Nausious post hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NumNum

Reaction score
I know this has been asked before, but i cannot remember when or who. Has anyone experienced after a hike, and i mean a couple hours after, slight nausiousness, feverish, uncontrolled shivering? I have had this happen twice, once from Colden, and once from Street and Nye, neither very high altitudes, I will be asking my doctor but was wondering if anyone else has experinced this. The next morning i am fine.

Sounds like all the symptoms of dehydration and over excertion. Are you drinking enough for the level of activity? Are you pushing yourself too hard? How fit are you? Best advice is see your doctor, since these symptoms can also be caused by other more serious heart problems.

Last edited:
A friend that I hike with frequently (usually?) goes into about 10min of shivering after eating at the resteraunt on the way home after a hike. She is a strong hiker, well hydrated, etc. We don't really know why (cold drink maybe?), but it just happens. Seems harmless in her case--just strange.

Doug

paul ron said:
Sounds like all the symptoms of dehydration and over excertion. Are you drinking enough for the level of activity? Are you pushing yourself too hard? How fit are you? Best advice is see your doctor, since these symptoms can also be caused by other more serious heart problems.

Paul, both times i was pushing fluids, no problem there, over exertion is a possibility, but i have pushed myself harder with no problems, i am fit so thats not an issue. thanks for your input.

DougPaul said:
A friend that I hike with frequently (usually?) goes into about 10min of shivering after eating at the resteraunt on the way home after a hike. She is a strong hiker, well hydrated, etc. We don't really know why (cold drink maybe?), but it just happens. Seems harmless in her case--just strange.

Doug
I dont know either, but will continue looking into, thanks Doug!

Any medical advice you get on a message board is worth what you pay for it. There are lots of knowledgable people on this board, but no one can do a medical diagnosis via the internet. I strongly recommend that if you are concerned about this problem that you see you doctor.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Any medical advice you get on a message board is worth what you pay for it. There are lots of knowledgable people on this board, but no one can do a medical diagnosis via the internet. I strongly recommend that if you are concerned about this problem that you see you doctor.
Mr. Metsky always says that, and he is always right.

When you see your doctor, don't forget to discuss any medications you may be taking. I once experienced symptoms similar to yours during a hike, and my doctor determined that it was caused by a side effect of my blood pressure medication. The medication was changed, and the problem never recurred.

And please don't discount it just 'cause he feels has has to say it as moderator; he's probably also confident in its truth. Everyone here can easily project his own experiences; we're all parts of sample-sets in tons of little experiments.

For my part, I'm hypoglycemic, which basically means I have a wild blood-sugar ride almost every day. I've found benefit in focusing on liquids volume and relative levels of varying sugar levels, which I categorize in speed/endurance order as:
  1. Hershey's [simple sugars]
  2. rice [complex carbs]
  3. protein/meat [long-term power]
  4. veggies [which are more about cleaning pipes in the short run].
These levels (plus liquids) will set the stage for how I'll feel at any given moment.

Also, hiking is like an all-day trip to the weight room. Would you sit on Nautilus machines and do stair-climber all day long? It really wears me out and I have to be very careful about food.

Once that's dealt with, however, I now have a level of control, and have made multi-day backpacking trips successful as a result.

Mayhaps your difficulty has a blood-sugar component.

Best wishes and happy trails,

--M.

I generally try to stay away from medical adivce questions but here goes a skinny from the top of my head. The above mentions of dehydration and overexertion surely can cause post hike nausea. As mentioned copious fluid intake is key. Another problem is that people generally get back to the car and eat something wholesome quickly, this can hit the stomach rather quickly which is not prepared for such food since it has been likely shunting blood to your exerting muscles. Exercise beyond your aerobic capacity...when your huffing and puffing, will result in build up of metabolites such as lactic acid in your blood and muscles which can make the body sore, crampy, and make you feel generally lousy. Best thing is to keep exercising daily so your body is primed and efficient at removing said toxins and always drink fluids and snack lightly more often than fewer larger meals. Lastly talk to you physician. Brian

As has already been stated, many causes could contribute to the symptoms that you describe. A cause should be identified so talking to your Doc makes sense. Symptoms always suggest a problem which could be trivial or significant.

Hypoglycemia, as has been stated in an earlier post, is one cause of symptoms such as you describe. We often are not as good about taking in calories toward the end of the hike....figuring we will eat after we are off the trail. This is a mistake since this is the time when we need calories the most. We should continue taking in calories all of the way to the end of the hike...and in fact we should continue eating even after the hike since the metabolic rate remains high and calories are still needed. If our blood sugar is low and we suddenly take a large quantity of food (especially fatty foods) we may briefly drop our blood sugar lower.

Just some thoughts to add to the discussion.

I have found that too much sugar/sweets (electolyte drink plus food) can give me a stomach ache. Eating something like a bagel can settle the ache.

Perhaps changing what you eat and drink might have some effect.

Doug

David Metsky said:

-dave-
Thanks everyone for the input, and Dave for stating the obvious. Perhaps i wasnt clear when i was asking if anyone has experienced this before. I was only looking to see if anyone had experienced this, my full intent is to speak with my doctor regarding this, but was looking to see if there was a common link that i could explain to my Doc. You have all provided some good info, and i thank you for your input. stay safe..

