Looking for conditioning advice...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with the running. Especially hill running. It's the best way to get in shape for backpacking, IMO.

Rick said:
oes anyone else commute to work via bike?? (I know Pete does it all winter long in the frozen arctic).

Yeah, I know you know, Rick, but let me say this about that:

Even though the time and distance may be small, day after day, week after week, year after year bike riding pays off. I find that when the 'bike season' starts, all I have to do to prepare myself for a 100+ mile ride, is to go for a 3 hour ride the weekend before.

That everyday stuff really seems to provide a base.... BTW, I've got over 22,000 miles of bike riding in the winter... and I only do 16 miles (total) a day. As well as providing the physio/cardio stuff, THAT kind of riding gets my body used to being in the winter/cold....plus it also burns the stree from the day job.... plus... I write songs while commuting.

GO FOR IT!

I stairstep with a loaded pack for an hour/4x week leading up to my big trips. We usually do a 2 week trip to the Rockies and multiple weekends and overnights on the right coast, and I've found between the trail time with the pack and the stairstepping I'm usually doing quite well.....typically better than my compadres who live at altitude while hiking in their backyards. :eek:

With the stairstepping, I start slowly....maybe a 20lb pack (my 10-14 day pack is usually 3x that) and work with that for a few weeks, and build up to where I'm carrying 75lbs or so....then, when I get on the trail the 60lbs almost feels light (well, initially, anyway). Garners lotsa strange looks at the gym, but that's alright.....serves me well. Everything else that's been said is great advice as well......just thought I'd add my .02

Lots of good advice. I'll throw in my long-winded, boring 2 cents too. This comes from a competitive coaching background in a fitness sport (swimming) and my own pursuits (like triathlons, hiking & occasional road races).

Essentially, training for a multiple day, long, intense hiking ventures are similar to training for a long endurance races (triathlons, marathon). The basic premise and goal will be to take your current fitness level and increase your overall aerobic capacity and oxygen uptake levels (VO2 Max). This will allow you body to tolerate longer periods of harder work without shifting from an aerobic energy system to an anaerobic system (which will quickly lead to failure). This is a primary training goal for ALL endurance based athletes.

If your really interested in it, I'd suggest loosely following a training regiment for those type events (-LIKE THIS TRIATHLON ONE-) or an 8-10 week marathon program. These programs are designed to increase fitness and your personal VO2 MAX so that you'll be able to perform significantly longer during prolonged aerobic activity (like a multi-day intense hiking). It also will help you keep focused on the goal (your trip) and you'll get in GREAT SHAPE.

Don't be put off by the fact that it’s a triathlon program. You can mix and match as you go. Hate Swimming? Substitute the stair stepper, elliptical machines or any other AEROBIC (not start/stop sports like basketball) activity instead. It really doesn't matter. It's all about increasing fitness. I like the triathlon program, because they add lots of variety. To be honest, many of these programs are virtually the same (physiologically) and they are designed to increase fitness and prolong aerobic activity. They also work in provisions to allow for rapid recovery from occasionally anaerobic bouts (bike hills, run hills, steep climbs, etc) that will translate nicely to the mountains when you will be required to go anaerobic (breathless) on those punishingly steep sections ;).

Don't believe me? Check out this recommended -DENALI MOUNTAINEERING- program. At it's most basic level, it the same frigging program as many of the triathlon, running, cycling and other endurance based programs :eek:

IN THE END, there is NO better training for multi-day pemi hikes, than........well, more multi-day pemi hikes.

Last edited:
focusonbalance said:
Oh, did I mention nutrition? Very important to feed those muscles well. Graze with good carbs and protein mixes all day, low fat, and tons of H2Oand of course eat your veggies :)

Fat is actually a better fuel to burn for long distance endurance events than carbs

Capt. Jim

ps: Pete & Neal in post 10 & 11 are absolutely correct aboutr the training regimen LSD with a little faster than average mixed in... you want your body to train to burn more than glycogen (sugar) hence also my statement that fat is a better long distance fuel

Last edited:
McRat,

If you're gym has one of these

http://store.yahoo.com/gofitness/st70ptst.html

you should use it. My gym has one. IMO it is probably the best trainer for mountain hiking other than actual mountain hiking itself. It is like a mini escalator that you can control like a treadmill. From a slow climb to an all out sprint up stairs. Very nice. TJH

As usual, a lot of solid advice. As a fellow desk jockey, I understand the challenge. I used to bike commute 35 miles round trip and didn't have to think much about how I was going to get a workout. Now I ride the train into Manhattan--more time sitting on my butt!

Although the LSD advice is excellent, remember that anything is better than nothing. Better to get out even for a few minutes than skip the workout because it won't be major. Better to lift weights for five minutes to work a couple muscle groups than skip it because you can't do full reps. If it improves fitness or gets your heart going, it'll help on your trip.

