Mitten Shells

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikehike

Reaction score
I am looking for a set of good quality gortex mitten shells, preferably with taped seams. Outdoor Resaerch used to sell these. They were sold as just shells and without any inner/removable glove or mitten. My current pair of shells are getting pretty beat up and I've had to already repair with dental floss sewing a few times already.

I don't see any such shells being offered by OR, REI, Mountain Hardware, etc on the internet.

After doing a VFFT search I did find a discussion regarding this, but the type of mitten shell discussed (OR Snowline Mitt) appear to have some type of non removable liner ("Ventia") - possibly someone can correct me if I am wrong regarding this - does anyone know if this "Ventia" liner is removable? And, if so, are you just left with a single layer mitten shell?

Or, does anybody know of any other brands/sources (including Outdoor Research) where such a shell can still be purchased? The type that I am looking for have no inner lining or layer and preferably are waterproof and breathable (ie gortex or similar material).

Thanks in advance....
Andy

ps the link to the OR Snowline Mitten is http://www.us-parks.com/gear_details/Outdoor_Research_Snowline_Mitt_18056.html

I have the shells from Ragged Mountain and like them quite a lot. Reasonable price and good quality and performance.

-vegematic

Thanks everyone for your replies..... This will definetly help in my search for a new pair of mitten shells.... and I hope this thread helps others in the future who may be searching for such an item!

Sewing Pattern

Has anyone made their own? Mittens shouldn't be too hard...I wouldn't think. Any one have or know where to find a decent pattern / kit?

bignslow said:
I've never made my own mittens, however I've seen these patterns at the websites where I buy my fabric:

http://www.thegreenpepper.com/packs.html

Along this line - does anyone remember the company that used to have sew it your self kits? They had a nice catalog when I was in college (my roommate made his down coat from their kit) but I think they're out of business. Anyway - my head is twisted trying to remember...
:confused:

Thanks

WinterWarlock said:
Along this line - does anyone remember the company that used to have sew it your self kits? They had a nice catalog when I was in college (my roommate made his down coat from their kit) but I think they're out of business. Anyway - my head is twisted trying to remember...
:confused:

Thanks

Was it Frostline? I think they were located in Colorado, IIRC.

sardog1 said:
All right, all you greybeard gearheads. Herewith follows more than anyone should want to know about "classic" equipment makers, including Frostline in its various guises:

The Evolution Revolution in Backpacking Gear
Awesome site! I still have a Camp 7 down bag. Very cool (the site, not the bag, though the bag is cool, but also very warm... never mind...)

sardog1 said:
All right, all you greybeard gearheads. Herewith follows more than anyone should want to know about "classic" equipment makers, including Frostline in its various guises:

The Evolution Revolution in Backpacking Gear

what a hoot ...great link....do you remember when Limmers sold Hard Goods? I do..but of course that's also back when I was burning my Spam on a 23R :D

sardog1 said:
I feel your pain. I have a pair of duct-taped OR shells.

I think the Ragged Mountain Armadillo Shells are probably worth looking at. The materials are not specified, but it's advertised as waterproof/breathable. I haven't seen them in person, but I trust those folks to do right by us.

I really do miss when all gloves and mitts were sold with removable liners. The ventia insert on the OR strikes me as being difficult to dry out although I have no personal experience. I have tried on the Ragged Mountain Armadillos and IMO the fit is no where near as ergonomic as OR's mitts.

Kevin Rooney said:
Was it Frostline? I think they were located in Colorado, IIRC.
I still have an UNOPENED, obviously new condition Frostline Stuffsack kit from about 1974 that I never sewed. I did complete a couple others as well as a pair of high gators I used until about 5 years ago. Good stuff.