Leki, Probably as good as you'll find.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
As many of you know, Leki has a Lifetime Shaft Breakage Warranty on their trekking poles. On Saturday, April 5 while I was hiking with Trail Trotter I managed to take a pretty good fall and break the upper shaft section of one of my Leki poles in the process. (I lost a shoulder too - but that is covered elsewhere, and it will grow back.)

On April 7 I sent an email to Leki telling them of the problem and asked if they thought this would fall under the terms of their Lifetime Shaft Breakage Warranty. Within minutes I had an automated response. A few minutes more and a live person was on the phone with me discussing the matter and apologizing for being unable to send a replacement upper shaft section for my poles since they were no longer in stock. The Leki representative (Melanie) asked if it would be acceptable if they sent a replacement set of poles. Well, I’ve got a new best friend! Of course it was acceptable.

This afternoon the UPS truck dropped off a new set of Leki Thermolite XL AS poles.

Leki products aren’t the cheapest you can find. In fact, they’re probably closer to the top of the price scale. One thing I have learned over the years is I have never been disappointed in a product when I purchased it based on quality, instead of price. In my view Leki makes a quality product with a great warranty. Then, when something happens they stand behind their warranty 100%.

This kind of customer support is what causes customers for life. They can count on my business and recommendation.

Leki, what a company!

Too bad they didn’t write the warranty on me. ;)

That is good service, Earl. I broke the shaft on one of my Makalu's last fall, and since there's a few years old, I "assumed" that was that. But, now I'll drop them a line and see what happens.

Leki is the best. I've broken sections of three poles - each time the pole sacrificed itself to keep me from a serious tumble. 4 legs good, 2 legs bad. Leki has replaced the section each time. They were most interested when the pole had deformed but not snapped - they felt they could learn from that and had me send it back to them.

I have given poles as gifts and Leki are the only ones I will give, not only because I feel the Cor-tec PA handles are the most comfortable by far, but because they stand behind their product.

I bought a set of poles from another company and they were good poles, I was very happy with them but I broke them the next day. I took them back to where I bought them the next day and asked about the warranty. The clerk made a face and was hedging and and I was getting POd. I even suggested that since they broke so quick maybe there was a defect.

BLAH BLAH BLAH....

I offered to trade up, I'd buy more expensive poles if he would take them back & I'd pay the difference. When he said lifetime warranty and I had to deal directly with the company I said "Sold" I didn't want to deal with a clerk like this guy again.

I called Leki to confirmed the warranty. My friends gave me this those are expensive poles talk when we were are hiking, they with Walmart poles and all I could say was lifetime warranty. No worries. :)

Last edited:
Have used my Leki Super Makalu for almost five years now and guessing at least 3,000 miles on them. One of the polees are slightly bent, the cm markings are gone, but they hold strong. Broke a few pairs of Komperdells before that.

Also have a pair of Black Diamond Spire, but it fells like they can easily brake if they bend in the wrong direction due to their eliptical shape.

Just a week ago I got the new Leki Carbonlite Antishock poles. They have an improved adjustment mechanism for the wrist straps. With the Super Makalu you needed a coin or something to unscrew the top to be able to adjuste the strap length. With the Leki Carbonlite poles you just push up the top of the pole and easily shorten or lengthen the straps and then snap the top back on. Very useful in winter especially when you put mittens on. They are wicked light also....13 ounces.

sardog1 said:
When I figure out how to break my Leki poles, I'll remember this thread. I've tried very hard over the last seven years and just haven't got the hang of it yet. Looks like "orthopædics" will have to be involved. ;)
I broke my leg in 2 places in my skiing crash. My 20-30 year old (2 section) Leki poles emerged unscathed and continue to function flawlessly...

I also have a 3 section set of poles, but haven't tested them in any bone-breaking crashes [yet].

I generally use the 2-section poles skiing and the 3-section poles hiking. Needless to say, both sets of poles have survived a number of less dramatic incidents.

Doug

I've had both Komperdell and Leki poles in the past three years. I started out with the Komperdell ones that I bought through REI. Although they served me well, within one season the locking mechanism was undependable (to say the least). I'd often wind up with poles the right height for a child and not for an adult. Eventually I got too frustrated with them and REI thankfully accepted my return and gave me my money back. I cannot speak for their current locking mechanism, but the one that I've had experience with was crud.

