Mount Tremont – December 3, 2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
Mary Ellen (MEB) and me were planning on hiking Mount Moosilauke via the Glencliff Trail all week with a few others possibly coming along. The late weather forecast for up to six inches of snow on Friday night into Saturday made us reconsider the longer hike and longer driving traverse across the Kanc for Mary Ellen. Way back when Dr. Wu had mentioned that Mount Tremont was well worth doing – so we changed our plans and decided to hit Tremont.

We agreed to meet at the trailhead at 7:30AM, but like all seasoned veterans of this game, we met by accident in the Irving Station at Glen Junction at 7am – doing what all winter hikers do – looking for a warm bathroom and the pain killer aisle! We made our way to the trailhead, which by the way, is on 302, about ½ mile past Sawyer Rock, and before you get to the Fourth Iron tent site.

Rachel (LittleSister) stopped off to say hello (on her way to Field, Willey and Tom) – thank you so much for Starbucks Cinnamon Scone – a great final attack on my morning of junk food (this madness has to stop!) We were ready to roll at about 7:40 – 25 degrees, light breeze, mostly cloudy.

Dr. Wu had warned MEB that this trail is steep and poorly blazed. We started off on very easy terrain and were on about two inches of fresh, light snow – in fact thru the day we would see flurries off and on. The trail is blazed all over the place – but they blazes are severely worn in most areas and they can be either faded blue, faded yellow, faded blue on top of yellow or just blue. Even with fresh snow cover it was an easy trail to follow. The first half of the hike rather easily follows Stony Brook (not the one near Moriah – a different one!) Eventually you come up to the top of a small ridge and descend and cross the brook. At this point the climbing begins.

At first it is moderate and then it gets pretty steep for awhile. The snow cover all the while is increasing to about six inches at the summit. I kept slipping and sliding and telling myself I will put my Stabilicers on for the descent. MEB kindly gave her
Stabilicers to LittleSister to use and left her crampons in the truck – they would not have been any use on the light cover as they would have caught every root along the way. Eventually it got to the point where I had to put them on – a tell tale sign is when you slip and fall on the same piece of ice three times. This was quite hilarious as there was nowhere to sit and put them on without sliding back down the hill. Oh well – I got them on eventually and continued.

This is a short trail (2.8 miles one way) but the final third is quite severe, at least on snow and ice. Also, not being a well-traveled trail I had the honor of knocking all of the snow off the branches and down my back! I definitely stayed cool today! Even with traction there were still occasionally some issues with ice under snow – not everywhere, but enough to keep you on your toes.

We finally summited a little before noon to a most spectacular view. I was expecting the view to be to the east but was pleasantly surprised to find the view was to the west across the Pemi. Tremont offers a spectacular view to Carrigain, the Sawyer Ponds, Vose Spur, the Tris, and Franconia Ridge way off in the distance. I shoveled off a spot to sit and have lunch, hot chocolate and shelter from the wind. The summit was 15 degrees with about a 20 mph wind – even I was cold! This was the first time my toes were ever cold on a hike and I actually found my teeth chattering as I began my descent. I elected to keep the same clothes on and keep moving. This was good enough as I figured – 15 minutes of hiking had m toes warm and I was warm. It would not be long before the gloves came off again.

Mary Ellen was clearly hoping to qualify for the US Luge team – her sliding technique down the upper section was flawless! :D I took another really nice spill when I hit another small piece of ice and slid off the trail and into the trees. :eek: It must have looked spectacular from behind, but I escaped unscathed. Thanks for pulling me out of the woods MEB!

After crossing the stream again the remainder of the hike is pretty easy and is really a nice woodland walk. The brook was raging – it must have rained a bit this past week, because the run off looked like spring to me. This peak is a fine example of why we should ignore 4ks from time to time. First of all – this is a real nice hike, even in the lower sections because of the rushing water. The upper section, at least on snow and ice were quite challenging at times. The view from the summit is spectacular and there is a nice view across 302 from the trail to Hart Ledge on the descent. This trail gains 2600 feet in 2.8 miles – and the first half of the hike is real easy, so you get an idea of how steep the second half gets. This was tougher than a lot of 4ks and had spectacular, unique views – a great trip!

Again – great hiking with Mary Ellen – she will be posting pictures soon and we have vowed that the next time we hike it will be a loop, not an out and back!

Cool report Sapblatt! I drove past you guys at the parking lot that morning on the way to hiking Tom, Field and Willey and saw Little Sis's truck (wasn't entirely sure it was her until a few minutes later when I saw her at our trailhead). Had I known it was you guys, I of course would have stopped and said hello.

Looking forward to the pictures! :D

Be sure to post your loop hike plans. Pat and I want to see the other side of Tremont, and I've heard great things about the Rob Brook Trail - we're into wet feet and beaver ponds and bogs.

Mary Ellen, you'll become famous for pulling dogs and people out of precarious places!

Thanks Mike for another great day out in the mountains! You did an excellent job at describing what the trail was like and picking this one out....I thought those switchbacks were never going to end. :) Our efforts though were well rewarded when we arrived at the summit...the views are fabulous! One of the best non-4000 footer I've been up! My favorite part of the day was sitting up on the summit taking in the views and sunshine and of course your hot chocolate....thanks for sharing!

If there had only been a bit more snow the way down would not have been a bit more enjoyable...I've got a few interesting bruises on my backside!

Here are some picutres from out trip.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mbaross

-MEB