Moriah & Shelburne Moriah from WR Campground 11-2-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IQuest

Reaction score
This past Sunday Marlie celebrated her 5th birthday. The week before she expressed to me that there was nothing that she would enjoy more to celebrate it than a long walk in the woods on some new trail with low traffic. This worked out perfectly as I only needed Mt Moriah to complete a 6th round :roll: and I had wanted to check out the Moriah Brook Tr for quite some time. What I was not looking forward to was the 2.5+ hr drive to Wild River Campground.

Since it was the last day of Dalight Savings Time the sun was quite late to rise and so there was no need to get on the trail any earlier that 7am. The drive took a little longer than I thought and we ended up with boots/paws on trail at 7:45am. We were the only car in the lot.

We headed up the Wild River Tr to the Moriah Brook Tr and crossed the Suspension Bridge over the Wild River. Without the bridge it would be impossible to cross without getting wet. As with the Pemi, leftover debris from Irene was present and impressive.

Wild River

20131103_6.JPG

After joining and leaving the Highwater Tr the Moriah Brook Tr begins to climb up the valley gaining little elevation along the way. Just above Moriah Gorge we came to the first crossing of Moriah Brook. The gorge looked interesting from the trail, but with 15 miles still to go I didn't have any time to spare to explore. The water at the crossing was high from the previous day's rain and we had to go a short distance upstream ,to find a place to hop across. The trail follows an old railbed or logging road up the valley crossing Moriah brook and small tributaries several times as well as an area with extensive beaver activity. With the fresh coat of leaves, beaver activity, and being in a wilderness area it took extra care to follow the trail. It was good to have Marlie along to sniff out the correct route at crossings or when the old roads branched out. The trail never really gets steep but there were countless cascades and pools along the brook.

You have to use the beaver dam to cross here.

20131103_11.JPG

Followed by nice trail.

20131103_16.JPG

Moriah Brook

20131103_19.JPG

Over the last half mile the trail passes through a birch forest under the southern cliffs of Mt Moriah and climbs through a couple of wet areas and ends at the Carter Moriah Tr. I would highly reccommend this route for anyone who has already done Stony Brook Tr or the Carter-Moriah Tr from Bangor St.

We then climbed the up the Cater-Moriah Tr breaking out onto the ledges after a short distance where we had excellent views to the south.

Imp Mtn and the Carters

20131103_26.JPG

Moriah Brook Valley

20131103_27.JPG

We made it to the scramble where Marlie had to wait for me and we stepped on the summit at 11:00 am where we saw the first two people of the day. It was near 70, sunny, and no wind! :D

Marlie at the Summit of Mt Moriah

20131103_33.JPG

The two young men (early 20s) that I met were from CT and were planning a backpacking trip along the AT from US2 to Pinkham Notch. At first they told me that they had come up the Carter-Moriah Tr but later I discovered that they had come up the Rattle River Tr since thsy stayed the first night at Rattle River Shelter. They seemed a bit vague and confused about there route and said they wished they had a map like mine. (Mine is a 8.5 x 11 photo copy of my AMC map.) They only had something the printed off of Google and this was their first trip to the Whites. Notice the jeans and cotton shirt in the above pic. When I asked them if they had a car spot they siad that they were planning on walking back along the road then asked me if it was mostly flat across the ridge as they were already tired from lugging a 50 pond pack. :roll: I told them that other than the stiff climb up North Carter that we could see and the 1000+ foot climb up Wildcat A it wasn't that bad. :twisted: At this point they seemd unsure of what to do so I suggested maybe just heading back over to Shelburne Moriah Mtn or following the Carter-Moriah Tr down to Bangor St then walking the powerlines back to the Rattle River TH. I felt really bad about "busting their bubble" but I thought they should know what was in store. I even suggested Imp Campsite and told them that they could take any trail on the right to get down to NH16. I hope things went well for them.

After wishing them luck and taking some more pics Marlie and I headed down to the Kenduskeag Tr. We descended for a ways then I noticed a single overnight pack with tent and sleeping bag off to the side of the trail. Since I did not see a pack with the two guys at the summit I assumed it was theirs but had to wonder if they only had one pack between the two of them. We made great time across the bog bridges but once past the junction of the Rattle River Tr the mud pits start. Some of the knee deep. :shock:

Kenduskeag Tr

20131103_34.JPG

The trail was brushy at times

20131103_35.JPG

But beautiful at others

20131103_38.JPG

Don't Step Here!

20131103_42.JPG

After some pleasant ups and downs, ledgy goodness, and alpine bogs, we reached the summit of Shelburn Moriah Mtn where we could look back and see where we came from.

Mt Moriah

20131103_45.JPG

It was now 12:30 so after only a short break we contiuned on down the east side of the mountain. I soon started to notice fresh footprints and just as I heard a voice I noticed a nice side path to climb a ledge with an excellent view to the south of the Wild River Valley.

20131103_49.JPG

As I climbed back down to the trail from the ledge, I ducked once when I should have ducked twice and caught a broken branch to the dome. :oops:

20131103_51.JPG

I instantly put up my hand and I could feel the wetness on contact. Ileaned forward and the blood begn to drip off of my forehead. I grabbed my handkerchief and applied pressure but had to see how bad the damage was. I couldn't feel any skin flapping about and it wasn't too painful so I took a picture and assesed the damage. It didn't seem too bad so I continued on for the next mile with my hand on my head to try and stop the beeding. I was planning to wish anyone that I might see a Happy Haloween. :lol: We then reached the Shelburn Tr where we turned right (I believe the other person had gone left.) and continued on until I found some water to clean up. A little more cautious now, we continued on. This trail was also covered in shin deep leaves and would have been a little dificult to follow if I had been on it before. Once we reached the Highwater Tr we headed south to redline another 1.4 miles of trails, or what was left. Several sections ended at an 8 foot drop to the river but could be easily skirted around to rejoin the trail. I'm surprised this trail is not listed as closed like some others.

Highwater Tr

20131103_50.JPG

We soon made it back to the junction with the Moriah Brook Tr and crossed back over the suspension bridge. Marlie was not a fan of how much it swayed and bounced.

20131103_54.JPG

Back on the Wild River Tr we saw three moe people heading in about .2 miles from the campground making it 2 people over 16 miles and 5 total on the trails for the day. Awesome! :D We arrived back at my truck at 3:05 pm. Stopping the clock at 7 hr and 20 min. This loop only has about 3670' of elevation gain but the Kenduskeag Tr has rough footing to slow you down but time can be made up on the numerous stretches of bog bridges. It was a great fall day spent in the woods on some new trails with lots of solitued and the best hiking companion I could ask for. :D Oh, and by the way my head is healing just fine. Thanks for reading.

The Pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117581678131843187857/albums/5942009413629057457

NETC: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=14387

Fantastic read,thanks for posting.I did some extensive bushwacking in the wild river area years ago.Area is great for its remoteness within the Whites.Good job imho dealing with those "camping/hiking enthusiasts".Sometimes offering positive alternatives instead of berating people seems to do the job.I hoped they swallowed pride and listened to you.

Very nice report! I was the adopter of the Black Angel Trail back in the early 80s and consequently spent lots of time in the Wild River area. Moriah Gorge has always been one of the nicest remote wonders of the Whites. Good memories. There used to be some good wild trout fishing up on the Moriah Brook trail.

Did this same route with Judy and Emma in '08, but in the opposite direction. Should have waited for fall, as the blackflies were pretty thirsty in May. Like you, we only saw a handful of people all day. Nice pics and report! I'd like to return to explore Moriah Gorge…

KDT