Moose Mtn Traverse 10/25/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
On Thursday, I decided to hike my new favorite local traverse...Moose Mtn, from Enfield, to the Hanover Lyme area on Goose Pond Rd. I believe it is about a 10-11 mile one way hike, which traverses about 5.5 miles of unmaintained trail, and 5.5 miles of AT. Considering the highest point on the trip is only about 2300 feet, there are lots of views. Here we go.

Past peak foliage at the beginning of the trip.
IMG3298-L.jpg

My fav tree of the day
IMG3302-L.jpg

First views of the day..Mascoma Lake and Shaker Mtn in the distance
IMG3310-L.jpg

Zoom to Mt Ascutney
IMG3305-L.jpg

leftover foliage
IMG3317-L.jpg

IMG3319-L.jpg

Off I went, slowly moving up in elevation on the southern ridges of Moose Mtn...these views are all below 2000 feet.

Looking north from some ledges
IMG3331-L.jpg

this gives an idea to what lots of the ledges were like....grassy!!
IMG3338-L.jpg

How about a view west? To Killington (zoom)
IMG3364-L.jpg

camera friendly toad
IMG3385-L.jpg

Almost to the AT
IMG3394-L.jpg

cont in a min

Part 2

Now, onto the AT, South Moose Mtn summit
IMG3399-L.jpg

After a break, an easy descent then rise brought me to the Moose Mtn shelter where I took an extended rest.
IMG3402-L.jpg

Just below the shelter, I got this nice zoomed view of Cardigan.
IMG3404-L.jpg

I always forget to take pics of the trail between the shelter and North Moose, and THursday was no exception. The section consists of beautiful hardwood forests and since the leaves were done, there were some views as well.

At a small viewpoint on North Moose Mtn.

IMG3405-L.jpg

interesting clouds
IMG3408-L.jpg

IMG3413-L.jpg

One more viewpoint on the way down North Moose Mtn, a nice vista north.

IMG3435-L.jpg

The climb down North Moose was somewhat steep at times, but easier than when I did it last year, probably because there wasn't 2-3 inches of sloppy snow covering the ground! So suffice to say, I made good timing.

But I'm never hiking too fast to get a pic of a deer.

IMG3448-L.jpg

This isn't the best map, but it gives you an idea of my hike...I started at around 960 feet in Enfield, rose up to 1800 feet for a bit, then down to 1600 or so, then back up to above 2000 ft for the 2 main peaks, then back down to just under 1000 feet at Goose Pond Rd

moosemtn-L.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed the pics!!

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...verse/26164647_qKbCQw#!i=2175600940&k=CgRRVxR

I need to do the S half sometime, I've done the N a couple times

Nice hike. I need to find out if you did the un-maintained part of the trail first or the AT part so I will go take a look at a map and see if I can figure out where to spot the cars. If you can give me any details on this I would appreciate it. Thanks Sunshine Chris

here's a prime example of where I miss giving a greenie. Nice trip report. Always enjoy hearing from you about the road less traveled.

I need to do the S half sometime, I've done the N a couple times

Agreed, its really nice...prob nicer than the AT section.

Nice hike. I need to find out if you did the un-maintained part of the trail first or the AT part so I will go take a look at a map and see if I can figure out where to spot the cars. If you can give me any details on this I would appreciate it. Thanks Sunshine Chris

I'll be sending some more info and links in a PM soon!

here's a prime example of where I miss giving a greenie. Nice trip report. Always enjoy hearing from you about the road less traveled.

Thanks skiguy! I try to go elsewhere, sometimes. :)

awesome report - great to see those pics!!!

Thanks Becca! :)

Great shots!

Thanks Blaze! Your pics are awesome too.