Mt Greylock, question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIGHKN

Reaction score
We are planning on driving to hike this on Sunday from Portland Maine. We know most of our day will be spent driving to and from, but was wondering how long of a hike it is to the summit? Any info on how long the trail is and the average time it takes to do the hike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We are planning on driving to hike this on Sunday from Portland Maine. We know most of our day will be spent driving to and from, but was wondering how long of a hike it is to the summit? Any info on how long the trail is and the average time it takes to do the hike would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There are trails of various lengths to the summit. The Thunderbolt Trail is the most direct, I believe around 2 or so miles. The approaches from the north and west are longer, and the approach from the south is the longest (maybe half a dozen miles, I forget offhand).

There is a nice new map in the new AMC Massachusetts Guide (released this year).

Depends which trail, the snow conditions, and whether the road to the trailhead is open.

A reasonable route is the A.T. from the north (start at Williams Reservoir) - maybe four miles, 2500 feet of gain. That gives a one-way book time of 3hrs or so, but it's a route you can easily speed up on. Approaching from the east (eg, Thunderbolt ski trail) is shorter (even if you have to walk up Thiel Rd), giving a book time around 2 hrs, but it's steeper so snow conditions will be more of a factor.

map another map

Last edited:
Thunderbolt is most direct; the Cheshire Harbor Trail may be faster. It is, essentially, a road. Park maps and lists of trail mileages are available at the DCR website.

If going up Cheshire Harbor & Old Adams Road to AT, expect mud on the road & lower trail & some snow higher up.

In Summer it's taken me just over an hour with a fanny pack. That said, it's a harder route to find & drive to. I've walked the road (from the north) before when it's been gated & it's not really a bad walk either.

Have not seen any recent reports, I've been off-line.

If you park at the end of Gould Road, you can hike up the Thunderbolt trail and down the Gould trail. Round trip should take about 6 hours. Be prepared for mud.

Greylock Glen

Thanks everyone, I guess we will decide once we get there and see how much time we have, so we can still get home at a reasonable hour.

Thunderbolt conditions recently

I hiked the Tbolt (skinned it actually) on Sat. Mar. 21. At that time I was able to ski nearly the entire length of the trail with interruptions (it was patchy) but most people were walking. You can drive to the base of the trail on Thiel Rd. but the parking area was muddy and rutted.

My guess is that there will still be patches of snow and ice but it will be mostly mud to deal with down low. The AT was all snow and still fairly deep so expect to run into snow there for sure and postholing is not out of the question in some of the sheltered areas that collect snow.

Aside from the Powerline the Tbolt is probably the most direct route to the summit. Figure a two hour climb on average.

Last edited: