My 48 Journey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
It was 2003 and I was still fresh into the wilds and crazy days of adolescence. Who knew where each month brought on, and would be fine to say it was faint fairness that I wanted to do the NH 48 at fourteen.

Flash forward peaks later into 2004 as my scoutmaster and his followers were at the junction of Zealand turning back in late July as the day was drawing nigh, and further disappointment on the summit of South Twin, because its neighbor was far out. The eventual foundations of my 48 were long set in the interim years of my seven years doing the list.

Starting another chapter in my life at college was marked with the loss of my friend Ray Loring. Attaining his Elysium in sublime isolation with Marty and Jason, that peak of North Twin would be unbeknownst was to be my final peak in a different way. While my spirit did not leap into heavenly sphere, as his did, the coincidence and proximity was providential.

My journey began with scouting first and foremost, donning a pair of old work boots, a canteen, a huge bag of gorp, plenty of socks and t-shirts and the daunting knowing that I was to climb Galehead to condition myself for a backpacking trip out in New Mexico the following summer. Needless to say, as many begin in hiking as goofers so was the writer of this account. But time was to be the guide, the Polaris to finishing the list.

Having some peaks done before my trip out to New Mexico bestowed confidence that I ought to not quit hiking after investing so much time. My friend, the late Ray Loring was rekindling his hiking career and we began to motivate ourselves to climb the peaks. We as true gentlemen hikers, climbed at a leisurely pace, took in the views and indulged in post hike lattes.

This continuity merged with meeting our good friend Marty who opened the door to his friends met here on Views from the Top. With such fine folks that Marty introduced me through his own list completions and yearly potlucks at Pat and Audrey’s bolstered a want of completing the 48 for sure. For Ray’s sake, he skyrocketed on his own ambitions doing the NE 67 and beginning his NH 100 Highest, before his attainment of Elysium in 2008 with Marty and Jason on Peak Above the Nubble.

Thus, Marty and I bore the light of Ray and of the hikes we shared or they shared together. By the beginning of this year I was past 40, well past over the hill. Taking a small job at Pinkham Notch there was six peaks left over. Being that Ray left us on September sixth, the last four (originally to be five and sixth to be the final) were to be done in silence in Ray’s memory, of which were soloed over rugged terrain and liberally documented for years ahead.

September came quick after my summer and in the planning of the hike, it was to go as planned. The first day was spent climbing Adams with my dad and brother; we had the mountain all to ourselves which glorified Ray’s memory still. Being there was so peaceful knowing that the end of the journey was so close.

The hike in itself was interesting. Each of us carried gear from past climbs. Wearing an Army rucksack and a battle vest, could only call to my own future, as my brother carried the pack used on so many of my climbs in the early years. A gathering of trekking poles of my own, and Ray’s and my father’s personal set almost was like a handhold from the beginning of the 48.

Marty joined me for one leg out to Zealcliff, in which we talked friend and friend united in nature’s presence. The rucksack on my back was a burden as I could feel was akin in something out of “Pilgrim’s Progress.” I am glad to have had his company on that stretch of the epic climb and it did him good, as he did not see the view from the cliff at all until now.

The last night before the final push was spent at Guyot shelter where six years ago I was there not knowing what lay ahead then. Early the next morning, the final was quiet as many of my finishes are, marked with my own sprinting up to the deceiving summit, I remarked to my dad that history repeats himself, on South Twin it was socked in with clouds, now today it was.

Tuco agreed to welcome my brother, dad, and I on the top and seeing him I almost swore that I hallucinated. The customary handshakes and photos were taken and we enjoyed our company at the outlook and the descent down. As fast as this journey began, it has ended.

My thanks are due to my father and brother for assisting me on this climb. To Marty and Tuco for their willingness to join me on the beginning and final stretches of the hikes, to the many VFTT members who have joined me in company of others in their celebrations, and to the late Ray Loring in whom this weekend was dedicated to.

Pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=247319&id=517634737

Last edited:
Clarke - Congratulations!!!!!!!:cool::D:cool::D

I am so proud of you, my good friend. Am so happy that I got a chance to join you for at least a portion of your big hike and also glad that our pal Tuco was there at N. Twin. Weren''t the views from Zeacliff killer?

I am sure you also vividly remember the moment yesterday where we were talking with two really nice guys on the trail. One was telling us about his recent trip up Peak Above The Nubble and how he read a laminated write-up about a composer who passed away there, which of course was Ray Loring. It was a surreal moment, as he was unknowingly talking to Ray's two closest hiking buddies. I told this story to my wife and she thought that God willed us to meet these fine gentlemen on this special hike. She could very well have been right.

I look forward to many, many future hikes with you, Clarke. Congratulations again.

Marty

A wonderful memorial for Ray and very poignant trip report.
Congratulations!

Congratulations Clarke on a great achievement and a beautiful memorial to Ray. He was with you all the way, and smiles down on you each day. It's great that your dad and brother could join you for the finish.

I was glad to be with you on a few of your 48. Hopefully, there a few more in the future.

Clarke- Congrats again on completing "this portion" of your journey. Many other places to see in your future.

I am glad I could meet you for your finish and other hikes as well. It was quite surreal seeing you emerge from the fog onto the North Twin summit. I think it was great you could finish on a backpack with your father and brother, great stuff. It was nice meeting them- nice guys.

See you on the trails soon!

_ i only took a few pix....... http://tuco.smugmug.com/General-Hiking/Ridgewalkers-NH48-North-Twin/13938154_oMLPf#1023526458_CscSF