Mt Garfield/Mt. Hale

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
While enjoying the generous views from the summit of Mt. Garfield on Thursday (05/25) I was reminded off John Muir's essay "the Bear, the Fly and the Grasshopper," where Muir describes the freshness of a summer day in the Sierra. Not that I encountered any bears or grasshoppers I was treated to the sounds of winds , birds and insects all of which provided a elegant musical accompaniment to the superb views of the Pemigewasset Wilderness.

I bgean my hike up the Garfield Trail at late morning arriving at the summit by early afternoon. The streams were just high enough to make the crossings a bit tricky and I had to bush a bit when making the second crossing of Spruce Brook. There was some wetness and occasional running water on the trail, and a few minor instances of serious mud. All in all the wetness factor was much less than I had expected for this time of the year. Mild temps and occasional cloudiness made for rather pleasant hiking.

At the outset I was a little concerned about slippery conditions at the summit approach having caught glimpses of patchy snow on Mt. Lafayette during the drive up. I decided to take the stabilicers along just in case. I did encounter a little slip 'n slide just beyond the junction with the Garfield Ridge Trail but with care and the aid of my hiking poles was able to bareboot my way to the summit rather easily.

On the descent the turnout of blackflies did diminish a bit of the rapture of the day. Yes the bugs are a'comin! Thankfully I brought my headnet along. Great suggestion, Marty.

The following morning I ascended Mt. Hale via the Hale Brook Trail. The temperature was considerably warmer than the previous day so I hiked in my shorts for the first time this year. There was a fair amount of muddiness and running water on this trail but again nothing excessive. The pleasent woods and the crisscrossing of Hale Brook provide a nice compensation for the lack of dramatic views atop Mt. Hale. Standing on the rockpile up there does help, especially for tall folk.

Two more great days of hiking!

Ray

Last edited: