My Tarp is getting sticky

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
I had the same problem with an old tent. The urathane costing started getting quite sticky. It was most problematic when I packed the tent and the coating start sticking the tent itself. It make unpacking the tent like unrolling tape.

I heard that this is caused by a breakdown of the coating. Meaning it was reaching the end of its life.

So I'm wondering in anyone ever faced this same problem and if there are any viable options to contine the useful life of the item.

I was considering a coating of talc or corn starch. That's what I tried last time and it seemed to work a little.

thoughts?

I heard that this is caused by a breakdown of the coating. Meaning it was reaching the end of its life.

So I'm wondering in anyone ever faced this same problem and if there are any viable options to contine the useful life of the item.
Yes, a very nice and well used Eureka Timberline 4 man. But I got over 20 years out of it. What might have to pushed it over the edge was we put it up in the yard in the sun and it stayed up for several weeks. The next summer when we got it out, it was sticky in some parts and in others the coating was hard and flaking off. I briefly looked into recoating it. I have not replaced it, because I have two other tents.

I've seen/felt this on Scout tents. I suspect it's on its way out. Could be ozone, sunlight, mold, storage wet, moist or in a humid place. The Scouts are tough on tents, your's just sounds like it's getting old.

talc or corn starch? That would just be a band aid. The coating will begin to peel soon and you'll lose it's water proofness. Recoating it will make it a little heavier and if the base is weak that would peel off sooner than later. If a little mild soap and water doesn't help it's donefor.

Sorry, I'm sure it's like losing an old friend.

!

Yes, a very nice and well used Eureka Timberline 4 man. But I got over 20 years out of it. What might have to pushed it over the edge was we put it up in the yard in the sun and it stayed up for several weeks. The next summer when we got it out, it was sticky in some parts and in others the coating was hard and flaking off. I briefly looked into recoating it. I have not replaced it, because I have two other tents.

Nice. :confused: I just want to know where my royalties are for the photo credit on the mug ! :mad: ;)

Urethane coatings also emit a characteristic (and ultimately fairly strong) odor when they break down around 20-30 years of age.

Sometimes even new coated fabrics are sticky--Snow Lion tents from the mid-to-late 1070s had this problem. It was nearly impossible to get the poles through sleeves if the tent had been stored for any length of time.

By all means, try the talcum powder--if it helps, great. If not, then you will probably need to replace the tarp. (Besides, sil-nylon is lighter than urethane coated nylon...) I wouldn't use corn starch--its organic and is more likely to absorb water and mildew or rot.

Doug

--Snow Lion tents from the mid-to-late 1070s had this problem.
Doug

Yes, as I recall it was a Snow Lion tent that Arnulf the Hapless used when he became the Earl of Flanders. ;)

I haven't had a "modern" (bought in the last 15 years) tent, sleeping bag or shell go to the sticky, smelly place, but I did have a North Face bivy bag turn. As it was small enough and I liked using it, I washed it a couple times and treated the bottom with a waterproofing spray. I only use it now in tents and lean-tos.

If the stick and stink has rendered the tarp effectively useless, I'd wash and treat it.

Thanks for the info. I picked up about 1L of unscented Talc to make a mess of the yard, me, and anything else that within the wind's coverage area hopefully that will include the tarp. I think I'll attempt this task over the white landscape gravel. Maybe it will help that look better too.:cool:

Backpacker Magazine (I know, you all subscribe faithfully! :D) mentions a product called Goof Off:

http://www.goof-off.com/
http://www.epinions.com/pr-Housewares-Goof_Off_The_Ultimate_Remover/display_~reviews

I've never tried it. It comes with a host of warnings, and I'm sure more expensive than other methods. Just throwing it out there.
I think the problem here is deterioration of the polyurethane coating on the (most likely nylon) fabric rather than external dirt/grime. If you wash it off, the fabric will lose its waterproofing.

Washing coated (hiking) fabrics with high-powered cleaning agents is generally disrecommended because it is likely to damage the coating. Gentle rinsing with water is generally preferable.

Doug

Last edited:
Urethane coatings also emit a characteristic (and ultimately fairly strong) odor when they break down around 20-30 years of age.

Doug

Wow that's good to know...and I thought mine stunk from the Spam juice I spilled on the floor.:eek: