Looking for cheap, heavyweight fleece.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
I thought this would be a simple thing to find, but apparently not (for me). I'm looking for a basic, heavy weight (300 weight) fleece layer. It doesn't need any fancy pockets, zips, cords, etc. I want it as a warm layer between my soft shell and regular shell. I might use it without the shell too. I'm finding most of the basic fleece's are 200 weight. Anything heavier is way too expensive. I don't want to spend more than $40-$50.

Right now I have a 300 weight EMS fleece but it's one size too large for me and it's loaded with all kinds of unnecessary pockets, pit zips and zippers (I like things simple and light). The main problem is the extra bulk from being too large makes too many airspaces and bunches of extra material under the straps.

Maybe I should grab two midweight fleece jackets, or maybe a jacket and a vest. Campmor has a lot of cheap fleece pullovers and jackets.

When I am really cold, I wear TWO 200-weight fleece jackets under my gortex shell. It works pretty well and allows me to work the layer in multiple different ways. That is what I would suggest even if you do find a cheap 300-weight fleece . . . just my $0.02

sli74

Mongoose said:
I thought this would be a simple thing to find, but apparently not (for me). I'm looking for a basic, heavy weight (300 weight) fleece layer. It doesn't need any fancy pockets, zips, cords, etc. I want it as a warm layer between my soft shell and regular shell. I might use it without the shell too. I'm finding most of the basic fleece's are 200 weight. Anything heavier is way too expensive. I don't want to spend more than $40-$50.

is wool ok? if so, try going to a nearby department store, I think this time of year (late Jan / early Feb) is when they are having winter closeouts. I own 7 or 8 wool sweaters that I got for < $20 apc.

I bought a 300 weight fleece for about $40 from the sierra trading post last winter and it's served me really well. Check the following thread for coupon codes:
link

www.sierratradingpost.com

Whether wool or fleece here are a few considerations.

Each layer needs to slip over the prior layer(s). You may need to try the next layer on to assure that it fits over the layers beneath. Air between layers, being a good insulator if you keep the drafts out, is better than tight fits between layers.

I like chest pockets in either the outer or next layer, or both. They are much more convenient than taking off a backpack and fumbling through it.

The shoulder straps can wear on the outer layer so, depending upon how hard you are on your gear, it may be a better buy to spend a little more $$$ and get something that will hold up.

A fleece vest as a second layer has always worked for me. I can add a second fleece with or without the shell or just my shell as needed (or the down which is in the pack but rarely worn).

Pilgrim's link to Cabela's has some cheap stuff. This fleece is 200 weight, but at only $20 I could get two of them. How well would they layer though?

Mongoose said:
Pilgrim's link to Cabela's has some cheap stuff. This fleece is 200 weight, but at only $20 I could get two of them. How well would they layer though?
I know everyone's different but I have a 200 weight I hardly ever bring it's so warm. I normally go base layer, hooded 100 weight fleece and then hard shell, if needed. In my pack is another base layer, 100 weight jacket and a hooded down parka. If I thought it was going to be really cold I'd switch the non-hooded 100 weight with the 200.

arghman said:
is wool ok? if so, try going to a nearby department store, I think this time of year (late Jan / early Feb) is when they are having winter closeouts. I own 7 or 8 wool sweaters that I got for < $20 apc.
Wool is fine. Several friends even installed full front zips in some of their wool sweaters to increase the thermal control.

Back before there was fleece, we used wool. Works as well as it ever did. Fleece has some advantages, but not so much that I would shun wool. I still use wool pants (the original soft-shell fabric...).

BTW, an issue with layers of fleece jackets and vests. They tend to make the collar thicker than the rest of the garment, so if you try to wear 3 or more, the collar gets a bit bulky.

FWIW, I have a bunch of fleece jackets and vests in varying weights and mix and match to meet my needs-of-the-moment.

Doug

I personally prefer Polarguard/Primaloft insulation versus fleece these days. (Lighter, compresses better, equally as warm) Although it was a nice jacket, I had returned my Denali 300-weight fleece jacket to EMS and now carry a Patagonia Micropuff pull-over as my middle layer. It weighs 12 oz. compared to 26 oz. for the fleece jacket. Anyhow, I found the following link for a fairly inexpensive 300-weight fleece jacket. Good luck.

Inexpensive Fleece Jacket

Don't the primaloft/synthetic insulation layers get compressed a lot under a pack or heavy shell? I have a down sweater but I only use it around camp because I find it gets compressed to nothing with anything on top of it.

Mongoose said:
Don't the primaloft/synthetic insulation layers get compressed a lot under a pack or heavy shell? I have a down sweater but I only use it around camp because I find it gets compressed to nothing with anything on top of it.

