Minnewaska Park expansion (Shawangunks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Schaefer

Reaction score
Lake Katrine, NY, just inside the Catskill Blue L
New York state has finalized the purchase of the Awosting Reserve (Bradley Property on the map below) which will provide a 2,518 acres expansion of the Lake Minnewaska State Park. This land had been the site of a proposed gated development.

awostingsm.gif

This includes the environmentally sensitive Palmaghatt Ravine which lies directly below Gertrude's Nose, Hamilton Point, Margaret Cliff, and Murray Hill. The ravine contains several waterfalls previously inaccessible to the public. This purchase should also enable the reopening of the trail between Sam's Point and Lake Minnewaska (which passes Verkeerder Kill waterfall and Mud Lake).

This is great news, it now opens the oppurtunity for more technical climbing here in the Gunks... There are some beautiful climbing areas intermingled through out the new parcel, but since the land is being managed by the state, the climbing is still off limits. But this is not a bad thing as the Gunks Climbers Coalition have said on gunks.com that they plan to work on gaining access very soon. The big thing is that the state has to do an enviromental review/inventory of the land and then see what activities will be OK'd.

Personally I would love to go rack up and head out there, but will honor the Gunks Climbers Coalition's self imposed stay away request so something does not throw a monkey wrench into thier negoiations for more climbing areas.

One thing is that once they do get climbing OK'd, it will probably be nice and quiet... One thing I have learned in almost 10 years of climbing in the Gunks is that 90% of the crowds will not walk too far to climb.

Also mentioned in one article from the Poughkeepsie Journal is that they plan to look into using some of the existing buildings/development for possible camping. Even Commissioner of Parks Bernadette Castro mentioned it, so I hope that this will be near the top of the list as well...

This is great news!
Kevin

Thanks for the news and links, Mark. I'm very glad this area is going to be preserved! :)

This news made my day-thanks Mark. Even though we knew this was going to happen, it feels great that it's a done deal. Over 2500 acres-just to put that in perspective, the entire Mohonk Mountain House parcel is only about 2,200 acres, and Mohonk Preserve checks in w/ 6000-something. Minnewaska is really turning into an impressive parcel of land. It's grown by over 4000 acres just in the five years I've lived in New Paltz.

This parcel is a wonderful addition. I've gazed into the Palmaghatt Ravine and thought about how fun it would be to explore. I hope this area remains pretty much backcountry, w/ only a trail or two, and I certainly wouldn't complain if it remained completely trailless. If any trails were built, it might be nice to have one connect Gertrudes Nose and Hamilton Point via the Ravine. Certainly re-opening the trail between Verkeerderkill Falls and Mud Point would be appropriate. Anyway you slice it, this is a great, great day for the Shawangunk Ridge.

Kevin, I'm not a climber, but I'm curious-where would the climbing opportunities be? I guess the walls of the Ravine, on both the Gertrude's and Hamilton Point side? I agree w/ your assessment that if there were climbing in there, overuse probably wouldn't be an issue. It seems like the overwhelming majority of Gunks climbers just go to the Trapps and maybe the Near Trapps.

As for the possibilities for camping, I have mixed feelings about that. It would be incredibly cool to spend an overnight up there, but at the same time, I see a lot of potential for abuse. I've often been frustrated that Minnewaska doesn't allow camping, but then I see the amount of trash left around just from day use and think about what overnights might lead to. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would take a lot of work to do it right. I think the various Shawangunk parcels could do a lot more to educate the usership as it is. Another issue to keep in mind is the enormous potential for a devasting fire up on the ridge. All it would take it one irresponsible camper w/ all that bone dry pitch pine around...

Matt

Matt, I agree with a lot of your points with regards to camping. The Multi (AB)Use area is a great example of too many people can trash an area in a matter of a few years. I try to avoid staying there anymore, too many idiots that equate camping with raging bonfires in the middle of summer in a drought watch... And little enforcement on the part of the DEC to really clamp down. This is not meant as a slam against the DEC, those folks are spread way to thin and have more important things to do.

Apparently though there is an area on the southern end of the new parcel that has some existing cabins and locales for tents. If they were to open an area to camping, I hope to limit it to the existing area there, and not let people just camp here or there though out the park. As it is now, no camping is allowed in the park, and that should remain so.

As for the climbing, there are the walls of the ravines, and a few other little hidden crags here and there through out the new parcel. Crowding should not be (but you never know) an issue since just to get out to the ravine is about a half hour walk alone from the parking lot, then you would have to get down and then back up... That alone is why I can imagine it will not get much traffic.

I am sure if they opened it up quite a few people would go to just check it out, but realizing that it would be like walking to Millbrook Mtn to climb, the initial excitement would wear off.

I hope it will be kind of like climbing at some of the other Gunks crags... a bit off the beaten' path so very few go to them. I love being able to enjoy a crag by myself for a day of solo aiding and not having to worry about some idiot huffing and puffing on the ground below me because I am not speed climbing just to get out of their way. As it is now, most of the Trapps and Nears is just too crowded on weekends...

A trail that runs from Gertrude's Nose to Hamilton Point/Castle Point would be nice...

Catch you later...
Kevin

I'd like to be optimistic about possible use of the property, but given PIPC's history it's hard. Some reports I have read declare the Palmaghatt to be of "exceptional sensitivity"; I can easily see PIPC making it completely off limits. After all, you technically cannot even hike off an established trail in Minnewaska.

A trail through the ravine would certainly be an improvement over a housing development, wouldn't it? I could see them trying to keep people away from some of the more sensitive acres but putting a new trail in would also be a good way to help the public appreciate what is gained through preservation, most especially in an area as populated as the Hudson valley..... :)