Need help in choosing a new pack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripple

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new pack and have narrowed my choices to 3. The Mountainsmith- Ghost 04, Granite Gear -Vapor Trail, and the ULA -Fusion. Does anybody have any experience with any of these bags. I know the old style ghost had some issues. My base load is between 15-20lbs, which is below any of the max load rates, so that is not an issue. I would like to know about comfort, durability, pros cons etc etc. thank you in advance

My wife and I just bought new packs. She got a Vapor Trail and I got a Ghost. We took them up the Osseo Trail and camped Mon-Tues. We both loved our packs.

The Vapor Trail handled Megan's 25lb load with no problems. I had 22lbs. We both remarked that we forgot that we had packs on! We did some bushwhacking to find a backcountry campsite, and the bags held up perfectly. I would have been concerned if we had other lightweight packs made of thinner material.

The only problem I had was that ends of the u-shaped metal stay in the ghost dug in to my flanks toward the end of the trip, presumably because the pack was under-packed. I removed the metal stay when I got home. (It came out easily and is easy to replace.)

Also, if you're much skinnier than I (34 waist), then you might have problems with the hip belt adjustment. I had the straps at the ends of their adjustments.

I know this wasn't on your list, but I figured I'd just through this out there. I purchased an Osprey Aether 60 a couple of years ago and it has become my pack of choice for most trips. Just under 4000 ci, about 3 1/2 pounds and I have carried 40 pounds in it comfortably. The suspension in this pack is great at supporting the load. They also make a womens version of this pack, called the Ariel, I believe.