matching hiking abilities (rating oneself)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have "hiked with" lots of people at varying abilities and speeds and the conversation and friendships formed are a far better judge for me than speeds and abilities.

There is a great, timeless wisdom in these words...

Coldfeet:

Try to get to know an area & the trails well. Then plan a hike with various people & email one another on things like an average day for milage, terrain, when is bad weather, really bad weather, etc.

If you think you are going to be the slow hiker, tell people you are going to start sooner & that they will catch you. (You have to be comfortable going solo in case they don't show or are later than expected. This is one reason to be on familar ground) You can always go slower, enjoy the views, stop & listen to the birds or a babbling brook, things you might skip when you are trying to keep up. (You can always go slower but you can't go faster)

If you feel beat & want to turn back, in your own backyard you would feel comfortable doing so solo so the rest of teh group can keep on going.

Overall, IMO this board's members don't represent an equal cross-section of the hiking community. It represents IMO an advance group that spends free time discussing hiking instead of watching those TV shows the people in the office talk about. We plan hikes for this & next our fantasy trip instead of pouring over Baseball & Football stats for Fantasy Football.

With apologies to the ladies, I've seen way too many pictures (Avatars) of Dave M., Bruno, a shirtless Pete Hickey, Dr. Wu's ever changing Avatar & Sherpa's puzzle piece. I understand you can see other pictures on the Internet but NOOOOO, I'm here instead discussing snow, ice, mud, etc..... Bring back Sherpa's Angels at least :D (Rant Over)

Hi Mike, wish i could just go out and get familiar with an area but I got into this "hobby" app 2 years ago and now being 45 I try to go to different places...that list hit me and i want to be part of a group to say "i completed that challenge"..so i'm working on the catskill 35"s.....i'm probably to hard on myself....

common bond

Recently, I hiked with a group of five wonderful people, ranging from the ages of 27 thru 56. I found the youngest members of our group, potentially had the ability to "leave us in the dust " at any given time. However, as a "group" of hikers through unspoken words, there was a show of equality, patience and support for one another, it was wonderful to see.
At one point, in our travels, it was said, "It's only fun when everyone has a good time", and this said by the youngest of the group.
Whatever age, ability or speed in which we hike, we all have a common bond,
and that is the love for hiking and the love for the simple pleasures that nature gives us.
How wonderful it is to have discovered our passion.
kmac

Dave, I tend to be one of the slower hikers in a group. I am probably fastyer than "book" but not by alot. Whenever I try to keep up with faster hikers I find that I am not enjoying the hike. I am too busy exhausting myself trying to keep up. I go at my pace. My friends will wait for me at trail interestions and take breaks and wait for me to catch up. The only time I have asked folks to slow down was doing bushwack hikes when I did not want to get separated by too great a distance. And actually, I seem to hike faster on bushwack hikes than on a regular trail. I guess thats because I love bushwacks. I think that my pace and endurance has picked up by hiking with faster people though I'll never be able to keep up with Jay. I agree with rhihn - if you go to fast you can miss so much along the trail. Sli makes many good points too about comaraderie on the trail. As you hike with more people, you will find some who hike your pace and will tend to hike with them more than others. Don't obssess about you pace compared to other. Just go out an enjoy yourself.

paul ron said:
Why do groups have to hike to the sound of hearts beating in your ears, running like yellow cabs through the woods, trying to get it over with as fast as possable?

I'm not so sure people who appear to be hiking fast are necessarily trying to "get it over with", but I can understand why people get this impression.
NorthFaceMountWashington.jpg

Take on a project like climbing the North Face of Mt Washington in winter in a day, and you will begin to understand the value of being able to travel quickly, which is a lot different than simply traveling quickly to "prove" something. I suspect a lot of the folks that may appear to be "proving" something are not pushing themselves nearly as hard as those who are trying to keep up may think, but are simply going at the pace that is founded on the understanding (and requisite conditioning) that "speed is safety" when dealing with long routes and fickle mountain weather.

Hey Coldfeet,

Three points:

==Hiker attitudes & HYOH: I've found that there is a hiker ethos/culture (especially in the northeast), and it vigorously defends the notions of independence of pace.

==My pace is approximately book time if I'm carrying weight. With a daypack, I enjoy being able to rip a little.

==I'm just happy to be out there, considering all the aged, infirm & clueless who aren't able to be, and how easy it would be for impossibility to whack me. I'm aging, with bad joints. The reaper comes for all. Make hay while the sun shines!

Happy trails,

--M.

Calling HikerBob

bruno said:
"booktime"? you mean the times listed in the amc guide between points? i can crawl faster than that. but i think they might be calibrated or something to folks carrying a REAL heavy pack. at least i hope they are. or woe to us. . .

just sayin'! :)

HikerBob, if you're out there: I, and I'm certain a great many others, miss your humble, classy, and friendly posts. 'nuff said.

coldfeet said:
Paul Ron and other NYC, Long Islanders, I'll take you up on one of those relaxing 6-8 mile hikes, would love to car pool also because the ride is really long and boring...let me know...anyone going to the Maine gathering?..

Hey, put me on the list too. I'm in the NYC area and would love to join you guys from time to time.