Kancamagus Condition / Pine Bend Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Anyone been across the Kanc since the storm? Thinking about the Tripyramids via Pine Bend Brook on Sat. Curious what the condition of the road is and whether or not the road has been widened yet for parking near trailhead. Haven't seen any trip reports on VFTT or NETC since the snow this week. I prefer coming in from Rte 93 but can come in via Rte 16 if that is in better shape. If anyone has any info it would be appreciated. My car is lousy in the snow. Thanks.

And if there is no parking space what is my best alternate (other than shoveling) - Livermore Trail Parking area and take Livermore Trail, Scaur Ridge, etc? Do they plow Livermore Parking?

P.S. I apologize in advance if this belonged in the WMNF Road Status. I posted it there first but it isn't obvious there is a new post there so I posted here to so it would be seen. Close/move as needed.

Livermore parking is plowed by WV for the XC skiers, but hikers are welcome to use it as well. Personally, I prefer the Scaur Ridge approach given that I live along rt 49.

P.S. I apologize in advance if this belonged in the WMNF Road Status. I posted it there first but it isn't obvious there is a new post there so I posted here to so it would be seen. Close/move as needed.
The WMNF Road status thread is mainly about opening and closing of the gates on the Forest roads, the this question is probably better handled here.

Livermore parking is plowed by WV for the XC skiers, but hikers are welcome to use it as well. Personally, I prefer the Scaur Ridge approach given that I live along rt 49.

If you are worried about parking on the road then you could also consider using Sabbaday, as that this plowed out. I think it's a bit over a mile road walk (pretty sure < 2 miles). The Pine Bend trail is very popular in winter though, so odds are you wouldn't be parked alone.

Last winter I took Pine Bend Brook Trail. It had snowed ~8" the afternoon/night leading up. There was a wide plow-out on the North side of the road for parking, no problem. The road itself was still slippery coming through the pass, but it should be fine by now.

So yea, not first-hand current info but I wouldn't worry in your shoes. Worst case, as previously suggested, you park at Sabbaday and walk the mile to Pine Bend Brook Trail.

Pine Bend and Sabbaday have not been used since it snowed, at least not near the summits. Scaur, on the other hand, has seen a solo snowshoer in each direction (note: it's still pretty soft.)

Tim

Pine Bend and Sabbaday have not been used since it snowed, at least not near the summits. Scaur, on the other hand, has seen a solo snowshoer in each direction (note: it's still pretty soft.)Tim

I saw your report on NETC. That is some dedication level pre-hiking the Tripyramids and cleaning up the blowdowns for me just to give me a thorough answer! ;)

On a serious note, you didn't have much to say comment wise. Any steep ledges or anything on Scaur Ridge or is it just steady? Thinking of breaking out my larger snowshoes with the unbroken snow conditions if the grade is just steady. I know the Livermore Road portion is pretty straightforward but I've never gone up Scaur Trail. Do you think a larger snow shoe will be too tedious or is it alright?

This is probably too late for your needs, but the Kanc. was not widened yesterday. We parked as far off the south side as we could, with no problems. Pine Bend is broken out by a group of three, out and back.

This is probably too late for your needs, but the Kanc. was not widened yesterday. We parked as far off the south side as we could, with no problems. Pine Bend is broken out by a group of three, out and back.

No very timely thanks! I had something come up and had to post pone until tomorrow. Was debating my 36" snow shoes considering no one had been out. Probably stay with my usual now. Appreciate the info.

North and South side of road was opened up enough today to get most reasonable sized cars outside the white line on the road. Bigger vehicles may stick out into road a bit.

And the trails are very fully packed out (as some of the trail reports hitting today indicate now) except Sabbaday Falls as Tim pointed out. Doesn't look like that trail has been packed out in quite some time. Not even an indent in snow to suggest a track never mind any actual tracks. Great time to hit this area. Awesome hike today. Thanks for the info guys. Was the "tipping point" that got me over there today.