Nalgene pulling bisphenol-A polycarbonate bottles off market

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tee Jay,

Bihydrational roughly translated is It takes two to tangle.
Water and plastic.

Sorry,
CS/BMT

I am still waiting for the DEET (Uncle Ben's) to finish me off.....

I'm not a scientist, but I have an innate sense that DEET is not healthy to us or for our waste water as we wash our clothes that have been doused with DEET. Solvent, nasty stuff. :(

Getting back to NALGENE....do the old fashioned scientific looking type semi-transparent white bottles have the same issue of leaching?

Getting back to NALGENE....do the old fashioned scientific looking type semi-transparent white bottles have the same issue of leaching?
That is the point of my question about which kind of plastic. Nalgene makes/has made bottles from three different kinds of plastic.
* HDPE: translucent soft-ish plastic. No BPA. Has been around for a long time. Still works.
* Polycarbonate: hard, clear. Contains and leaches BPA. Recently discontinued.
* Tritan (tm) copolyester: clear, slightly flexible. No BPA. New to the market.

BTW, Nalgene also made/makes HDPE bottles for lab use, which have been reported to contain BPA. The drinking bottles are made from food-grade HDPE which does not contain BPA.

BTW2: HDPE=high density polyethlene

Doug

Sorry Doug that I didn't answer your question sooner. The cracking problems were with linted green polycarbonate bottles. No cracking problems with older clear polycarbonate or the original HDPE bottles. I just recently purchased two new clear Nalgene liter bottles that are marketed as BPA free. I'll see how they hold up with hot water in winter. Thanks.

Chris

Sorry Doug that I didn't answer your question sooner. The cracking problems were with linted green polycarbonate bottles. No cracking problems with older clear polycarbonate or the original HDPE bottles. I just recently purchased two new clear Nalgene liter bottles that are marketed as BPA free. I'll see how they hold up with hot water in winter. Thanks.
HDPE gets brittle and cracks after 20 or 25 years. Haven't heard of any cracking problems with polycarbonate, clear or colored.

The new clear Nalgene bottles are Tritan.

All three constructions can handle boiling water*. See
http://www.eastman.com/company/news_center/news_archive/2007/english/product_news/071024c.htm
and
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/materials/index.html

* hot water increases the rate at which BPA leaches from polycarbonate.

Doug

I have change all my Bisphenol-A Nalgene bottles for HDPE.
In Canada if you have buy the Nalgene BPA bottles at MEC stores, They will reimburse you 100%, and you can buy new bottles, for free, BPA free. :)

Hey Kevin - interesting article, but as you'll see I commented there, it doesn't address the health risks of BPA, only that it is being leached by the bottle (an intersting note is that this study could have been done without using any animal models, human or otherwise - all they had to do was test the water from the bottles). It may actually be good news that so much was found in the urine, as it may simply indicate the body is rejecting it and passing it out...OTOH, BPA may indeed be harmful, but all this study showed was that the bottles leach it.

HDPE gets brittle and cracks after 20 or 25 years. Haven't heard of any cracking problems with polycarbonate, clear or colored.

Not mine. I have some HDPE bottles by Nalgene that have been in service since before 1974 (i.e., 35 years-plus) and remain flexible, watertight and quite usable.

My biggest gripe about the HDPE Nalgenes always has been that they will pick up and retain flavors from foods and beverages carried in them. Wyler's Lemonade mix was a major culprit once upon a time. My solution? Quit using it to flavor otherwise perfectly good plain water.

G.

Hey Kevin - interesting article, but as you'll see I commented there, it doesn't address the health risks of BPA, only that it is being leached by the bottle (an intersting note is that this study could have been done without using any animal models, human or otherwise - all they had to do was test the water from the bottles). It may actually be good news that so much was found in the urine, as it may simply indicate the body is rejecting it and passing it out...OTOH, BPA may indeed be harmful, but all this study showed was that the bottles leach it.
The study also was not double blinded--the subjects knew which kind of bottle they were using and thus might have altered their behavior in ways that affected the results.

Doug

I have heard that you need to put boiling or near-boiling water in the nalgenes to get the BPA to leach out of the plastic.

FWIW, I do like the indestructibility of the BPA ones and have been disappointed with the flimsier construction of the new nalgenes.

I have heard that you need to put boiling or near-boiling water in the nalgenes to get the BPA to leach out of the plastic.
The report that I have seen says that some BPA leaches into cold water, but more leaches into hot water. It was ambiguous as to whether the amount of BPA leached into cold water was increased after exposure to hot water.

Doug

I'm not overly concerned but, I'm still not sure whether my bottles are part of the BPA variety.
Nalgene with recycling symbol #7 pc.
I'm not going to buy a $20 Sig.
Dave G.

FWIW, I do like the indestructibility of the BPA ones and have been disappointed with the flimsier construction of the new nalgenes.

I put boiling water into my Nalgenes before every winter hike, so I bought 2 of the new ones.

I put boiling water into my Nalgenes before every winter hike, so I bought 2 of the new ones.
According to Nalgene (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/technical/materials/index.html), you can put boiling water in their HDPE or Tritan bottles. Temp ranges:
HDPE: -100C (-148F) to 120C (248F)
Tritan: -40C (-40F) to 100C (212F)

Their polycarbonate bottles are also rated to handle boiling water, but will leach fairly large amounts of BPA into the water.

Doug