L.L. Bean Crestas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these boots? Adkdremn recommended them to me so I bought them. I have been wearing them for a week now just to get them broken in and they seem to be very comfortable. I plan on doing a small hike in them this weekend on some steep terrain to see how they feel. Right now they get a big thumbs up :)

I've had a pair for about 3 years and they're good boots, requiring virtually no break-in. I use them on hikes over a good trail. When hiking cross-country or on rough terrain, I wear a boot which provides more rigidity and thicker leather to protect the sides of my feet.

On good trail, they're just the ticket and would recommend them highly. They also have the advantage of wide sizes. They run a little big, so if you have a tougher foot to fit you might want to visit Freeport, although now that Beans has free shipping, that's not as much of an issue.

I used to use LLBean boots. They fit great, were comfortable, and of course their warranty is awesome... but they just didn't hold up. When I really started to get into hiking/backpacking, I found myself getting a new pair every year. Since switching to Asolo, I can usually get 2 or 3 years out of a boot now before they literally fall apart...

So yeah, yada yada yada, LLBean: Gear is decent, but not the best, often more for the casual outdoors person than the serious hiker, but the warranty is awesome and the prices are definitely right. My spiel, of course, is the same subject we've covered here time and time again, so feel free to ignore me. ;) :)

I got three seasons (~800 miles) out of mine and they are still serviceable, but the lugs are not as grippy as I'd like. They are heavy, and do run a bit big. I am cursed with size 12.5 feet which generally means 13s with a superfeet insole...

They were not nearly as expensive as some other options out there. I paid $70 more for my Scarpa Kailash boots which are lighter but are still a bit tight despite a promise they would stretch. I am not convinced they will last as long as the Crestas.

Tim

I have a pair of Cresta boots and I like them a lot. From observing myself (and others) wearing Cresta, I've noticed they slip more than other boots I've had, such as Merrell Chameleon. Unfortunately, the tab for lacing on the Arc Mid model wore through too quickly. Currently, I need the wider toe-box offered by Keen, though the tread is peeling away and is ready for a tube of Shoe Gu.

I've been very pleased with my Cresta boots. They seem to provide the ankle support that I need without being too heavy, although I've never confused them with my lightweight Merrills.

Adam, they performed admirably on the West Rim Trail up in your neck of the woods.

I have always worn Vasque products in the past and I thought I would try something new. The boots I am ready to retire are the Vasque Sundowner that are all leather. I got a good solid 5 years out of them. If I am not happy with the Crestas I will just go back to Vasque :D

I've had mixed luck with the Crestas, but I would mostly recommend them. I bought a pair this summer and did enjoy their easy break in and slightly wider fit than the Asolos and Scarpas I compared them against. However after about 6 or 8 days of hiking the rand started to delaminate from the leather around the toe on one of the boots.

But Bean does stand behind their products so I returned them and got another pair of the same boots. So far these have been great and appear that they will hold up well.

I really did not want gore-tex boots but I didn't find any that fit well without it. I do think they are a bit warm because of the g-t, however they also remained bone dry splashing through 3 weeks of Alaskan rain this summer.

I am on my second pair. First pair had some 3000 odd miles on them before the tread started to get a bit thin. I beat on these things and they keep on ticking. I wear them on the longest of long trail hikes, short hikes, and most importantly whacks. I have hundreds of miles on these boots whacking and they take the punishment. A good heavy boot that gives great protection all around. A bit heavy (though to be fair they are meant as backpacking boots....or at least the time I bought mine that is what they were being advertised as), but you get increased protection out of it. I don't think you will find a sturdier pair of boots short of putting Sherman tanks on your feet.

Brian

I love mine! I wouldn't want to wear anything else. They're rugged and hold up extremely well.

They broke in nicely (I waxed them three times a week for the first month, twice a week for the second month, and once a week for the third--and they soaked up every ounce of wax I gave them).

They are excellent value. They are on the heavy side, but I like the thick sole and the thick leather and I always feel like my feel are well protected.

For me, at least, I couldn't ask for anything more out of a boot.

Brian

Cresta's

I am on my third pair. I would recommend them for sure. I also treat mine with a heavy coat of sno coat. Never had any problem with moisture. Great boot for the money. Would buy another pair without hesitation.

I saw 2 kinds on their site, which did u get? Just found a tear in my Montrails after app 7 years. Ripped where the stitching was in the front above the lace area. Time for a new pair of something for 3 seasons.

I had a pair of these that I wore for 3 or 4 years on 30+ high peak trips. On one trip I slipped down a large rock and twisted/bent one of the lace loops.

I called to ask LLBean how to fix ...... and they told me to return and they would replace the boots. ...... 100% satisfaction is guaranteed.

I now have a new pair ........ free