Mt Moriah -3/08 for my 48th Winter!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
Mt Moriah -for my 48th Winter!! Date change to 3/09

I'm planning on hiking Mt Moriah for my 48th Winter 4000 footer on March 9th. :)

Hopefully we can gather a group for the celebration!
I'll give more detail as the time comes closer.

Hoping my friend bags Isolation so she can celebrate with me for her 48th also!

I already have a few joining me, the more the merrier!! Hope for sunshine and low winds!!!

Good Karma!!

Last edited:
Any plans on what trail you are using? As Bob and Geri can attest, Carter Moriah trail from Bangor Street can be a bit hard to follow after Mt Surprise. We found several viewpoints that arent on the trail but made for a long day a few years back. The trade off with taking Stony brook, is that it is more sheltered until you hook up with the AT

Mt Moriah for my 48th Winter!!!

With snow amounts and parking considered, it'll be Stony Brook Trail. It will protect us longer and has great views.

Planning on meeting in the parking lot at 8:30 and ready to go. It should be a fun group and a great finish for my Winter 48!!! We will probably split up in groups as we hike along, as I think it's going to be a great turnout!!!

Looking forward to hiking with old and new friends for a great hike!!

Snowshoes & headlamp definitly, may need crampons. It looks like a big group of hikers are joining me!!! Can be very exposed and windy across the top so bring appropriate gear!!

Last edited:
Date change due to storm!

:confused: Well I hate to do it, but with freezing rain/sleet predicted 100% for Saturday I'm changing the final hike for Sunday.

It's not just the conditions on the mountain, but I have a few that are driving up that morning and I don't want them trying to drive in nasty conditions and take chances.

Sunday looks much better, with light snow predicted but not rain. I want my final Winter 4000 footer to be enjoyable!

I hope this doen't upset anyone's plans too much. Weather and safety go hand in hand!

Everyone remember that we have to change the clocks Saturday night!!! Trailhead time is still for 8:30, so it'll feel like 7:30 to all of us!!

I hope people can still join me to celebrate and enjoy the hike!!!
Darlene

Darlene, you may want to adjust your selected route. The condition of the snowpack and the expected heavy rain on Saturday is going to make Stony Brook potentially dangerous to cross Sunday morning. There may be option of bushwhacking on the south side of the brook from the Stony Brook development, but you may end up going through someone's backyard (not good form). Carter Moriah from Bangor street is on a ridgeline with no significant brook crossings so it should be "safe" but the lower section north of Mt Surprise may turn into a stream as it has no switchbacks and mimimal waterbars. Defintely going to be one of these days where a close eye on conditions will be crucial.

peakbagger said:
Darlene, you may want to adjust your selected route. The condition of the snowpack and the expected heavy rain on Saturday is going to make Stony Brook potentially dangerous to cross Sunday morning. Defintely going to be one of these days where a close eye on conditions will be crucial.

Thanks Peakbagger, we're going to stick with Stony Brook and hope for the best. We have some strong hikers aboard and last time we were able to bushwack upstream to a place to cross, so hopefully we'll make it.

We do have plan (B)...using Bob as a bridge, we just need to bring a snorkle and a wetsuit for him......(he hasn't quite agreed to plan B yet)

Thanks for the input and suggestions!!

Darl58 said:
We do have plan (B)...using Bob as a bridge, we just need to bring a snorkle and a wetsuit for him......(he hasn't quite agreed to plan B yet)

Plan C is that I toss you across the brook and hope you land in soft snow!

Looking forward to seeing you in a dress finally!!!!

From the trail drive up the road about a half mile, park by the fence and hike in from there. You bypass the first and largest water crossing. Today snowshoes not needed. Trail easy to follow.

corsee said:
From the trail drive up the road about a half mile, park by the fence and hike in from there. You bypass the first and largest water crossing. Today snowshoes not needed. Trail easy to follow.

Thanks for the beta!!! It would be sweet if snowshoes not needed but after the rain this afternoon and evening....thinking we'll be using them.

Can't wait and am still hoping for sunshine!!

Thank you Darlene for organizing this hike and congratulations on finishing your winter 48’s. Thanks also to a great group of people who I thoroughly enjoyed your company. I hope to hike/socialize with you soon. Maybe at the Swiss Bob event, hint, hint.

p.s. The river crossing was easy.