Ktaadn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
After postponing the BP3 for 3 years for a variety reasons, this is the year. At 65, I'll finally finish the NE4k despite recent detours with cardiac by-pass and hip arthritis. Started the get-in-shape program for the 3800 vertical, but would like latest opinion on best time to visit the park. Understand there are issues with admission, parking, etc, not to mention weather, snow cover, and bug season.

Advice appreciated.

I been taking vacations at Arcadia NP in the middle of the week towards the end of September. The overnight temperatures can be surprisingly low on a clear night. And sometimes the leaves have already peaked. But that is nitpicking.

I imagine it would be an ideal time for BP as well.

Best time to visit in my opinion is the week after labor day. The place empties out except for possibly Saturdays. Its can get cool at night.

Plenty or room there in June when the park road opens but the bugs will eat you alive.

I'd probably look at 8/15 - 9/15. Anything after & you risk an early snow. Can still be crisp in late August. If you also need Hamlin, I'd recommend going up Hamlin Ridge over to Baxter peak & then down. (If weather & time allows, the Knife Edge) Did this loop in reverse before & we ended up on BSP at the same time as many others who entered the park the same time we did.

By doing Hamlin first, you get to BSP after many people have left for their trip down.

Agree with day after or week after Labor Day...check out the Baxter State Park website for getting day use parking passes or camping info..we did Baxter/Hamlin from Roaring Brook side and found the Saddle Trail to be the easiest of the hardest!! once up on the "tableland" area you can make good time...have fun!!

We're going July 13-17. I've done Baxter and just need Hamlin and North Brother but my friends need all three. We are staying in Chimney Pond bunkhouse and have given ourselves 5 days wiggle room to get the best weather (3 days at CP). My husband is height averse so we will be doing Saddle trail to Baxter and Hamlin (a "T" if you will) - not the knife edge - and then back to the bunkhouse. If all goes well, it will be a comfortable three days: day 1 hike to CP, day 2 do the summits, day 3 hike out and shower/dinner in Millinocket, day 4 North Brother.

When does the 'bug bloom' at BSP begin / end??

For what it’s worth, the first time I went to Baxter, in 1992, I arrived on Sunday, May 17. Black flies were at the Togue Pond gate and arrived at Roaring Brook two days later.

Also, the first four mornings when I got up, the temperature was about 30°, then on Friday it was all of a sudden 70°. That was the beginning of Memorial Day weekend, and the place started filling up as I was driving out. There was a steady stream of vehicles hauling boats. It had been pretty quiet until then. In fact, right after I arrived on Sunday and set up my tent, a moose walked through the next campsite. I moved my car to block my tent as best as I could, worried about a moose stepping on me during the night.

The trails on Katahdin were all closed.

A group of us go ever year in August. We find it easier and better for all concerned if we rent a large camp area so that we do not interfere with anyone else’s wilderness experiences, or anyone interferes with ours.

When does the 'bug bloom' at BSP begin / end??

Bug season begins when there's still snow and mud on the trails. June is intolerable. I went once in mid-July and IIRC the bugs were not a big issue, though certainly present. By mid-August to mid-September, it would be gorgeous up there, especially mid-week if you can swing it.

I always went the first or 2nd week of August and backpacked for 9 days and thought the weather, trails and bugs to be great. Best of luck to you.

I have been there in June and there are plenty of bugs and plenty of vacant campsites, bring tent with good netting or stay in bunkhouse

I have been there mostly in September, nice if sunny but chilly in rain, short days

Oct even shorter days, above treeline closed one day due to snowfall overnight

Hiked up Abol, down Hunt on Labor day a few years ago. Bluebird skies and no bugs. Slightly below freezing at start, but in 50s by the time I got to Baxter peak. Another trip on October 1 was not so nice, with wicking fog, heavy winds, rain and no views (& it snowed that night, after our hike).

Anyone ever hike it from the West side? Seems a very sustained hike that way.

The only approaches via trail from the "west" are Abol and the Hunt Trail (AT). The loop using Hunt and Abol, CCW or CW is a classic done my most day hikers. Its a long day but any way you cut it its a long day.

We were there on Labor Day weekend several years ago and, though it had been booked full, three of us had the Chimney Pond bunkhouse all to ourselves for the two nights we stayed there! The ranger called it, "no impact camping, you pay your fee and don't show up." We had a great day to climb Katahdin in spite of weather forecasts which I think had probably discouraged many hikers.

I wouldn't compare Baxter Park to Acadia, weather wise. Acadia is influenced by sea water temperature which probably peaks late summer. Baxter Park is in three major weather patterns and, combined with the generally higher elevation, has much cooler and I think less predictable weather. I'd allow a lot of time in the Park to accommodate the finicky weather, especially with your travel distance. There are plenty of good hikes if conditions don't justify a summit on any given day.

I don't like black flies but found that I can tolerate them with a number of strategies ranging from dietary considerations and the most benign herbal lotions to just short of self incineration. They rarely influence my travel plans but I do think you have to be alert to snow conditions in late spring-early summer. One year a few trails were closed well into late June. If you're thinking late spring-early summer ask the Park about snow conditions and the probability of trail closures. Nice thing is the days are long and you can linger to your heart's content.

If you like to fish, trout are biting that time of year. Even if you're not, fiddleheads and trout are a big local delicacy that time of year.

We'll be there just after the 4th of July this year.