NE113/NE115 ! Redington, Elephant, Spaulding 7/26-7/30/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Bookah and I joined friends, Audrey, Pat, and Leo for a week in the Rangeley area.
In the mid 80's, Bondcliff, Galehead, Redington and Spaulding were not on the NE111 list. At the time, I'd hit both Bondcliff and Galehead along the way to the NE111. When all 4 peaks were subsequently added to the list, Spaulding and Redington were hanging out there. After a 20+ year break, we'd have a chance to get back to Maine with good friends and a chance to snag the two remaining NE115 summits. We had a week of perfect weather - no bugs, no rain. There was a steady breeze off the lake most of the time, loons paddling offshore, moose along the roads, great views, lots of jokes and laughs, and even picked up a few more NEHHs. Pat and Audrey have been to all 3 peaks many times - so another thank you for being great guides!

I just converted over to Picasa and messed up the photo captioning:
The first two are on the way to Maine and first sunset(we were right on Mooselookmeguntic Lake).
The following day we drove and then hiked the Caribou Valley Road which is beautiful and climbs across a beautiful plateau before turning into an overgrown woods road on the way to Redington.
Next series is a whack of Elephant Mt - beginning with our saddling up at the car up on an old woods road, a carnivorous plant, and the whack to the summit. The elephant nose prosthetic looked like fun until getting a noseful of old mold! And we whacked near the largest moose poop dump I've ever seen. Must have been hundreds of times. Probably a moose wintering yard.
The last series of photos are Spauding, Bookah, and a night shot of a moose right next to the car. On the way home yesterday, we had a moose cow and twin calves 20' away on the side of the road but I couldn't get the camera out on time.
Its an understatement to say how much fun the week was and how appreciative I am for the invitation from good friends, Pat and Audrey....and Bookah and Leo got along wonderfully. After 2 weeks of being housebound when we were in Yosemite and Mammoth Lakes, Bookah was more than a little ready for some woods time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...1sRgCOHoxI6Mk4HUKg&invite=CLuzw74J&feat=email

I originally posted this in error on the other TR :eek::rolleyes:

Congrats and thanks for sharing the pix! The photo of Bookah perched on the big rock in the lake brought back lots of good memories of our first dog. He would stand on that rock all day, patiently or impatiently waiting for someone to throw a stick or tennis ball and then leap off the rock into the lake.

Hope our paths cross one of these days.....

Marty

I just realized that I'd neglected to thank Michael J for his driving/parking/route info for Elephant and Marty for his hospitality.
Thanks, guys.

PB

Great job....once a peakbagger always a peakbagger