DougPaul said:
Frequently happens to me as well. It happens after a VERY tough physical exhertion... 12+ hours non-stop hiking, 40-50 miles XC skiing, 150+ miles cycling.. In my case, I've always assumed that the body is in 'recovering' mode, and other normal functions (temperature regulation) suffer while the body is giving priorities somewhere else.

I always went into shivering mode for a couple of hours after a hike but usually during the Winter Months. I however got the headaches, light-headedness, sick to my stomache feeling alot on any hike, any season. Eating something salty back at the car helped a great deal. In my case, it was dehydration.

I read all the replys and respond to each issue chronlogically. I am not a health practitioner - I am not a m.d. doctor. I have had a lot of these different metabolic problems while high exertion hiking- these responses are gleaned from direct experience. nausea is often due to improper hydration-during high exertion light nausea can signal the body needs to eat some nutrient - all avaliable fuel has burned--too little fluid shows up in urination as dark urine/ means not enough fluids -clear urine means too much hydration-- excess shivering can possibly cause nervous excess urination-- shivering after hiking and eating means the blood has rushed to stomach organ to digest food and body temp drops as a result--watch out for this winter hiking-- eat frequent small snacks so cold body or shivers don't create frostbite potential while digesting to big a meal - shivering can also be non food related-such as kundalini energy from base of spine being incorrectly oriented -this is an exotic idea-sexual/hypochondria- and concept not commonly encountered in normal trail hiking-medications can definately cause minor reactions-talk to a qualified doctor-too much caffine - alcohol at wrong time - antidepressants - a sensitive metabolic system will definately give out a message about these types of inflences - why not avoid this rotten crap altogether if possible?- hypoglycematics learn alot about the basics of metabolism just in order to surviv-- the idea of simple sugars/complex carbs/protiens/veggies is a foundation block for creating correct metabolism for any heavy exercise- the body runs on avaliable sugars for 2to3 hours into the exercise then switches to consumming any avalible fat -if no nutrients are eaten-the body will try to eat itself and any excess fat in order to find fuelto convert to glucose--your mind your muscle activity is powered by simplesugar/glucose the metabolism converts sugars or carbs into glucose for body to use- some carbs are simple some are complex-white sugarmolecules are very large and difficult to metaboilicallybreakdown-high fructose corn syrup is also difficult to convert in the digestion-these are in most american foods -watch out- fruit is fructose and is a simple sugar and is easy to break down to provide quick glucose for body energy[rasins dried apricots]if they dont cause diarrihea-carbs burn slower and offer sustained fuel but large meals of them will drop blood to stomach and cool the body temp--white flour is low quality food whole grains are much better for heavy exercise-rice is often best-billions of people on this planet eat rice as their daily food-fat is hardest to digest-recall that body will seek simple sugar to convert to glucose first-fat is a deeper level back up provider -treat it acordingly-lactic acid from over exertion is a key idea in rock climbing-- frequent pumping it up and recoiling-crank and relax is apattern predicated upon the body ability to eject lactic acid- I have also come across a more collegiate level duality concerning irritation in the exercising mucles between cortisol v.s insulin but this gets sort of advanced-likewise the ideas of natremia and kalemia are circulated conversation topics amongst hikers marathoners toomuch/too little salt or toomuch/toolittle pottassium -this very very key issue is what provides life to the body and the phenomenon is seen in road races where too much fluids are consumed then the body reacts adversly--basically the safe veggie food idea of sodium/celery, potassium/radishes,calcium/carrots works very reliablely-starting a 25 mile speed hike with lite snacks of fresh veggie pieces and monitoring fluid intake until mid hike when a balence betwen fruitpieces or complex carb nibbles can be introduced-late in hike the fattier/carb combo (buttercookies) will continue endurance level untill nd of marathon or hike -again monitoring fluid intake throughout trek oddessy--use of electolyte or power drink additives can be better than pure water-in winter pure water can rapidly disorient body-hot liquid can fortify the body -electrolyte suppliment replenish manditory need for sodium and pottasium ions in the body fluids -lower amounts of chlorine ion let the other two metabolise more efficiently under heavy exercise-minimising sodium chloride intake at key points on along hikehas been very good personally as long as the other three are provided for responsibily: potassium calcium sodium-however there are basic different body types and gentics can play a factor- I had a lot of sucess with eat right for your blood type [see the web site and the food encyclopedia but know your blood type to use this tool] -as soon as I started to eat only food that was specifically for my blood type during high mile treks I have had far fewer metabolic upsets-several times when first hiking I got sick as a frikkin' dog by eating the wrong stuff- yuh don't want to be sickly do yuh all now hun?--all best and safety first--- :cool:

These symptoms happened to me last fall coming down from Jefferson with my son.Two weeks before my wife had the same.I suspected my Camelbak because my wife was using mine at the time she felt sick.I disinfected my bag after this with the tablets the company sells.

So,check your water bottles and bags frequently.

Yes, this has happened to me, at alitude and when I have "overdoneit" on a summer hike. I am certain that the latter was due to overheating and not enough to drink. I know that I just do not do well in the heat and I have since learned not to go out and exert myself when the temperature get above a certain temp. :(

Be careful and take good care of yourself out there.

jfb said:
Sounds to me like the classic symptoms of bonking.
Very interesting, i ride bike for up to 36 miles at a time and never experienced this, albeit not like the tour de france, very interesting! TY!