Nalgene pulling bisphenol-A polycarbonate bottles off market

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
From Boston.com

Hard-plastic Nalgene water bottles made with bisphenol A will be pulled from stores over the next few months because of growing consumer concern over whether the chemical poses a health risk.
Nalge Nunc International, a division of Waltham, Mass.-based Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., said Friday it will substitute its Nalgene Outdoor line of polycarbonate plastic containers with BPA-free alternatives.

Last edited:
But wait there's more

So I've been doing a little reading about bisphenol-A. It apparently isn't that bad SHORT TERM. In fact, it is used as an anti-oxidant in some foods and cosmetics. But it is an endocrine disruptor because it mimics estrogen. So repeated exposures to it could be a bad thing.

Of course Nalgene is saying that very little of BPA leaches out of the bottles even with hot water in them. And of course, I am once again annoyed because I have to trust that a corporation is looking out for my health instead of its profits.

Solitary said:
And of course, I am once again annoyed because I have to trust that a corporation is looking out for my health instead of its profits.

You don't have to trust Nalgene. Check these groups studies:

Q: Which government and regulatory agencies have reviewed polycarbonate?
A: Many government and regulatory agencies, including those listed below, have conducted comprehensive testing and review of polycarbonate and determined that it poses no health risk to humans.
The Environmental Protection Agency (USA)
The Food and Drug Administration (USA)
The European Commission Scientific Committee on Food
The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment
Japan Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare

Personally I don't think I'll be getting rid of my Nalgenes any time soon.

Keith

Last edited:
Solitary said:
But it is an endocrine disruptor because it mimics estrogen. So repeated exposures to it could be a bad thing.
No wonder I went from an A cup to a B recently!

I mean, its good that they're doing that but I'll be using my Nalgenes until they (or I) die. I guess I'll just have to endure disgusted glances from healthier hikers walking by ;)

SAR-EMT40 said:
Personally I don't think I'll be getting rid of my Nalgenes any time soon.

I'm with you on this one. As a teacher, several of my students in recent weeks have been voicing their concern over their classmates' Nalgenes and my own. Given the vast amount of things in this world that "just might one day lead to my demise" I'm not going to spend my time fussing about a bottle. After a class discussion on the subject, they don't seem to be glaring at me when I sip from my Nalgene. Or at least not one that is related to my bottle of choice. ;)

Solitary said:
Here's the information page on bisphenol-A from the makers of Nalgene:

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/bpaInfo.html
Of course, one wouldn't expect the manufacturer to point to evidence suggesting that there is a problem. However, some of the references within appear to be above board and worth reading. (I read them.)

Solitary said:
But wait there's more
So I've been doing a little reading about bisphenol-A. It apparently isn't that bad SHORT TERM. In fact, it is used as an anti-oxidant in some foods and cosmetics. But it is an endocrine disruptor because it mimics estrogen. So repeated exposures to it could be a bad thing.
The references in the above link say that BPA is rapidly converted to inactive forms in the human body and rapidly excreted*. This suggests that it doesn't hang around and long term effects are unlikely.

* This is not true of mice, so the effects in mice could be significantly more severe than in humans.

<personal opinion>
IMO, this has the earmarks of yet another hysteria...
* The evidence for a problem is weak and suspect.
* The evidence for a non-problem at the legal limit doses appears reasonable.

We shall see what future evidence says.

I certainly don't see any reason to discard my polycarbonate bottles.
</personal opinion>

If you want to err on the side of caution (particularly for baby bottles), that is your choice.

Doug

There are known risks that are big (smoking, not wearing seat belts), known risks that are small (eating one big greasy burger), things that we know are not a risk, and unknown risks, most of which are likely small but we just don't know yet. This one is the fourth type. I talk about this a lot in my job. For some reason, people tend to worry more about the fourth (and often the third too) type than either of the first two. Maybe I'll worry when there are more data, but certainly not now.

Anybody hear the NPR piece the other night on this topic? Wow, was that unhelpful.

Weatherman

There were some news items on NPR today. Apparently the world-wide concern is more with BPA in baby bottles than water bottles, like Nalgene and the like. Wal-Mart is about to stop selling baby bottles with BPA in this country, and already has in Canada.

There's evidence that children in many countries in the world are experiencing early puberty, and there's a concern that BPA may be one of chemicals causing it.

Edit - from an economic point of view, banning BPA is probably good news for manufacturers. Think of all the replacement bottles which will be sold ...

Last edited:
Like everything avoid excess. Don't drink out of them everyday. Duh.

I have several bottles and I'm keeping them. I avoid putting hot water in them. Not because of the fears but because I don't think it tastes good.

Go barbecue this weekend and eat all those carcinogens , it looks like an awesome weekend comming up.

Some theories state high states of happiness wards off disease.

What should you do?

Follow yor gut instincts.

Peace & love. Have great weekend.

Rickie

Sounds like so long as these effects of BPA are not short term, Nalgene is probably a bit safe from lawsuits, etc. etc. Which means it sounds like a great way for Nalgene to sell more bottles which do the same thing!

Jay

Life Causes Death

I agree with Maddy, Life Causes Death. The risk from this chemical appears to be infintestsimal. I'll keep my water bottle collection.

However, I think it is prudent to ban the chemical from infant bottles.

Solitary said:
... And of course, I am once again annoyed because I have to trust that a corporation is looking out for my health instead of its profits.
I think that is EXACTLY what they are looking out for: their profits. There are 2 product research cycles: discovery and retirement. We can't forget that. As soon as a product hits the market (or sooner), the research to replace it starts.(BTW, I feel bad for the person who invented the mousetrap: they spent their lives looking for the better mousetrap so they could make money on the new improved version...)

Anyone wanting to get rid of theirs are free to send them to me. I'm waiting for the Doctor to come in these bottles :rolleyes:

cbcbd said:
I mean, its good that they're doing that but I'll be using my Nalgenes until they (or I) die. I guess I'll just have to endure disgusted glances from healthier hikers walking by ;)
The Optimus 8r, Svea 123, 60/40 cloth, cagoules, jeans, Frostline Kits, external frame packs...and now the Nalgene. None of that other stuff worked either.

Kevin Rooney said:
There were some news items on NPR today. Apparently the world-wide concern is more with BPA in baby bottles than water bottles, like Nalgene and the like. Wal-Mart is about to stop selling baby bottles with BPA in this country, and already has in Canada.

There's evidence that children in many countries in the world are experiencing early puberty, and there's a concern that BPA may be one of chemicals causing it.
And nearly everyone in my family looked at me funny when I drove all over the place 6 years ago looking for GLASS baby bottles for the newborn. They were darn hard to find, but I found them at a Babies 'R Us 50 miles from home. I didn't know about BPA at the time. I just got a bad feeling about the way food gets absorbed into plastics, especially when heated in a plastic container, and opted to keep the kids away from plastics as much as was practical during their early development.

Smitty

I have found that the Lexan variety of Nalgenes have a built in self destruct mechanism. After 10 or 15 years of backcountry use, at some point they dont bounce very well when dropped ;). Somewhere in my camping stuff are a few spare lids from past bottles.