Looking for Snowshoeing Trails for Beginners

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I am looking for suggestions for snowshoeing treks in late February in the general area of Crawford Notch.

I will be joined by 3 friends who have never been on showshoes before. Therefore, I am looking for generally flat trails that would be 3-4 miles or less round trip.

Although we are staying at the Highland Center we're willing to travel as far as the Kancamagus area or equally far north or east.

Across the street from the Highland Center is Mt Clinton Rd. You'll be cautioned that this is used by snowmobiliers, but you'll hear them coming. It's pretty flat and you can go as far as you want. If they're feeling good you could get to Edmunds Path Trailhead and start up there. There's a stream crossing or 2 and just turn around when you want. Pretty woods.

Across the street from the Highland Center is Mt Clinton Rd. You'll be cautioned that this is used by snowmobiliers, but you'll hear them coming. It's pretty flat and you can go as far as you want. If they're feeling good you could get to Edmunds Path Trailhead and start up there. There's a stream crossing or 2 and just turn around when you want. Pretty woods.

I was going to recommend this same thing. One good thing about sharing the road with snowmobilers is that the trail/road will be groomed which will make for easy walking.

Routes that are XC skiable are generally easy snowshoeing.
* Pemi Wilderness system
* Zealand Rd to Zealand Notch
* Ethan Pond Tr
* Beaver Brook
* Sawyer Pond (from S end of Bear Notch Rd)
* Greely Ponds (from either end)
* Carrigan Notch

And easy summits
* Mt Willard

Doug

Has anybody been to Arethusa Falls in winter? It's a 3.2-mile round trip hike with about 800 feet of elevation gain.

I've never been in winter, but I've heard it's an impressive 160-foot tall block of ice and sometimes you can spot a few ice climbers around.

Yep, I did Arethusa last winter and found it fairly easy. Not many using the trail - although there was good sign a moose had been there a few hours earlier. There were ice climbers there and/or coming in. The falls was not to be seen, with that huge shell of ice covering it. But very well worth the trek

I'm glad Doug Paul suggested Willard. Right out of the Highland Center its surprisingly easy in the winter and very rewarding at the ledge at the top. Maybe not a first timers trip on snowshoes - warm up out the other direction around the beaver pond & up the Red Bench Trail. I'm sure there wil be some good advice from the staff at the center.

You won't have to ride far to find something suitable I don't believe.

Ammonoosuc Lake and Red Bench is a couple miles round trip and I expect there is a trailhead right near the Highland Center, where you should be able to get a winter trail map. There is a little up and down around the lake as well as some flat along the railroad bed but it is easy going and a good place to break in beginners. You probably won't find the "red bench" under the snow, it is on a side path to the west of the rails, but there are clearings in the vicinity with views of the Presidentials, including Washington if my memory is correct.

Ambitious after this trek? After lunch head down into North Conway and snowshoe up the Cathedral Ledges via the unplowed access road. Some elevation gain but my mother was introduced to snowshoes in her 70's on this trail. Afterwards you may have an appetite to go into town for dinner.

Willard is near the Center also but with even more elevation gain and even better views.

Hi Kurchian
I guess it all depends on what you want out of a snowshoe hike.

If you're looking for a beautiful but pretty easy trek thru the forest
I also would recommend Amonoosuc Lake & on to the Red Bench.
You'll get a pretty forest trail & a frozen winter lake
[there's a bit of a small hill along the way (but easy)]
& if you go to the Red Bench & it's a clear day there's a
great view of Washington & Jefferson!

If you want an Awesome mountain view of Crawford Notch
& a feeling of accomplishment I would definately
recommend Mt Willard. It elevates 900 ft but it is
such a pretty trail in the winter with trees on either side!
Not difficult.
(maybe as a 2nd day hike after they get used to using the shoes)
You would not have to drive to do these hikes they are right @ Highland.

Again it depends on what you're looking for & what kind of shape
your party is in & what they're willing to do!
This way everyone will have a fun time & enjoy themselves.

Steve Smith's "Snowshoe HIkes in the White Mt's" (as noted by Mohammed)
is priceless, cuz then you can read about the hikes & choose for yourself!
Steve rates difficulty level & tells useful info about each one.

The most impt thing is to have a blast & enjoy all that snow out there! :)

Here are just a few other suggestions:

1) This hike might be a bit longer than you have in mind, but nonetheless, the 5.0 mile (round-trip) hike to Bridal Veil Falls via the Coppermine Trail is a relatively flat hike. Also, there is a lean-to just a short distance from the falls which is a nice dry spot to take a lunch break.

2) You might also consider doing a trek out of Lincoln Woods on the Pemi East Side Trail for whatever distance you feel comfortable in going. This is a relatively flat trek through some beautiful forest. Also, branching off the Pemi East Side Trail is the short little Pine Island Trail. If it’s broken out, this would be a very nice trail for a beginner to follow along the river.

It also depends on whether they want to walk on a packed trail which is of course easier, but if they want to try true snowshoeing they might want to break trail for awhile. Unless there is a snowstorm the night before, this is unlikely on any of the trails mentioned.

I don't think there is much traffic on the Sam Willey Trail et al in the winter, this is just a few minutes down the Notch from Highland Center and fairly level.

From C-Notch, the recommendations of Willard (1.8 miles some uphill but with a great reward & most likely well traveled so you won't have to break trail which is much harder than following a beaten down path) & Ammo Lake are nice & you don't have to drive to get there.

The road walk is a good choice also but sharing the road & limited to no views keeps it from being with the other two IMO.

Last edited:
I don't know...

Kurchian Woods in Reading (or is it North Reading?) is pretty nice! :)

For a slightly longer trek with some elevation and great views near Crawford, try the Sugarloafs (Little River) off of Zealand Road. Might be a little ambitious for true beginners, but well worth the effort.

KDT