mount washinton auto road - Lincoln Continentals???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
passing this on for a freind who is into cars -

he heard that Lincoln Continentals aren't allowed on the road -

anyone know why???

"Why are 1969 and earlier Lincoln Continentals not allowed on the auto road? They’re big, but so are lots of other cars from that time! So why specifically the old Continentals???"

Several models of cars are specifically excluded. It has to do with weight, braking power, and gearing. There are other restictions due to vehicle size, but I'm guessing the 1969 and earlier Lincoln Continentals are due to poor engine braking.

Here's the page with all the restrictions: link

-dave-

Do they have drum brakes? If so, drum brakes are very prone to fading when heated up..like say coming down the auto road... Not good to lose braking power driving down Mt Washington, especially when you're as big as a Lincoln Continental....

jay

No Hummers, except H3, either, so it may also have to do with the width of the vehicle ? I believe Shaq can comfortably stretch out and nap in a Lincoln. ;)
They "highly recommended" we not take our entire family up in our Dodge Caravan about 8 years ago, brakes would be over-stressed. The guided tour in their van was more fun anyway.

Pre-'69 Lincolns have a problem with a wimpy low gear ratio to the weight of the vehicle. Add a full load of passengers and an 8 mile constant descent, and you get a overheated brake situation.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE ANY OF THE VEHICLES prohibited on the Auto Road. It all has to do with the Road itself.

The bottom line is the AR's 8 mile constant descent with a % grade exceeding what is found on normal highways and byways, simply can overwhelm the engine braking capacity provided by the lowest gear ( in some automatic transmissions) and place an undue strain on the braking systems.

All of the safety limitations are the result of lots of experience with these cars on the AR, not some arbitrary finger pointing.

Heads up to those with Ford 500's with the CVT ( continuously variable transmission), this is the latest car "under the radar"... no ruling yet, but we are seeing some Pi$$ Poor Performance ( little or no compression braking) in low gear with that particular transmission. It is a new transmission and not all drivers are conversant with the newer "trip-tronic" trannys.

We also see an influx of rental car drivers who don't speak/understand English. As new cars populate the rental market, and fly-drive vacations from Europe become a great deal, there is a gaping differential between car performance and actual driver understanding of the car's potential.

Your friendly Toll House attendant,

Breeze.

Jay H said:
Do they have drum brakes? If so, drum brakes are very prone to fading when heated up..like say coming down the auto road... Not good to lose braking power driving down Mt Washington, especially when you're as big as a Lincoln Continental....

jay
Jay, The standard on many nicer cars (espeically japanese and european cars) today is 4-Wheel Disk, but many standard cars and most pickups still have Front disk brakes and Rear drum brakes. Front brakes provide 60%-65% of the stopping power (depending who you speak with) and can also fade under heavy usage - Worse, you can warp your rotors.

we still advise using lowest gears to maximise engine braking, and thereby sparing drums or discs.

It is quite aMAZING HOW MANY people out there who just can't quite get on board tucking their auto-tranny into 1 or L, manually.

Breeze

I've never been up Mt Washington so this thread has piqued my interest.
Are there any flatter spots on the road?
Is it truly non-stop braking for the whole eight miles?

From my memory, there are very few "flatter" spots. There are some areas where 1st or 2nd gear are enough, but lots of long distance brake usage. There are several pullover areas for cool downs, but it is a workout for autos. I remember having the windows open and running the heater on full to try to keep the engine cooler, both going up and down, but it was the only way that my wife was ever going to see the views from above treeline except by looking at my pictures.

Quietman said:
From my memory, there are very few "flatter" spots. There are some areas where 1st or 2nd gear are enough, but lots of long distance brake usage. There are several pullover areas for cool downs, but it is a workout for autos. I remember having the windows open and running the heater on full to try to keep the engine cooler, both going up and down, but it was the only way that my wife was ever going to see the views from above treeline except by looking at my pictures.

Quietman
In case you havn't been there Whiteface in the ADKs has a much friendlier auto road. It is paved and not as steep as Mt Washington. Take your wife up that one it's easier on the driver's nerves as well.

Also if you ever get to Washington state the road up to Sunrise on Mt Rainier @ 6500 feet or so is prime. Paved two lanes with pullouts and well graded. No real strain on the brakes either.

I'd have to add that Mt Washington auto road is equivalent to many of the logging roads I've drove out west.

Last edited:
If you want to enjoy the trip more, take the Auto Road "stage" vans up Mt Washington instead of driving yourself. Everyone gets the chance to take in the view that way and you don't have to worry about your car's brakes or transmission. The downside is you don't get to spend as much time on the summit.

-dave-

I drove my Subaru Outback Sport (Imprezza) up there and had no problems at all. I actually though it was a blast of a drive! :D

Jay H said:

jay

Disc brakes were primarily a "performance car" feature until the 1970s. A 1969 Lincoln Continental certainly was a "luxury" as opposed to being a "performance" model.

I remember those old drum-brakes-all-around vehicles. I'll take disc brakes over them any day -- even when the disc rotors warp!

G.

I owned a '69 Lincoln Continental. It had drums in the rear but discs up front. It also had what were known as "suicide doors". The rear doors had their hinges on the rear edge. If your brakes failed going down the Auto Road you could open the rear doors and use them as air brakes.

GeorgeFitch said:
I owned a '69 Lincoln Continental. It had drums in the rear but discs up front. It also had what were known as "suicide doors". The rear doors had their hinges on the rear edge. If your brakes failed going down the Auto Road you could open the rear doors and use them as air brakes.

I love your avatar, George. Even your dogs get it. I'd love to see them going to weather!!!!

Breeze

BorealChickadee said:
Is it truly non-stop braking for the whole eight miles?
Not if you have a manual transmission. I drove a Saturn sedan and my current PT Cruiser to the top and just tossed it in first or second for the climb and descent. The climb got the Saturn a little hot, but the PT did fine (better cooling system?) No overheating problems at all on the descent for either car, and hardly needed to touch the brakes. You just ned to get used the engine revving high (3-4k versus the normal 1.5-2k). I think most people have trouble with this concenpt, and end up cooking their brakes in the process.

On the other hand, we passed a Hyundai suv on the way down at about the 4 mile post and it looked and smelled like it was having a hard time with the climb.