Mt. Tom, sparring moose, and the gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
What an incredible day! I started with a little moose stalking on the way at sunrise. I saw these two cows in a meadow. They were hanging out together, then one laid her ears back and approached the other cautiously.

mttom076.jpg

The both walked toward each other and I knew something was about to happen. They both reared up and took a few swipes at each other, but none of them landed. It was more like a dance than a fight...

mttom079.jpg

It was such a beautiful sight to start the day! There was a bull moose into the woods, for whom they were showing off. I heard the bull wander away toward another meadow near the river (location withheld due to hunting season). I circled around a big stand of spruce and ended up right in the path of the larger cow and I had to say hello just before she bunmped into me!

mttom094.jpg

I followed as she crossed the calm river...

mttom161.jpg

We eventually caught up to the bull...

mttom070.jpg

This was such a wonderful morning, then it was off to Crawford notch to hike Mt. Tom.

view from Bear Notch Road, showing the hiking conditions for the day...

mttom185.jpg

view from the Crawford Notch vista on Rt. 302

mttom192.jpg

Great hiking conditions and surprisingly light traffic all the way to Mt. Tom.

gray jay at summit...

mttom037.jpg

I climbed a strategically located tree for a better view to the Presidentials...

mttom085.jpg

After the hike, I enjoyed a wonderful ride to Barnes Feild on the Jefferson Notch Road and Pinkham B Road. I consider it the second peak of foliage when the beech turn the forest rusty orange..

mttom092.jpg

It was great meeting the few people who were there when I arrived, Dr. Wu, Eric, Dave, Darl, and then Rebecca showed. The crowd was growing as I decided to go for beer and food. On the way I got a phone call from home about a matter that needed my attention so I never made it back. But the food that Eric and Frank were cooking was awesome and it was great meeting you all. Next time, I'll come better prepared.

happy trails :)

Amazing photos as always - thanks for sharing. Very nice to finally meet you Patrick.

It was great meeting the few people who were there when I arrived, Dr. Wu, Eric, Dave, Darl, and then Rebecca showed. The crowd was growing as I decided to go for beer and food. On the way I got a phone call from home about a matter that needed my attention so I never made it back. But the food that Eric and Frank were cooking was awesome and it was great meeting you all. Next time, I'll come better prepared.

happy trails :)
Wicked awesome meeting Forestgnome (Patrick)!!! It was nice to finally meet the man behind the camera. Thanks for the beer as well!!

-Dr. Wu

Great pics! I was anxiously waiting to see them after hearing your story around the campfire.

We figured you were being your "forestgnome" self when you dissapeared and we didn't see you come back to the fire.....It was great to meet you and to spend time sharing hiking stories and telling of your photyo opps!

Hope to see you again Patrick!:D

WOW! Very nice! I'm jealous I didn't get to see our usual moose last weekend. Well there's always this weekend.......