ed.

I like the facewhackers...which is pretty much every trail after some decent snowfall.

Yeah, ColdRiverRun.. give it a try. Because I know you certainly don't do anything that awesome in the woods. Like starting out at 5pm to do a remote ADK peak or an Unsupported 46 Traverse.. or a group Owl's Head hike. You're too conservative for that.

And to think that I used to plan my hikes to Allen Mountain based on Richard Bern’s activity.

All seriousness aside, as Steve Allen used to say, it it possible the report referred to a different Owls Head? It’s not an uncommon name. Or maybe the hikers came in from a different trail head, or didn’t use the Black Pond shortcut.

One snowy October morning ten years ago, Susan and I climbed toward Algonquin Peak. A hiker heading down told us that he had just climbed it, but no tracks but those of the ranger who later passed us continued beyond Wright Junction. On top of Algonquin, the ranger told us that the other hiker had climbed Wright, not Algonquin. Was the hiker lying to us, or mistaken?

... it it possible the report referred to a different Owls Head? It’s not an uncommon name. Or maybe the hikers came in from a different trail head, or didn’t use the Black Pond shortcut.

Google Cache said:
Robohiker

Owl's Head 1/6
9 People broke it all out and used the Black Pond Bushwhack and the Bushwhack around the slide

Seems unambiguous to me.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.