I usually place it at the top of my pack, but it handles compression quite well. It actually comes with a stuff sack. I haven't yet had a need to wear my hard shell over it. It's amazingly warm. I had gotten a sweet deal on it at Sierra Trading Post (~ $70), but it was a closeout so I had to settle for bright orange. :) I also picked up a Marmot Rhime jacket at the LL Bean outlet for like $70. It's really light/warm as well, and uses primaloft as it's insulation. The only fleece that I currently use while hiking is an occasional vest. Don't get me wrong, I do like fleece and have plenty of it, but I use it primarily for around town, etc. I prefer the warmth-to-weight ratio of primaloft/polarguard for my dayhikes.

Mongoose said:
BillK said:
I usually place it at the top of my pack, but it handles compression quite well. It actually comes with a stuff sack. I haven't yet had a need to wear my hard shell over it. It's amazingly warm. <snip> Don't get me wrong, I do like fleece and have plenty of it, but I use it primarily for around town, etc. I prefer the warmth-to-weight ratio of primaloft/polarguard for my dayhikes.
BillK,
I think you are missing Mongoose's point--the pressure of your pack against your back compresses the primaloft to almost nothing and reduces your insulation. (Insulation is primarily related to thickness--that is why the lofted down of a sleeping bag is adequate above you, but you need a pad below you to replace the insulation lost when the down is compressed by your weight).

Mongoose,
Remember the bulk of the pack and straps also provides insulation to replace that lost by the compressed primaloft.

General comments:
* If it is snowing, the warm interface between the primaloft and the pack will melt lots of snow, thereby getting the primaloft wet. A water-proof shell may be needed here--but your pack will still get wet. The cold layer against your back will also tend to collect sweat. Generally less of a problem for fleece.
* Most people will find the primaloft jacket too warm--one of the advantages of fleece is that it comes in thinner layers of several thicknesses.
* Durability: the fleece will likely stand up to the punishment of being between you and your pack a lot longer than will the primaloft.
* I generally prefer wool/fleece for while in motion and add my down/primaloft etc for when stopped.

An example of the difference:
* If I wear a down jacket and go sit in my car, I will get cold because there will be very little insulation between the car seat and my back.
* If I wear a fleece (or fleece + down) jacket and go sit in my car, no problem.

Doug

I apologize if I missed your point Mongoose. None of the issues mentioned by DougPaul have been an issue for me. What motiviated me to moving away from fleece was when my pack started approaching 25-30lbs due to new emergency related gear I had added. (down jacket, pad, stove, etc.) I tend to run real cold and don't produce all that much heat, so I find the primaloft/polarguard much more comfortable for me. Like with anything, it's best to test the various kinds of gear yourself to see what's going to work best for you. Good luck with your choice.

No apologizes needed. I run really cold also and have a down suit I carry with me, but I find the down doesn't work as well as fleece under a pack load. Synthetic insulation is a little thicker than down I believe, so maybe it works better.

Mongoose said:
No apologizes needed. I run really cold also and have a down suit I carry with me, but I find the down doesn't work as well as fleece under a pack load. Synthetic insulation is a little thicker than down I believe, so maybe it works better.

Mongoose, it may be worth reading the literature from PolarGuard. I haven't done much research on primaloft, but PolarGuard Delta (Insulation used in my Patagonia MicroPuff Pull-over), uses a continuous filament, and unlike some down jackets, will not mat, clump or pull apart, which can cause cold spots to form. It's really amazing how warm this 12 oz. jacket is. I was sold after the first time wearing it in the mountains. Unforutnately, these type of jackets don't come cheap. I wouldn't have made the purchase if it wasn't for the closeout sale. The only drawback that I've seen thus far when compared to fleece is that it does tend to run warmer, and probably doesn't breath quite as well, but considering that I run cold to begin with, this isn't an issue for me. I'm sure it is for many others however. Anyhow, best of luck with your selection.

Last edited:
BillK said:
Mongoose, it may be worth reading the literature from PolarGuard. I haven't done much research on primaloft, but PolarGuard Delta (Insulation used in my Patagonia MicroPuff Pull-over), uses a continuous filament, and unlike some down jackets, will not mat, clump or pull apart, which can cause cold spots to form.
I've read some comments (not from the manufacturer) to the effect that PolarGuard Delta loses its loft faster than some of the other Polyester filament insulations.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I've read some comments (not from the manufacturer) to the effect that PolarGuard Delta loses its loft faster than some of the other Polyester filament insulations.

Doug

I believe the jury's still out on that claim as I don't think the technology is all that old. It is being used in TNF Cat's Meow sleeping bag and that won a 2006 Backpacker magazine Editor's Choice Gold award. Unfortunately I can't speak to that claim as I've only worn mine through this winter, but I haven't noticed any degredation in loft thus far. Only time will tell I guess. I am very impressed with Patagonia's workmanship. This is the first product that I've purchased of theirs.