LT: How to get from Newport to Jonesville?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
I just talked to my old friend from last summer (when I did Williamstown to Jonesville), Russ Plourde of North Troy Inn, and he informed me that RCT no longer serves Newport... nor does any other bus company!

So... any suggestions on how I can get from Newport (where Russ gladly drives guests from North Troy) to Jonesville? I'd planned to leave my vehicle at Russ's, as I did last summer, then rely on buses to White River Junction and to Burlington, and then maybe a taxi out to J-ville (or the small local van that ran to Richmond, about 3 miles away, last summer).

Help! I need to finish this trail!

--W49

A lack of public transportation in this country

Two summers ago I was on a sailing trip from Gloucester, MA to the Maritimes and back. The plan was for me to take a bus from Rockland or Bar Harbor back to Boston and the train to Gloucester. We got fogbound on Grand Manan and had not made it back as far as Rockland when the time ran out on my trip. I had to find a way from Jonesport to Ellsworth where the nearest bus station was. I tried everything. I even started asking all over town for anyone with a car who would want to drive me, for whatever price seemed reasonable. Nada. In the end I made a sign that said "Ellsworth" and started hitchhiking. I made it with time to spare. Moral of the story. If all else fails, hitchhiking can still work.

Thanks, bc. Yeah, I may be "driven" to hitchhiking... haven't done that since the 1960s. This public transportation situation is terrible. I'm trying to figure out if it's a sign of general wealth or what...

Kevin Rooney said:
Which state are you inquiring about? Maine? Vermont? in Vermont there's a Newport, and Jonesville, VT borders Richmond, VT so ... And both Newport and Jonesville are on/near the Long Trail ... the mystery deepens -

Sorry, Kevin, I took it for granted that there was enough info there to identify the Long Trail in Vermont.

--W49

The good old days

When my grandfather was in his hiking heyday he would get to the White Mtns by train. In the first half of the 20th century there were dozens and dozens of trailheads that were accessible by public transportation. He could put his pack on at his door in Brookline and be hiking by the middle of the afternoon of the same day. Try to do that now by public transportation and hiker shuttle. It ain't gonna happen!

I've been looking at taking a few days camping in the area with the notion to hike Jay Peak. What if you leave your vehicle at North Troy and catch a ride to the trail head at Jonesville? That way you can walk back to your car. Perhaps if my buddy and I are doing Jay we would not mind dropping you off we would be driving back in that direction anyway. Jay Peak is not too far from North Troy. If the time frames are not right somebody else from this forum might be in the area and could do that. As I said in the previous short reply when are you planning on doing this. My buddy and I are pretty flexible and our plans are not set yet.

AntlerPeak said:
I've been looking at taking a few days camping in the area with the notion to hike Jay Peak. What if you leave your vehicle at North Troy and catch a ride to the trail head at Jonesville? That way you can walk back to your car. Perhaps if my buddy and I are doing Jay we would not mind dropping you off we would be driving back in that direction anyway. Jay Peak is not too far from North Troy. If the time frames are not right somebody else from this forum might be in the area and could do that. As I said in the previous short reply when are you planning on doing this. My buddy and I are pretty flexible and our plans are not set yet.

I'd hoped to head for North Troy late next week, Antler... maybe as early as the 15th (Wed). Yes, my plan has been to leave the truck in North Troy, get a ride of some kind to Jonesville, and walk back to the truck.

I'm even thinking, now, of dropping my pack off in Jonesville, driving to North Troy, and BICYCLING back to Jonesville. Maybe I could stash the bike for the two weeks or so I'll need to finish the trail, then drive back to pick up the bike. It's only 65 miles by road from North Troy to Jonesville. Probably a screwball idea.

The potential for a ride with you and your friend sounds a lot better! Let me know about your time frame. I could delay my hike a bit; just have to be finished by about July 10 or 12.

--W49

werdigo49 said:
I'm even thinking, now, of dropping my pack off in Jonesville, driving to North Troy, and BICYCLING back to Jonesville. It's only 65 miles by road from North Troy to Jonesville. Probably a screwball idea.
Not a crazy idea at all. I have used my bicycle to close loops on the New England AT, and especially on several long distance trails in southern New England. My next NB LT section is Jonesville to Smuggler's Notch, and I have looked specifically at biking that leg SB.

Since you are going to be leaving your bike for such a long time, you might think about putting a light tarp over it to save on rust. Maybe the Harley shop would let you store it out back under cover? Note also that cruising down Rt. 100 through Waterbury as you near the Rt 2 turn towards Jonesville, you'll be going right by GMC headquarters. It's possible that if you made a phone call, you might find them willing to store your bike, and you might even get a ride from there down to Jonesville if you timed it for end of workday. You might offer to write a paragraph on bike spotting for the next newsletter!

Last edited:
Tramper Al said:
Not a crazy idea at all. I have used my bicycle to close loops on the New England AT, and especially on several long distance trails in southern New England. My next NB LT section is Jonesville to Smuggler's Notch, and I have looked specifially at biking that leg SB.

Cool, Al! Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a while since I've done long-distance riding (I did a few centuries some years ago) but I'm glad to see this idea isn't unique to me.

I haven't given up on commercial transportation yet and will be making some phone calls after I log off here.

--W49

werdigo49 said:
I haven't given up on commercial transportation yet and will be making some phone calls after I log off here.

OK! This is getting resolved. Just bring money...

RCT Newport (802-334-0243) tells me that RCT offers a "Client Pay" service, at 40.5c/mi + $5 administrative charge. They will take a party anywhere, even Jonesville! Three days' advance notice is required (not including the day of arrangement OR the day of travel), and payment up front. That's round-trip distance, so if Jonesville is, say, 70 miles I'd have to pay 40.5c x 140, +$5.

Not cheap, but a clean resolution to my problem! And after I add up all the various bus charges to get to Pittsfield and Williamstown (see my last-summer thread on that), I'm not sure this direct "client pay" service IS more expensive. To say nothing of the hours spent in bus terminals...

I'll keep the group posted. Anyway, as the Geico ad says, "I have good news."

--W49

At least there is a resolution though not cheap. It is likely we will not get there until next month. So not likely to be a help to you. Have a good safe trip though.

Made it, guys! Here's a brief report...

The RCT driver picked me up right at North Troy Inn at 7:25 AM, and I was on the trail (actually Stage Road) at the Jonesville Post Office by 9:05! Duck Brook for lunch, Buchanan that night (Thursday 6/16). Over Mansfield in the rain Saturday, stayed at Taft again Sunday (beautiful day!) for day hiking, then on to Whiteface, Spruce Ledge... wrapped it up with a trek from Jay Camp to Journey's End on Saturday 6/25, and hoofed it over to North Troy and my vehicle Sunday morning by 10:45 AM.

It was wonderful, despite the first 3 days of rain; from Johnson north I encountered only ONE other person while I was actually walking. (A few others arrived at shelters after I'd settled in.)

Thanks to this group for its advice and encouragement. Now what... N to S???

--W49

Last edited:
You Saved Me A Post

Planning on hiking LT south from Jay later in the summer, and I was JUST starting to look into the 'how to get back to the truck' question tonight, and I see this.

It looks like a pretty good solution, once I figure out where I'll end up.