Moriah via Stonybrook -- #48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadie

Reaction score
Sept. 10, we headed to the Stonybrook trailhead-- exactly a 3 h drive from Waltham, MA. We were on the trail at 9:30, me, my husband Eli and our dog Sadie! It was a perfect day-- cool clear morning, perfect hiking conditions. The trail is nicely graded the whole way. The Carter Moriah Trail towards Moriah is great, so many nice ledges on the south of Moriah-- so many great views!! A final very short section just below the summit there are some steep rocks that were challenging particularly for dog. She flailed her way up this section with some difficulty. We ate lunch at the summit, where there were about a half dozen others enjoying the sun at the summit-- gorgeous panoramic views. On the way down we were afraid the dog hurt herself on the short rocky steep section, so we picked her up and lowered her down. The trip down was nice --it was such a nice cool day! We got back to the car just before 4 PM and headed home.

This was my #48 (Eli isn't a list keeper). We celebrated with some champagne when we got back to Waltham-- we both had forgotten to pack the mini champagne bottle for the hike. I can't believe the list is done! It has been so fun doing the list of 4kers-- it has brought me to so many places in the Whites I may not have gone to otherwise! Next list is the 67 of NE or maybe NEHH, I'm not sure yet! But I also want to head back to some of the 48 that I have done when the weather wasn't nice.

For anyone interested, here is a link to some pictures from the trip. There are also some other recent hiking pictures including a recent trip up the Osseo/Flume & our recent Presidential Range Hut Hopping trip.

hiking photos

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing your quest. Saw you on top and heard your Husband Eli say "Congratulations" and should have picked up on what was going on. I've seen people do Back Flips when they finish the 48 and you guys were pretty mellow about it. How many more does Sadie have to go?

Sadie!

For various reasons, I've had to leave Sadie at home when hiking this year, this was her only 4ker this year. Overall, she has done 5 peaks! I don't plan on her doing the 4kers, I wouldn't want to bring her up some of the steeper/uglier peaks! But she definitely has the energy to do it! Not bad for a 9 year old dog!

Way to go!! What great weekend weather you had to finish your 48s...May the memories last forever and good luck on your next list!

...Jade

Congratulations. Moriah is one of my favorites and a great one to finish on.

Steve

Hi, neighbor. Way to go!

Nice pictures. I particularly enjoyed "Flammable Gas". Reminds me of a picture we took up in Acadia along the road to Thunder Hole.

Thunder Hole
Toilets

Congratuations on finishing the 48!!!!! I was up there on September 7th and someone else was finishing that day as well. I didn't get a chance to get their name because they were leaving as I was arriving. This was my 42nd, and I also just finished on West Bond on Sept. 13th. Nice photos too. Good luck with the next list.