I used to have such an organized workout regimin. Now, my desk-jockey, train-riding, parenting, multi-tasking workout mantra is: anything, anytime, anywhere.

CaptainJim said:
Fat is actually a better fuel to burn for long distance endurance events than carbs
But...
Fats burn in a carbohydrate flame and once you run out of carbs you've bonked.
And...
One of the results/goals of training is to get your muscles to preferentially burn fat (unlimited supply) as opposed to sugar (limited supply).
No matter how in or out of shape you are, the harder you go, the more of that precious sugar you burn. That's why pacing is important.

McRat: Practice some swimming too...those river crossing may require it. :eek: ;)

Other than what everyone else said..hike, hike, hike.

My training regimen used to be 25 to 37 miles of week running, with the long Sunday runs on rolling hills 10 miler @7:30 to 8:00 pace, run 4x more times a week, and a deathmarch(either pace, distance or both) hike on Saturdays. A combination of back injury, work and family knocked the hell out of my routine and I'm struggling to get back to any kind of shape. I'm really interested in this thread as my current level of fitness is such that a consecutive day of hiking is not in the cards and I'd like to get back to an approximation of my former shape.

CaptainJim said:

That's not exactly accurate. Fat becomes more important in LSD training (i.e fitness, endurance based stuff) than it is in purely anaerobic power sports (Lifting, football, shotput, etc..), but it's still not as focal as Carbohydrates are. I would consider mountain hiking (with a pack) as moderately intense aerobic endurance work for the generally fit person and that fuel mix is still about 70/30 - 65/35 Carb to fat burning.

Thats if your a FIT hiker, unfit ones go anaerobic early and often and thus have a higher carb/fat ratio :D. Mall walking and flat easy jogs may be primarily fat burners, but adding some up, rough terrain and even as little as a 10-12 lb daypack, and you'll quickly be into a more carb burning mode.

Here are a couple interesting articles that give a brief overview; -ARTICLE 1- and -ARTICLE 2-.

------------------

TJH - That look like an interesting machine. Every now and again, for giggles, I'll hit this 6 floor stairwell (at the college I coach at) and do a stair workout. It's somewhat amusing and I try to time it so no-one else is around and it goes something like this;

15 minute warm-up (light running)
4 to 6 x (3 sets of 6 floors - 1 stadium run {every step}, 1 walk-up, 1 strides {every other step})
15 minutes warm down (light jogging)

gives you like 70-100 floors and probably a similar workout to this machine. Be warned, that a brutal work out for anyone NOT named (PIN PIN, Tim Seaver, IceNSnow and those like them :))

Last edited:
Some thoughts

Hello McRat -

Lots of good advice is on these pages...here is another one seeing that you live in Malden. Mohamed Ellozy's website lists some great long distance hikes in the Middlesex Fells and the Blue Hills. I used to live in Melrose and did a lot of running and walking in these areas. Here is a link to his page on the Fells:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/strenuous2.html

You can do about 15 miles in there without repeating yourself.

I am planning a similar trip to yours for mid-May probably out for a night at Galehead and a night in Zealand sandwiching in around 9 peaks during the three days and two nights. (Part of my demented idea of trying to finish my 4000 footers before I turn 40 in the Fall...I still have 30 to go). In fact, after hearing about the Twinways reputation for holding late snow, I may rethink this trip, but we'll see...as long as it is bare bootable I will likely do it.

As for my own body and time, I have found that as long as I get outside and walk hard and/or run 3-4 times a week I can enjoy my hikes and do reasonably close to booktime as long as my pack is not too heavy and the trail is not too crazy. I hiked about 26 miles last fall over the Wildcats, Carter Notch and Wild River areas over three days and felt great.

Everyone is different so listen to your body and be sure to rest too...it seems to me that people oftern overdo it and injure themselves in training.

My opinion: a combination of weight lifting and endurance cardio workouts would be the most beneficial. When I was training to do an AT thru hike, I power walked all over the place, (in the mountains when I had time, around my neighborhood or on the treadmill when I didn't) sometimes wearing a 35-40 pound pack, as well as my hiking boots. The more hills, the better. I also lifted weights 4 times per week, including step-ups w/ weights, and reverse lunges. Whatever I had time for, I did, and I mixed it up. I felt very strong from day one.

As long as you have some rest days now and then, I think any workout you can squeeze in will increase the enjoyment of your hike. Good luck!

Neil said:
I found that by tilting a treadmill up to 25% (today's only go to 15%)

I think overall, people need to find out what's right for them. When I get ready to head back out for long hikes, I try to simulate the hikes on my treadmill. When I was shopping for a treadmill, I was told too that they don't go over a 15% grade, but I found one from NordicTrack called Adventurer and it goes up to 25%. You can get the option to program it to simulate hikes in the Tetons too. For myself, I also build up my upper-body stength because it makes a difference when I need to lift my body weight up on rocks and other steep areas.

fats vs carbs

I just wanted to chip in with my athletic training advice.