After giving up the Komperdells, both my (now) husband and I went and bought Leki. He got the Super Makalu and I got the Makalu. We have had them for probably two years now and I haven't found a way to be unhappy with them. The locking mechanism is much more solid and dependable than the Komperdells that I had. Price wise, they [the Leki ones] were only slightly higher than the Komps. But it was money well spent. If we ever manage to kill our Lekis [which I doubt we will], I know we'll just pick up another pair. They have been awesome.

sardog1 said:
When I figure out how to break my Leki poles, I'll remember this thread. I've tried very hard over the last seven years and just haven't got the hang of it yet. Looks like "orthopædics" will have to be involved. ;)
DougPaul said:
I broke my leg in 2 places in my skiing crash. My 20-30 year old (2 section) Leki poles emerged unscathed and continue to function flawlessly...

I also have a 3 section set of poles, but haven't tested them in any bone-breaking crashes [yet].

I generally use the 2-section poles skiing and the 3-section poles hiking. Needless to say, both sets of poles have survived a number of less dramatic incidents.

Doug
You guys are going about it all wrong. :rolleyes:

First, you need to get the right test conditions. In my case, the gross weight (me plus the pack and other stuff) comes in at a little over 260 lbs. Get that particular mass headed uncontrolled down a steep incline and then attempt to suppport/stop it with a pair of poles and defective shoulders - you'll manage to break something almost every time. I believe the pole that broke had also penetrated the crusty snow to at least half of its length - perhaps more. That's leverage!

:D

BIGEarl said:
You guys are going about it all wrong. :rolleyes:

First, you need to get the right test conditions. In my case, the gross weight (me plus the pack and other stuff) comes in at a little over 260 lbs. Get that particular mass headed uncontrolled down a steep incline and then attempt to suppport/stop it with a pair of poles and defective shoulders - you'll manage to break something almost every time. I believe the pole that broke had also penetrated the crusty snow to at least half of its length - perhaps more. That's leverage!

:D

We umm have a lot (of weight) in common. That is similar to how I broke my poles and why I like the lifetime warranty.

:)

Wanted to follow-up on this thread. Based upon Earl's experience, I emailed Leki and today received two replacement sections. Once again - thanks for the tip, Earl, and also to Melanie for her prompt service.

And BTW - I don't think it's that tough to break a section. Whether you fall on them (as I did in this instance) they also weaken or outright break by whacking snow off branches, freeing snow/ice from crampons or snowshoes, scoring them when passing too close to sharp rocks, etc. After all, they're not titanium!

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
Wanted to follow-up on this thread. Based upon Earl's experience, I emailed Leki and today received two replacement sections. Once again - thanks for the tip, Earl, and also to Melanie for her prompt service.
Kevin,

Glad everything worked out for you. Based on my personal experience I'm not at all surprised. Their warranty says the shafts won't break. If they break, Leki will replace them.

You're another example of these folks standing behind their product and warranty - 100%.

;)

Let's face it--any pole that is light enough to carry isn't hard to break if you stick the tip between two rocks and pull the handle to the side.

Leki has chosen to replace broken poles/pole sections rather than try to differentiate between abuse and manufacturing defects.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Leki has chosen to replace broken poles/pole sections rather than try to differentiate between abuse and manufacturing defects.

Agreed. It's good PR and good for business. My guess is they end up replacing but a fraction of all the poles they sell, and a sterling reputation is hard to build.

Reminds me of Toyota who is offering to buy back certain Tacomas at 1.5 times high book and offer other incentives as well. That will cost them something in the short term, but the longterm benefits will likely far outweigh them. Leki is German and Toyota Japanese - maybe there's a message in there for American companies?

/off soapbox.

Kevin Rooney said:
Agreed. It's good PR and good for business. My guess is they end up replacing but a fraction of all the poles they sell, and a sterling reputation is hard to build.
It may increase the cost of the poles somewhat, but is also useful quality control feedback to help them make their poles more resistant to the failures that actually happen in real use.

Doug

1ADAM12 said:
Check out this LINK Campmor has a few brands made by Leki for half the price ;)
I looked at one--steel rather than the usual Leki silicon carbide tips.

Products made by one manufacturer to be sold under a different brand name are not always made to the same specs as the products sold under the manufacturer's name. Sometimes they are better, sometimes they are worse. And they may not carry the same warranty.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I looked at one--steel rather than the usual Leki silicon carbide tips.

Products made by one manufacturer to be sold under a different brand name are not always made to the same specs as the products sold under the manufacturer's name. Sometimes they are better, sometimes they are worse. And they may not carry the same warranty.

Doug

Good to know! :)