Lynx tracks found in Vt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
Here's an interesting wildlife story:

MONTPELIER — Officials have confirmed the presence of a Canada lynx in Vermont for the first time in nearly 40 years.

Wildlife biologists from Vermont and New Hampshire identified a set of lynx tracks in a state wildlife management area in Victory on Feb. 7. The Canada lynx is native to Vermont, but the population has always been small.

Full story here.

Kevin,

Thanks for the heads up and for the link to the story. A recent article in the Conway Sun cited recent evidence in Jefferson, NH of lynx as well. These animals need a LOT of space, roam widely, and have never been common in New England, but it is nice to see evidence of their presence from time to time.

Yeehaw!

Thanks, Kevin. With all these VFTT'ers out there 'whackin' and doing other nutty stuff in the winter, it's only time until somebody gets lucky with some tracks. Keep your eyes open and bring us track photos if you see some, folks.

I thought it was interesting that the VT tracks were spotted by a NH wildlife biologist!

I had the pleasure of seeing a lynx once - not in New England but in the dense forest around Mt Adams, Washington. I was startled by the size of it - much bigger than I would have thought. But, its characteristic shape, lack of tail and ear tufts gave it away.

Good News

I will put this down a progress. :) Let's hope that we get a sighting.

The next chapter would be for evidence of a cougar. There have been reported sightings in Maine and the North Quabbin.

Last winter, there were reports published in the Concord Monitor about a lynx spotting in NH, just off Rt 93 (near exit 17). I believe that somebody was able to find it's tracks and confirm it. I never heard a followup story on it, though.

That's the great thing about nature -- it just "happens".

bob

I just mentioned on another thread that I saw excellent lynx tracks in the col b/w Middle Sister and First Sister fo Mt Chocorua last winter, days before the lynx report from Jefferson. I wish I took pictures, but I thought it was a bobcat at the time, and my CF card was almost full. D'OH :eek: They were definately cat tracks, 5" to 6" across, and in pursuit of a snowshoe hare.

Happy Trails :)

That's great news. Since the reintroduction in the ADKs years ago didn't work, it would be great to see them slowly return on their own. VT seems to make sense since it shares a good chunk of undeveloped borderland w/ Canada. Unfortunately, the article doesn't seem terribly optimistic that this indicates a growth in population or anything. Probably a little soon to pop the champagne corks, but good news none the less.

Matt

Last edited:
Kevin Rooney said:
I thought it was interesting that the VT tracks were spotted by a NH wildlife biologist!

The NH biologist in question, Will Staats, lives in Victory, VT near where the tracks were sighted.