I'm a distance running coach and a former highly trained runner myself, and from my experience, I know that longer distance activities like biking, hiking, and running marathons are 99% aerobic exercise. You may go anaerobic in a sprint at the end or while you are climbing a particularly steep hill, but like I said, most of the time you are in your fat-burning, aerobic mode.

This said, I firmly believe in eating a balanced diet during the day and during exercise. Trans-fatty acids are the only subgroup I would stay away from. In my experience hiking, the best foods to eat are not all sugars/carbs. You see people eating trail mix because it usually contains peanuts, chocolate, raisins, cereal.... a healthy mixture of proteins, fats, and carbs. This will provide you with sustained energy, rather than spiking your glucose level like an all-carb snack would.

If you had a breakfast of bacon, eggs, and pancakes, you would have a far more successful day of hiking than if you had a 2 liter bottle of Coke and dry cereal. My favorite hiking foods are baked beans, Snickers bars, and oatmeal; all are cost-efficient and have surprisingly well-balanced nutritional qualities (energy-wise, at least) although candy bars have trans-fat in them which is bad for heart disease.

As for training, I would recommend one longer run during the week, preferably at a conversational pace over a moderately hilly loop. I would lift weights to build strength in your quads, hamstrings, and calves, as well as your shoulders, arms, and back. It would also be good to mix in 30-45 minutes of steady cardio such as running, elliptical machines, or stairmasters 3 to 4 times per week. Allowing time for recovery is important.

Some other things to consider: hikers are usually sore at the end of the day due to getting beat up on the downhills. Dehydration causes a decrease in recovery time, so drink fluids often. Try to spread out your effort and don't hike so hard as to put yourself into oxygen-debt. 5 smaller meals are better than 3 big ones.

Thanks for listening to my 2 cents. :)

Pete_Hickey said:
That everyday stuff really seems to provide a base.... BTW, I've got over 22,000 miles of bike riding in the winter...
GO FOR IT!

I only wish I had the could do that - It absolutely amazes me.
Somewhere, I think I still have a piece you wrote long ago about finding $5 bikes and riding them with Sorel boots and crashing into snowbanks to stop.
I thought it was a great read. :)

I definitely agree with Bruno and Sapp on the Fells. Nothing prepares you for backpacking like walking around ungraded land with a backpack. You won't get the huge elevation gains at the Fells, but its convenient to Malden - there are varying loops. Several times I've used the Fells to help get myself back into trail condition.... just put on some boots (your heaviest pair, perhaps), put some weight in your pack and pick a route around the Fells. The trip will also give you some idea of how you'll do on the trail. On top of everything, you can have some fun there.

If you have a dog, your dog will love it.

I also do a lot of bicycling when trying to become trail worthy, as its a good low impact (and fun) way to get some conditioning. I mix that up with walks around town and trips around the Fells and --- Ok this is a bit geeky --- but I also go up and down stairs with hand weights sometimes for a quick bit of excersize when I don't have time to get out to somewhere with ups and downs.

Regional practice hikes.

I'm not sure if there is a section of the fells I haven't hiked yet. It is embarassing to note that I have probably done the majority of my miles within its boundries.

One of my old favorite walks was to start on the Malden side by Brazil St, take the rock circuit trail past the cascades across the fellsway, hit the basin reservoirs, and then take the Cross Fells to the MDC/rink. Walk along Quarter-mile Pond, along Spot Pond to cross under 93 to the Sheepfold, up by Dark Hollow pond to Bear Hill. From there head around the Winchester reservoirs and head for Wright's Tower, take the Skyline and Cross fells back to Malden.

Lately, I'm really taken by the charms of Breakheart Reservation is Saugus. It's on my drive route home, the sun is setting later, just pop on the pack and do a couple of hours. While not much over 300ft, there are quite a few steep little hills on the Ridge Trail and throughout the reservation.

Thanks to everyone for all their great information. I'm sure I'll wind up begging advice again before I set out. ;)

McRat, confused enough yet?

We havn't even got around to discussing slow and fast twitch muscles and training strategies that target each group specifically. Or hypobaric chambers for peakbaggers. :D

One thing everyone agrees on is that if you go out and get some exercise your body will adapt and subsequent exercise will be easier!

Yeah, Neil, I'm confused.

I'm just as mystified that for all our technological advances, the scientific community has yet to reach consensus on what what we should be eating, and has focused on creating less-healthy foods instead.

I never even knew I needed LSD so badly until this comment thread... and now I've achieved oneness with the floor, the walls keep on melting, and I'm in no better shape for hiking. Confusing indeed.