Most Peaks in one day

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim Seaver said:
Someone PLEASE tell me that Bob Marshall did NOT carry the pack he is pictured with on the web page that details his 14 peaks in a day venture!
I am confident that the photo of Bob Marshall is a file photo and not connected to his account of the 14 peak hike. There appears to be snow on the ground which would be unlikely in July. Although that might be sand if the photo is from the Adk Loj. His account mentions that Herb Clark brought him lunch on Marcy, so he was probably doing an "ultra-light" by 1932 standards. With differences in equipment that still might have weighed more than today's full packs.;)
percious said:
But I do think the peaks have to be done under your own power. ... Anyone want to join me in my quest to break the record for 46ers all on foot? ... I figure i could do it in 5 days.
By "all on foot" Adk 46 record I assume percious means that one would have to hike the distance from Whiteface/Esther down to the other high peaks for example. BTW, What is the "all on foot" record for the 46?

In recent years, probably the Pemi traverse mentioned earlier (Zealand to Wilderness Trail) in lousy weather.

When I was younger, we did a lot of long hikes in the Presis with little forethought to which peaks we'd hit. One I remember was heading up Great Gulf (from Dolly Copp back then), up to Jefferson, then Sam Adams and Adams 4 before heading up to Adams proper, down Star Lake to Hut and up Madison descending DW Webster. I remember it because it was a loooong day ( and I was 17 then)...

In "Of The Summits of the Forests," it says that Rev. Ray Donahue and Norman Greig climbed them in 9 days. In 1969. Then in 1972 Sharp Swan and Ed Palen did the marathon run of climbing them all in 6 days, 18 hours and 18 minutes, with a support team. It appeares Donahue and Greig did them all on foot.

It should interest everyone that when Cavedog set the record for the "South beyond 6000" (or whatever it's called) he did not get rides from trailhead to trailhead, but was on foot for the whole thing (I think from first trailhead to last summit). This was the customary way to do this adventure as I understand it. He tailored his rules in each case to the local traditions. (Hence he also followed the 3000' rule for the Colorado 14ers).

here's his web page for that: Cavedog's South beyond 6000 record

From Cavedog's website
3. Vehicles: One cannot use any form of mechanical or biological devices for propulsion.

No vehicles can be used for propulsion at any time during the course of the SBI. A vehicle is any mechanical device such as cars, trucks, ATV's, bicycles, helicopters, ski lift etc., and/or any animals such as horses, mules, people, etc.
I mention this merely to note that there are different "traditions" for doing these kind of things. Since I don't think there is an established tradition for a one day adventure (unless you count 1 day (24 hour) winter or summer hut traverses which certainly have a tradition) then you can create your own. The trick will be to get someone else to follow your rules. Cavedog was successful doing that insofar as Tim Seaver was willing to follow his (Cavedog's) rules for last years White's record.

Pb

da rules

ok, no one can drive you to the trailhead (except the first and last ones). You must descend your last peak under your own power. It would be a neat idea to start and end in the same place, but that would be another quest I think.

Yes, whiteface is far removed, but i would think you save that for last. I wonder what kind of route you could come up with. As for support, I say there is nothing wrong with it. Catching a burger in Lake Placid also might be a cool way of re-supply. I think do-able in 5-6 days, but it would wreck you.

Hang gliders!

I love climbing; hate descents - they're a real come down. Always thought those soaring vultures had a better idea.

With a sufficient crew of porters, with a hang glider (nonmechanical after all) waiting on every summit or nearby cliff, and with favorable currents you might reach a remarkable number of summits in a day. You might even be able to avoid some climbs.

Hmm, getting too old to take up hang gliding. With bad conditions or bad luck might end up being vulture feed. Bummer.:( ... Never mind.

Our most epic (and painful) hike was: Start at Slant Rock, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, Upper Wolfjaw and back to Slant Rock. I had wanted to do LWJ but by time we hit UWJ we just wanted to be done. It was a long day but man was that climb up Saddleback and then Gothics fun. After this one it's amazing my kids ever went back into the woods with me....

hikerdad-

I would like to suggest if you are going to do the range trail (again), do it from JBL, and then you can definately get Saddleback and UWJ in. There is also some excellent swimming in John's Brook. The only thing you miss is the climb up the (southern (i think)) side of saddleback, which I would like to try someday. A great addition to this hike is to hike into JBL via the three brothers, over Big Slide and Yard... It's full-packable, especially since day 2 will be with a daypack.

-percious

rico, that's a beutiful idea...masochistic, psychotic and deranged, but beautiful idea...

Most was five: Jefferson - Pierce

Many Four Days:

Franconia Traverse 2X
LWJ - Gothics
Bonds & Zealand
Garfield, Galehead, Twins
South Twin & Bonds
Brace, Frissel, Round & Bear
four in the Catskills
Twins, Galehead & Bald Peak on the way home

SherpaKroto said:
In recent years, probably the Pemi traverse mentioned earlier (Zealand to Wilderness Trail) in lousy weather.
What lousy weather? It was gorgeous that day, gorgeous I tells ya.

I've done back-to-back Presie traverses, Appalachia to Mizpah then back the next day, but I wimped out and came down straight from Edmands Col instead of redoing Adams and Madison.

Many folks at Dartmouth do the 50 mile trailwalk in 24 hours, Hanover to Moosilauke. Depending on what you call a mountain that would include Velvet Rocks, North and South Moose Mt, Smarts, Cube, Mt Mist, and Moosilauke.

How about the same mountain most times in one day? The Moose involves 4 separate climbs of Moosilauke, the Sand would climb Sandwich Dome 3 times. I think to count you'd have to go all the way down to a trailhead before starting back up. I've done Moosilauke from the road twice in one day.

-dave-

Bragging rights

One time I went over Zealand to Guyot to S.Twin back to Guyot and did all three Bonds, all with a full backpack. I hiked down to the River and set up camp.

Once I drove from NYC to the Whites all night, arriving at the A-Z Trail around 3:30 PM. Then, with hardly a wink of sleep I backpacked up and did all three of the Wiley Range, going over the middle one twice before decending to the Pemi. wilderness to camp.

My frist hike in the Adirondacks- From the LWJ leanto; Lower Wolf Jaw to Saddleback and down the Orebed trail and back to camp.

Happy Trails

Once I hiked 24.5 miles and climbed 41/2 to 5 thousand feet in a day. It was in Harriamn State Park on the SBM (Suffern-Bear Mountain) trail. I have a patch to show for it.

But that is nothing next to what a group of people I know have done- Like the entire Great Range Trail (Adirondacks) from the Garden and back, or the entire Devil's Path (Catskill) end-to-end. But they are too noble to crow about it.

Last edited:
8-- they weren't high peaks but I sure was whooped. All eight were between 1000-2000 feet. It was a long day of bushwhacking in the Adirondacks.

a few medium days...

- Giant, Rocky Peak, Whiteface, Esther, Porter, Cascade...12 hours

- Phelps, Tabletop, Street, Nye, Big Slide...12 hours

a few long days...

- Colvin, Blake, Nippletop, Dial, Dix, Hough, S.Dix, E.Dix, Macomb...15 hours.

- Skylight, Gray, Marcy, Haystack, Basin, Saddleback, Gothics, Armstrong, UWJ, LWJ...13 hours

- LWJ, UWJ, Armstrong, Gothics, Sawteeth, Saddleback, Basin, Haystack, Marcy, Skylight, Gray, and Colden...21 hours

going overboard...

- Panther, Santanoni, Couchie, Seymour, Seward, Donaldson, Emmons, Whiteface, Esther, Phelps, Tabletop, Colden, Skylight, Gray, Marcy...33 hours