Mount Marshall December 21, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
Well my week started out less than perfect. On December 19, I stepped on one of my daughters toys and sliced the bottom of my left foot wide open. I have had plans to do Marshall with Dean G. since the summer and there was no way I was going to cancel this peak.

So on December 21 I wrapped my foot up and was going to make the best of the situation. So Dean and I set out from UW around 5am and headed up the trail with our snowshoes on. The snow must have been somewhere around four plus inches and packed out. After around two hours we made it to the Calamity Brook Lean-to at around day break. Here we ran into Redshorts and Chef who camped out the night before. They were headed for Marshall too!.

Dean and I were going to wait but the wind was really blowing and we were getting cold so we told them we would start breaking trail and they could catch up. Dean and I decided against going across Flowed Lands as there were no tracks and two early in the season to chance getting wet and having to turn around.

So we took the marked trail over the herdpath and there were no signs of anyone in the area at all. We grabbed something to eat and trudged on. At this point my foot was throbbing but I did not say anything and made the best of the situation. Dean and I soon lost the herdpath after about 20 min of hiking and soon thereafter Lee and Dan caught us.

From this point the four of us attacked Marshall! Well I should say Dean and Lee did. I dragged behind because of the foot and the snow was getting deeper. The snow was the white fluffy powdery stuff that where you took two steps up you slid five back. Very discouraging for me anyways.
Up towards the summit ridge the winds picked up and it was getting pretty cold. By the time I summited the other three had been there for over twenty minutes and then headed back down HAHAHAHA. So much for my summit time but I was getting cold too. I changed into dry gloves got a few picks and got something to eat.

About halfway down the mountain I noticed my left snowshoe was getting sloppy. Sure enough the toe crampon snapped right in half and I lost a few rivets. I have a repair kit but where they broke it looked to me there was no fixing to them. I was still able to hike on them carefully, so I did.

Once back down to the marked trail the snowshoe totally broke. UGH! At this point Redshorts and Chef had enough as well and packed up their stuff in the Lean-to and hiked out with us. At this point we were all exhausted and I can say Marshall kicked our butts!

The walk out to the car was uneventful and a death march. By the time we reached the cars we were all very much happy to be there and have one more beast of a mountain out of the way. We earned Marshall today as it took us 13 hours from start to finish!

I want to thanks Dean and Lee for breaking most of the trail and Dan for some great company. I would so hike with you guys again!

December 22, I dropped Dean off at AMR so he could do LWJ and I headed back to Placid to return my snowshoes to EMS. Come to find out the other crampon broke on the other shoe and I never realized it until I dropped it off. So they are now shipped out the MSR customer service and hopefully have them back in a few weeks for my attempt of the Sewards.

Happy winter!
Adam

One more thing I almost forgot. I want to thanks Tyler for letting us crash at his place after wehiked Marshall. It sure was a nice place to stay after being cold and wet

The walk out to the car was uneventful and a death march. By the time we reached the cars we were all very much happy to be there and have one more beast of a mountain out of the way. We earned Marshall today as it took us 13 hours from start to finish!

It always seems to feel like a death march for me too when heading out from Flowed lands to UW. I think the trail expands and grows longer from the daylight, lol.

So, did you somewhat follow the herbert brook or blaze your own trail, did you go over the first bump with awesome views or roughly the herdpath to the col between the first bump and the summit bump?

Hope your foot heals Adam, must of been fairly painful, make sure it doesn't get infected if you still intend to be using it more..

Jay

Mount Marshall is a death march....I fractured my knee almost at the summit on JayH's finish. Talk about a death march for me and my fellow hikers!! :eek:

Yeah, been there done that in pain!! I can feel for you with a throbbing foot!!:eek:

Hope you heal soon!!
:D

Thanks Jay and Darl. Jay we mamaged to stay in the COL between the two bumps and there was not much for views. We were in white out conditions all day. We lost the herdpath numerous times and at one point found ourselves to high to the left of the brook but managed to stay out of blowdown that way :cool:

The foot finally formed a scab over night after letting the air get to it. So it sounds like it is in the mend now and should be ready in two and a half weeks for the Sewards :)

Nice one my friend!

What is it about Marshall....when I hiked it -- it was the one and only time I forgot my trail food in my car -- that sure was a long day....I considered eating bark from trees!

Glad your foot is better. As for the trail conditions, better get that trail maintainer on that! :D

Two Broken Snowshoes--YIKES

Which kind of MSRs were they? I lost a few rivets on a hike up Allen a few years ago. Very disconcerting to be about half way and have gear start to fail. Especially soloing, as I was. (Repair kit held till the end.)

Great report.

Which kind of MSRs were they? I lost a few rivets on a hike up Allen a few years ago. Very disconcerting to be about half way and have gear start to fail. Especially soloing, as I was. (Repair kit held till the end.)

Great report.

They were the MSR Lighning Ascents. I still have not gotten them back yet either. At least EMS in Placid is going to give me a free rental pair upon their return :)

FYI: Foot is healed :)