Morale Booster?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Boosts Your Morale?

• Some good food

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Beer

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • The sun coming out

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • The wind stopping

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Finally going downhill

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Vitamin I (or some other drug)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • A friend's kind words

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Something else (I'm sure you'll explain)

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters
Negative reinforcement by management.

Oops! Um if you're have a "bad" day on the trail, not in work..., then you better take a drink, a pill, something to sort you out.

Neil, given your propensity to quote very bad 70s light rock, it is apparent that you take heavy drugs while hiking, and hey, everybody's got to get through the day in their own way I suppose ..... ;)

If anybody uses the phrase "muskrat love" in the course of this thread, I will personally hunt you down on the trail and administer a dope-slap with a broken trekking pole. :eek:

I'm just sayin'...

The following selection was chosen because it has both a hiking theme and a morale boosting theme.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,
that I'm stayin' alive

Well now, I get low and I get high
And if I can't get either I really try.
Got the wings of heaven on my shoes

ah,ah,ah stayin' alive.

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,

ah,ah,ah stayin' alive.

Actually thats a great song for a hiker to keep in mind as its rythm is recommended for performing CPR. :) Stayin Alive, Staying Alive...

Couple things; I answered "Beer", which is dull, I know, but I do enjoy more than 1 cold one after a decent hike. But I couldn't drink WHILE hiking if you paid me, I'd yak.

And, as embarrassing as it may be, Seals and Crofts was my first "rock" concert. I was 14 or 15. The guy that sang the song about the horse that jumps off the cliff opened for them. It was also my first, non contact, experience with another '70's concert staple, as there was a high volume of combustibles in the Civic Center that night. :rolleyes:

I just humm "ripple" to myself. It takes me back to the show in Orno spring of 83 or Boston Garden sept 82, or Cumberland County Civic Center Fall or... many prefer tie die over spandex anyway.

Reactions: dug
Chip said:
And, as embarrassing as it may be, Seals and Crofts was my first "rock" concert.

Wow. That *IS* embarrasing.

Chip said:
I was 14 or 15.

That still doesn't make it right.

Chip said:
The guy that sang the song about the horse that jumps off the cliff opened for them.

Sounds like "the guy" might have actually been "The Byrds" singing their hit The Chestnut Mare.

Now see, if you had just said your first show was a Byrds concert, I wouldn't have to bust on you like this! :eek: (It wouldn't have been a lie, technically, just a selective application of the truth...)

Chip said:
It was also my first, non contact, experience with another '70's concert staple, as there was a high volume of combustibles in the Civic Center that night. :rolleyes:

"Non-contact experience". Riiiiiiiiight... ;)

i prefer your white wooly winter warlock avatar, scott. winter is (kinda) here, you know. where is it? :p

Sounds like "the guy" might have actually been "The Byrds" singing their hit The Chestnut Mare.

;)

No such luck, The Byrds would have been way cooler. This was Michael Murphy singing "Wildfire", opening for Seals and Crofts. :eek:
There's a dead horse involved, in any case.

Rarely does my morale need boosting when I'm out hiking. In fact, hiking is one of the greatest morale boosters in my life. Yet, given the circumstances described in the O.P., seeing the sky boosts my morale...as in, "I see sky. We must be getting close."

rattling off the lastest and greatest urban dictionary terms, trying to offend as many people as possible... that usually works for me... I use liberal use of the F bomb as well.

also - making fun of other people usually helps as well. I find by kicking others down, I elevate myself to sky high limits....:D

walking by a giant muddy section with several knee high footprints.
I'm good for 5 or 6 more miles after that.

All of your poll options are good, save the alcohol. Wind never makes much difference to me either.

Singing is really good ... a few fine choices have already been covered. "Terrapin" is another good one. Some rise ... some fall ... some climb ... etc. And I know we'll be there soon!

Reciting verse from memory is also good for keeping things from flying apart when it gets really dire and I'm alone. There was a night a few years back when the wheels were just completely coming off as I dragged my keister that last 2.5 miles down the truck trail to South Meadows from Marcy Dam to end a 15 hour day on (and off) trail ... I can't give the whole "reading list," but I know I covered Tennyson's "Ulysses," one of Mark Jarman's "Unholy Sonnets," and Dr. Seuss's The Lorax from end to end. I got through ...

Last edited:
Good friends, good trail food, a nice meal and beer or wine afterwards.

I had a wonderful experience on a simple little hike up Willard last January. Our group was playing catch up with a young adolescent boy and his parents. He was trudging and falling and sulking and obviously did NOT want to be there, and he was making sure everyone knew it without a doubt. I asked him what his favorite part of hiking was and he scorned back "Nothing." I shrugged and suggested "keep looking for it" and added, "if you see me at the summit I'll have some hot chocolate to share with you if you'd like" (and your parents say OK). He glared, but did, indeed, seek me out. While we were chatting and sipping hot chocolate, I held my hand out to a gray jay, who alit and looked about. The boy was absolutely astonished that this older woman with gray hair had such powers...I shared some of my trail mix with the boy and the bird landed on his hand, too, as his father took photos. We saw this young man later on that afternoon as he skipped joyfully down the trail. A woman in our group asked him if he was having fun. His response? "This is the best!" His parents wore a look of relief, as you can imagine.

I just look forward to every step really, even when it's knee deep in snow (and yes I am wearing snow shoes):). Last week we took a little walk by the Hudson River and saw a blue bird sitting on a winterberry bush.
I just hold that stuff in my mind to give me strength to get through the rest of my life.

A good insult and or beating from a friend usually works.
( just friends though )

Also, I try to make sure that the last song I listen to, before hitting the trail,is something I kind of like. It's usually in my head for most of the day so, it might as well be a good one.

I checked a friend's kind words but it's really
"man's best friends" kind bark or tug"!
To be honest, unless I am in serious pain or sick, I really would sooner stay in the woods. I love being out there for hours on end. I am rarely eager to get back to my vehicle. I never seem to want those days to end.

Last edited:
Just wanted to clarify that I by no means am suggesting that being in a situation like this is a bad thing. That's why "getting done with the hike/getting out of the woods/a back massage in a hot tub" wasn't one of the options. I'd MUCH rather be out in crappy weather, broken and bruised, hungry and tired, bloody and cold, than inside sitting in front of a computer writing about it.

Hike on!! And thanks for all the great feedback, and there are a bunch of great ideas out there. I've really enjoyed reading your responses!!! :D