Moosilauke and Kinsman traverse 11/14/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
Cast:
Farmer
MEB
Juniper
Mtnpa
Myself

The forecast was a bit on the dark side but we decided to go for the plan anyway. Pre-placed a car at Lafayette Place and then drove to Kinsman Notch in two cars. I went ahead in one car ahead of the rest since I figured I needed a head start since Farmer is not exactly slow. 7:48am I headed up Beaver Brook Trail up the Moose. Farmer, Mtnpa, Juniper and MEB hadn't arrived yet. The plan was for me and Farmer to go up and down Moosilauke while Juniper, MEB and Mtnpa started northbound on the Kinsman Ridge Trail towards Kinsmans. The idea was that Farmer and I would catch up eventually.
The bagel and pizza breakfast made the steep portion a bit of a struggle and I thought I heard Farmer's footsteps behind me several times........it was probably just my own heartbeat though............it was moist and foggy and slightly raining.....a couple of the wooden steps was ice covered but no other issues with snow or ice........was able to run again a little after the Shelter where the trail leveled out a bit.

The wind picked up considerably and it was a light rain coming in more or less sideways......no Farmer yet.......I thought he can't be too far behind since I was also stopped by the cops in Woodstock for speeding - nice policeman - just a warning and he asked if I knew how to get to the trailhead for Mossilauke. Finally made it to the timberline and the wind picked up considerably and visibility was maybe 100 feet up there. Turned around quickly after tagging the summit and had to move is a sideway angle to counter the strong wind and rain. After another 1/2 mile in the woods I met Farmer. He started 45 minutes or so behind me so he was moving and shaking on pace for a sub-2hr finish. We continued running in diferent directions and I took it easy since necessary on the slippery downhill section on Beaver Brook. I finished in 2hr37 min and after 10 minutes or so Farmer came running in and clocked a 2hr01min roundtrip:eek: He's a mover and shaker alright!

It was cold and mosit in the parking lot so we repacked our racepacks and started jogging towards Kinamn Ridge Trail across the road. We figured the other three were 2hr20min ahead of us so we walked most uphils and ran the flats and downhills 9Where possible). It took us one hr to reach the Gordon Pond Trail intersection and another hr to the Reel Brook Trail intersection. We thought we heard voices ahead of us several times but no hikers....just moose tracks and some birds here and there. We were glad we were protected by the trees from the wind. Farmer filled up water by Eliza Brook Shelter. I had some pink Himalayan salt I took for cramp prevention and the legs started to feel a bit tired heading up the last couple of miles to Kinsmans.

Shortly before Harrington Pond we caught up with Mtnpa. He said the ladies were far ahead. Farmer decided to try to catch them and I took it easier chewing away on my food stash. 15 minutes later or so I heard real voices and MEB, Juniper and Farmer were waiting in the rain and wind on the steeper section. We ate and discussed whether we should wait for Mtnpa. He was well equipped as usual for the harsh weather and we were getting cold so we decided to move on.......everything was dripping cold and wet and the hands were not found of grabbing onto the rock and roots heading up South Kinsman. The wind blew pretty hard up there and MEB and I hurried over the summit and into the woods on the other side....Juniper and Farmer was soon catching up......dehydration was not an issue today for a change for me......we needed to keep moving in the rain and maybe 40 degree weather we had. A few more ice patches to avoid on the north side of the Kinsmans......we took another break by the Kinsman Pond intersection before heading down Fishin' Jimmy.......we decided to skip Cannonballs and Cannon today. Halfway down Fishin Jimmy we turned our headlamps on. The rain increased in intensity and the "slurp, slurp" was the sound of the boots......we didn't bother trying to avoid stepping in water. MEB and Juniper were singing Air Supply songs and others on the descent.

Finally we saw the light og the Lonesome Lake Hut and we entered in where a crowd of 30-40 people were sitting playing cards etc. We decided to wait for Mtnpa here. The Hutkeeper eventually decided to lit the stove which was very nice........not that we expected to be able to dry out, but nice to feel some external heat source. Juniper treated us on hot chocolate and tea and an hour later Mtnpa showed up. MEB and Juniper placed roses (they had carried with them) on the trail outside the hut to make sure Mtnpa went inside. After Mtnpa regrouped we headed back out in the heavy rain to get down to the cars......the teeth started shattering within seconds of getting outside.......so we moved quickly. Farmer took the car keys and ran to start heating the car. We met a couple of hikers coming up the trail.......and soon we were down by the parking lot. A lot of vacant campsites at the campground - hmmmm....wonder why?

Drove back to Kinsman Notch and picked up the two cars.......and then hot shower and food........shake and bake!

When you're on a really crappy stretch of trail, that's more like a stream, in the dark, in the ever-heavier rain, after 8 hours of flirting with hypothermia...you really can't go wrong with a little Air Supply.

Despite the challenging weather, I had a great day. Shake & Bake!!!!!

Rebecca

I have to admit, I would be sorely tempted to hike in the cold rain as long as there was Air Supply. :)

Great job, amazing times, and I hope by now you've warmed up and dried off!

I have to admit, I would be sorely tempted to hike in the cold rain as long as there was Air Supply. :)

I paced myself to be just far enough behind to be out of earshot. Also saving energy for the dance :cool:

I have a new favorite trail. It's called Swimmin' Jimmy.

Hiking in the rain is always such a joy....some of my most memorable hikes have been in the rain! Can't think of a better way to confirm that nothing is really waterproof.....although my feet were relativley dry until South Kinsman. Lost one of my water bottles on the Flippin Jimmy.....so looking forward to snow and ice! Fun day everyone.

-MEB

sounds like you heard alot of voices in your head, mats.

now which ones did you listen to?

Mats,

Sounds like you all had a great time over the weekend. Not sure I would have enjoyed the rain though. It certainly sounds better than spending two hours on the tread mill at the club watching cartoons all morning :cool:

John

I usually have a hard time when I'm at work and missing a big Saturday hike. This time not so much. Great job in tough conditions.

Awesome job, Mats and team. Saturday was nasty! I can only imagine how tough the Kinsman Ridge (River?) trail was like... :eek: