Kinsman Backpack cold and rainy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
The weather hadn't looked so bad for the weekend. Partly sunny on Saturday and then some showers on Sunday...it didn't give Meb and I any reason to cancel our plans for an overnight at Kinsman Pond shelter. Nor did arriving at Lonesome lake trailhead in light showers and gray skies. We donned our heavy packs, draped ourselves in ponchos, and with good spirits headed off toward the hut. We made good time to the hut. Any snow on the trail was well packed and it was easier than other trails to stay on the monorail. We opted not to cross the lake(open water along the edges) :eek:

At the hut, we met the hut master Julia, who had just filled in for the night. We were pleasantly surprised when she said yes to our invitation of joining us. Having a third person made the next stretch of the trail go by way too fast!! The Fishin Jimmy was in better shape than I expected. Pretty wet, but manageable....there were enough rocks and roots above water that you could make it across small trail ponds with relatively dry feet. As we climbed higher, we ran into well packed snow, and continued to bareboot. At the junction, we headed to the newly constructed Kinsman Pond Shelter. Here we enjoyed egg salad sandwiches and dropped some of our gear before heading to North Kinsman. From this point on we used our snowshoes, although the only other person hiking on this wet and miserable day continued to bearboot without trouble.

At the summit of North Kinsman, Julia headed back down to the hut...she had to get back to meet friends and Meb and I continued on to South Kinsman. I found this section of trail quite nice. Recent snow and warmer weather had made the snow a little more level, we were not walking on a balance beam. We hit south Kinsman and then retreated back into the trees, looking forward to returning to the shelter and finally getting out of the rain!!

Back at the shelter, we changed into dry clothes and got into our sleeping bags, enjoying being dry and warm. We sipped hot gatorade and ate lots of yummy food and finally fell into a nice slumber...until....the mouse came out and started nibbling on our packs just behind our heads :eek:

Morning arrived and along with it a nice light drizzle. We had a wonderful cup of coffee, packed up our gear and headed down to the hut. The trees were encased in a thin layer of ice, generally everything was wet. By the time we reached the hut we were soaked. We hung out for a while at the hut, hoping the rain would let up. We tried to get some information on the trail to Cannon, but the hut master offered us nothing....just advice to "head down to your car in these conditions" and "you'll need HEAVY traction to get up to Cannon" :confused: Sometimes I wonder what the job description is to be a hut person?? Anyway, despite the warm woodstove and yummy breakfast cooking, we made the reckless decision to continue with our plan...hike out over Cannon.

So, geared up again, we headed out in the rain. The trail up to cannon was no problem. We were fine with just our snowshoes, and the one area of concern was easily buchwhacked around(following the tracks of those before us). We made the summit, and then decided to head down the ski trail despite my fears of running into a hungry bear :D We used our snowshoes for a little ways, and then barebooted the rest. My first time down these slopes and wow, this mountain is steep!! At the bottom, under clearing skies and NO RAIN, we followed the bike path back to our car.

So, what does it take to survive crap weather backpacking? 1. Acceptance - You will get wet!! 2. Real cream for your morning coffee - nothing makes me happier than a good cup of coffee in the morning 3. Good company - you need a crazy sister to do an adventure like this with :p Fun times MEB!

Nice! I love a good lean-to in bad weather. Mmm ... coffee. :)

Did you go up Hi-Cannon or Lonesome Lake to Kinsman Ridge? When you came down, did you take one of the "front five" ski trails or go all the way down to the lodge first?

Any idea how newly-constructed the shelter was? We were last up there in January '07 and it didn't seem new, but didn't seem old either.

I smashed my head on that one, too. :D

The new shelter is AWESOME!! I think it was built over the summer...it's just like the one at Guyout on the inside. Plenty of clearence in the doorway too.

Even though we stayed on the top platform the mice were still able to climb the walls and find us :eek: ...hard to believe those little critters are up there with so much snow. I eventually got up and hung our packs and moved all of our other stuff to the downstairs. We also decided to turn around so our heads would be at the edge...I've discovered the mice like to run along the walls so I'd rather have them going over my feet instead of my head.

We took the trail from the hut up to Cannon despite being told we should just go back to the car...... :mad: Nothing like getting unsolicited advice.....Coming down I'm not sure what trail we took, the tram was off on our right.

Fun time!

-MEB

Little Sister said:
We hung out for a while at the hut, hoping the rain would let up. We tried to get some information on the trail to Cannon, but the hut master offered us nothing....just advice to "head down to your car in these conditions" and "you'll need HEAVY traction to get up to Cannon" :confused: Sometimes I wonder what the job description is to be a hut person??

You really made me laugh with that one. :D If that hutmaster had any idea who he? she? was talking to. ;) After the trail reports you two have been turning in the last couple of years...Well anyway, thanks for the laugh. :)

sweet!

You sistahs are my kind of hikers!
The four of us need to plan an overnighter!

Excellent trip report and I can totally relate to the extreme importance of a good cup of. Coffee! Crucial for my survival!

So, converting hut croo into Mean Girls or what? Thats impressive when you have the charm to be able to talk one of those young kids into an adventure that leaves the nice warm security of the hut. Especially in those conditions. Hopefully they enjoyed it enough to realize you can have fun out in the adverse conditions safely and see the other sides of nature's beauty than bluebird days! Last April Sunshine Chris and I hiked to North Kinsman during the nor'easter. When we stopped at that old shelter I was sure nothing would consider it home! Didn't the mice get to treated to any Cabot cheese, after all been a long winter for them too? I broke my swiss bob in on the glades ski trail off KRT in mid March. That mountain gives one helluva rocket ride down! Glad you two had a fun and safe backpack! Awesome! :cool:

So glad you two had an awesome time!

We started up the Olivarian Brook trail with a nice 'Goodwin' start at the crack of noon, thinking the rain would have settled down by then. Nope. The 'plan' was to hit Whiteface and Passaconaway then camp somewhere off the Sleeper Trail, then hit the Tri's in the morning and back down to the Kanc.

Well, after a few hours on the trail and a couple of, um, interesting river crossings, and the seemingly endless balance beam walk we decided it was a really great night to be in a house watching movies, drinking beer and eating popcorn! Hum, now had we been heading to a shelter, we may have continued on...

We will have to check out this shelter, sounds like an awesome time!

:)

Gee I've got to start hanging out with you girls.

You really know how to live it up on the trails!!!!

Great food, real cream in the coffee and lots of laughs.

My kinda girls....glad you had a nice time.