Its that time of year again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you know any AT Northbounders starting this April?

• Yes, and I thruhiked northbound

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Yes, and I've never "gone through"

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Not this year, but I"ve thruhiked Nobo

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, and I"ve never gone through

Votes: 17 68.0%

• Total voters
Grumpy said:
This is a classic description of Slackpacking, an exquisitely civilized and sensible approach to hiking.

Yes...and No. It is indeed slackpacking, but I'm not sure it's the "classic" description. This is slackpacking with a fat wallet. (Which is not the case with a typical thruhiker.) A lot thruhikers will slackpack to have a day off from carrying the full load rather than use it as their primary means of hiking the Trail. But, if you asked me, "Are Hansel and Gretel slackpacking?" I'd reply, "Kinda."

It’s a small world. I was just over to our health fair at our university and was taking to someone from the Sleeping Giant Trail Association about trail maintenance and one thing lead to another and she mentioned that her son is currently hiking the AT. His trail name is Third Degree if anyone happens to run into him.

Wasn’t there two women some years back who had their husbands drive to a trailhead, hike into a remote campsite on the AT, set up camp, and have dinner waiting for them as they arrived. The next morning they would cook breakfast, say goodbye to the wives who would hike the trail, breakdown the camp and hike to the car and drive to the next trailhead and repeat the process?

Grumpy said:
This is a classic description of Slackpacking, an exquisitely civilized and sensible approach to hiking.

G.

Sensible? BUT, Grumpy . . . say it aint so :D . . . if you did it this way you'd would miss the 2 BEST parts of distance hiking . . . sleeping outdoors and not having a bunch of "stuff" to think about (logistics). No?

sli74

Slackpackin'

Since I like to go as light and fast as possible, I would *LOVE* to run the AT (and PCT and CO Trail and LT and...) this way. I thru-hiked the AT in '94, just before the "lightweight hiking boom." My pack was H-E-A-V-Y for me(anywhere from 30-50 lbs. depending on whether I was hiking into or out of town), partly because all the gear just plain weighed more.

Interesting that Warren Doyle's name came up. At the end of my run last week, I met him bringing a new register to the Apple House (an AT shelter). He lives nearby in Banner Elk. Small world. :)

If you're interested--and have a lot of time on your hands--here's an extensive & impressive website of an ultrarunning acquaintance who thru-hiked the Trail last year while her husband (and dogs) slackpacked her.

http://runtrails.net/journal/intro.htm

I know a lady who started March 11th, I just mailed her a care package to Hot Springs, NC. She's enjoying the trail besides the fact that while hiking through the Smokies, the man she was hiking with died in his sleep right next to her in the shelter :eek: :eek:
She took a few days off in Gatlainburg.....

I keep looking back through my journal, thinking.......where was I this time last year, gotta love the AT, the people, the trail, the weather, it's all good. But then again..........time heals all of the painful memories :)

sli74 said:
Sensible? BUT, Grumpy . . . say it aint so :D . . . if you did it this way you'd would miss the 2 BEST parts of distance hiking . . . sleeping outdoors and not having a bunch of "stuff" to think about (logistics). No?

It is so, I'm afraid. The way I see it, by slackpacking you just replace one set of logistics problems with another. And there are no slackpacker rules that prohibit sleeping outdoors. You can get your outdoor sleeping done along the trail during post-lunch siestas.

I was a backpacker, once upon a time. Have seen the light. :D

(But to each his own.)

G.

Slackpacking

My longest backpacks were 150 miles..I just haven't had the window of opportunity to backpack for more than 15 days; but I *can see* that if I were out long distance and felt I was getting burnt and had the opportunity to set up some slackpacks, I would certainly consider them.