Leave no Trace...Really?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...That night, I got up to pee, and decided to pee her name into the snow in a place where she would see it in the morning...

For our anniversary I bought my wife a pair of earrings. Thanks for the new idea.

These threads are valuable and even I can learn to change how I act in the backcountry. I hike in goat country and am quite concerned about thier love for the salt in urine. From now on when I pee in goat country, Im using two hands, one to hold and one to fend off goats, this could turn into a serious injury from a salt seeking aggressive goat. Thank god I pack HP just in case.:eek:

These threads are valuable and even I can learn to change how I act in the backcountry. I hike in goat country and am quite concerned about thier love for the salt in urine. From now on when I pee in goat country, Im using two hands, one to hold and one to fend off goats, this could turn into a serious injury from a salt seeking aggressive goat. Thank god I pack HP just in case.:eek:
The Olympic NP Mountain Goat Action Plan has some good info on mountain goat behavior and threat displays. IMO, worth reading if you are planning on entering goat terrain. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNHQNZL9M1_SvnKfr4hQHLPL5bFgDg&cad=rja

Doug

Ive been very close to alot of goats, I seem to be able to approach wildlife readily, even petting a family of goats on Torre's peak (CO). In my experience goats are very non threatning by nature and Ive seen and walked around both individuals and herds.

Ive been very close to alot of goats, I seem to be able to approach wildlife readily, even petting a family of goats on Torre's peak (CO). In my experience goats are very non threatning by nature and Ive seen and walked around both individuals and herds.
According to Goat Action Plan (see my previous post), truly wild goats will stay 200m or more away, but some habituated allow close approach. The recent attacks and threats are reported to generally come from habituated males in heat.

Many years ago, a mountain goat ran across and stopped on the trail ~20 feet from me. We just looked at each other for a short while before it headed off. Highline Tr, Glacier NP.

Doug

Many years ago, a mountain goat ran across and stopped on the trail ~20 feet from me. We just looked at each other for a short while before it headed off. Highline Tr, Glacier NP.

Doug

Are you both talking about these;

P1010188.JPG

or these ?;

rocky_mountain_goats_06.jpg

The first pic is mine from Mt Washburn, Yellowstone. Herd seemed used to people, but I only got within, maybe, 20' of this one. Definately not a petting zoo situation regardless. The second photo is the type of goat that's in the Olympic action plan. What are these both properly called ? Goats and Rocky Mountain Goats ?

that first pic of that goat is cracking me up. i want him for my hiking partner.

Are you both talking about these;

P1010188.JPG

or these ?;

rocky_mountain_goats_06.jpg

The first pic is mine from Mt Washburn, Yellowstone. Herd seemed used to people, but I only got within, maybe, 20' of this one. Definately not a petting zoo situation regardless. The second photo is the type of goat that's in the Olympic action plan. What are these both properly called ? Goats and Rocky Mountain Goats ?

Chip, I could be dead wrong about this (the chances are very good), but I think the first pick is a female bighorn sheep. They're known for hanging out on the slopes of Mt Washburn. Check out the pic of the ewe here.