Name yer Most Under-Rated Summit...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Im still a "young pup" to the hiking world, and I aint got many under my belt. But so far I think Cardigan was a great hike with beautiful views! Mt. Crawford is also one I was very pleased with.

As for the 48, Ill refrain due to lack of substantial experience. BUT! Many folks here dont seem to like Cannon very much. I guess Ill shock the crowd by saying I rather enjoyed it very much. The observation tower, busting at the seams with tram tourists, is a little disheartening, but the views from Cannon cliffs were utterly breathtaking IMHO!

Brian

Adirondacks:
Couchsachraga. A 3820' peak on a 4K list and on the far side of a swamp -- its bound to be under appreciated. I found the mossy forested summit to be quite attractive on an early, misty, and foggy morning.
Rocky Peak Ridge. Most of the 46er view ratings puts it in somewhere in the middle, probably because Giant blocks the view toward most of the other high peaks. Who cares? Giant is an awesome blockage, there are open views in all directions, and Lake Mary Louise is very attractive.
Giant's Nubble. I'll second Audrey's nomination. On fall foliage hikes on the Zander Scott (formerly Ridge) Trail I often stop both on the way up (views of the Great Range), and on the way down (views of Giant and the Washbowl).

Catskills:
Bearpen. Yes there are the muddy puddled ATV paths (more puddled than muddy). But there are wide open views, an endless supply of blackberries, wonderful gnarly trees, and if you come on a quiet weekday there is a good chance you will see a shy bruin.
Huntersfield. A rarely climbed 3423' mountain on the northern Long Path or via an old unmarked road on the southwest ridge. Very close to the summit there is a lean-to with a view.

South Turner Mountain gets my vote, too. One of my favorite photos shows my son at age four on top, fist raised, with a snowy Katahdin behind him.

Pyramid in the Adirondacks is supposed to have a great view, too, but I haven't seen it yet.

Most under-rated high peaks in the ADK's? Colvin and maybe Porter.

Most bang for the buck? ADK high peak: Cascade. Non high peak: I agree with Owl's Head but if you could drive the AMR road then I'd say Indian Head and Fishhwak Cliffs.

bang-for-buck(for views)...Middle Sugarloaf Mt, Caps Ridge, Mt Potash....

underrated... every trail that goes to a "viewless place" :) , Mt Parker, Mt Davis is wonderful because it is close to a very remote listed peak, Baldface Circle...

Last edited:
Best bang for the buck: Welch-Dickey

Most underrated:
Some of the peaks that come to mind are Avalon, Chocorua, Sandwich Dome ... it's tough to say because we all rave about so many!

And Vegematic ... it's because Doubletop is an evil mountain. Bob & Geri know what I mean. :)

Hedgehog has a lot to offer for very little effort.

i still don't get it. i say in all seriousness that (of the nh 48) owl's head is underrated. i sometimes think that i may have gone to the wrong place when i read others accounts and descriptions of their hikes to it. i got some pretty good views even from the (now disputed) summit. you just have to move around and stand on tiptoe and all. and the view from the slide is nice as well. in addition to it's charms is the fact that you can do it fairly quickly if you want. it's pretty flat for the most part til you get to the slide and you can run it if that is your thing.

why do so many folks be hatin' on da head?? i give it serious dap! :)

Not being as much of a peakbagger as some,I gotta say,Off the List,but worth the trek-Starr King in winter.
Actually I haven't been there any other time.

Just a few that, in my opinion, receive less attention than they deserve:

Crawford
East Royce
Tumbledown (the one near Weld, Maine)

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment that some miss out on Baxter Park by always focusing on Katahdin. After a few hikes up Katahdin, I stopped visiting the southern part of the park altogether. It wasn't until my nephew wanted to do the Knife Edge for his 8th birthday and we started an annual trip to Chimney Pond that Katahdin became a definate yearly hike for me. Some years I've hiked it 3-4 times, this year I probably won't hike it at all. There are many awesome spots in Baxter Park.
I like to keep up with the trails and campsites as they open and close so I can hit the new places - and then there are my favorites that I keep going back to...and places I haven't been yet...

Doubletop is one of my abosolute favorites in the park.

In BSP "bang for the buck" would be Burnt for me, similar to Willard in Whites, I also think the Howes are actually a better climb than Katadhin, with better northern views, the new Traveler loop is awesome, and Doubletop is my favorite hike in the park, from the South side. Good Luck and have fun!

I just did the Traveler loop last week. My favorite loop in the Northeast so far, and when I say Northeast I mean NY, NH, VT, ME, QC, NB, NS and Nfdl all at once! And yes, I'm including Katahdin... Let's talk about a not-yet-known summit (I should have done it before, in bushwack-era).

Other "less known" jewels (but internet could change that in a near future):

Jay range and Nundagao (NY), Hunger-Worcester (VT, well known locally only), Boundary Bald (ME, approach is dull but beautiful ridge walk), Doubletop indeed, Collins-Mattawee (Quebec, favorite spot of the guy who hiked from Florida to Gaspesia via the AT and IAT, then came back!), Jacques-Cartier-Xalibu traverse (Qc, Gaspesia), Groulx mtns (Qc, a remote 4 day backpack though, but what a backpack!).

On the usual lists but underated:

Goose Eye (as SK mentioned before), Grace (aka East Dix), Saddleback-The Horn, The Nubble, Santanoni in winter when there's enough snow to be higher than the scrub and get a long and beautifully open ridge walk.

I would say the Sugarloafs (cant remember which one of the two specifically). Great views of the Presidentials and the surround area. Its a short, relatively easy hike, with amazing views and a wide open summit.

Also, I think Mt Hight has some amazing views and is not on the 4k list. It offers tremendous bang for your buck as the views are out of this world, but...its not exactly a run up the Sugarloafs...

North Doublehead is another good one. I was up there several years ago in early December. My wife and I had lunch sitting on the rocks outside the cabin on the summit. Great views, the mountain to ourselves (the whole day) and a nice easy descent down the old ski trail...

Best bang for buck--Camel's Hump
Underated--Tableland at Katahdin; got to love anyplace that looks like Houses of the Holy cover.

Little Jackson is awesome. Lots of blueberries in August, great hike in winter. We met some people who had ATV'd in from another direction and hiked up (we never saw/heard the ATVs) we had a good laugh at how we'd each gotten there.

Bang for the buck; Black Cap off Hurricane Mtn. Rd.
Has a similar sweeping view as Kearsarge North but with half of the easy effort at that! Its all but bikeable!

Underrated; Goose Eye or even maybe Old Speck. Also Vermonts Monroe Skyline between Abe and Ellen. (Its fun to go Theres the Adirondacks left and the Presidentials right)

Really, someone could make a case for just about any mountain or trail. Its difficult to quantify what someone experiences even on a seemingly boring stretch in the woods or a crowded summit. If we didnt get that personal feeling or that certain insight, we wouldnt get up so early, buy a headlamp, endure bugs and spruce traps, eat gu, and certainly not post here!