Lonesome lake water source?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i believe lonesome lake has a hand pump well much like zealand falls that allows water to drop back down below the frost line so it won't freeze in winter. carter notch still gets winter water from the lower lake last i knew.

bryan

AMC spent a lot of money installing wells several years ago to get around testing requirements for public surface water supplies. I suspect that in some areas, the wells are quite shallow but by identifying them as an underground source, the testing requirements are less.

Is the water in winter from the lake or a well?
Last year the water was being boiled out of the lake until things consistently thawed out for some time. So I imagine that will probably be the case this year as well. Lonesome has the shallowest of the 8 hut wells if I am not mistaken.

I stayed overnight at Lonesome Lake in January and we pumped water out of the well to re-supply the hut containers. Temperature was in the single-digits that weekend and there was no problem getting water pumped out.

Just an additional comment - I just remembered that we also boiled the water that we pumped out, but that was for cooking purposes. Whether it's ok to drink without boiling first, I couldn't say.

For some reason, my memory from just last winter is fuzzy... BUT I think I remember cranking this hand pump in the winter to get water. We drank it right out of the spigot with no ill effects.

I remember being told by the caretaker one time that it was okay to directly drink the water out of the pump. This, of course, can vary over time...