need help with dream trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchberry

Reaction score
Fellow VFFTers:
I am trying to help a friend plan his "dream trip," and he has several requirements--here are his ideas:

*Take group of people (ideally between 4-6 people ... just so you know the size group I'm talking about, 2 or 3 couples)
*Drive to spot where there is a decent size river and cool scenery
*Rent canoes and pack them with our hiking/camping gear
*Go "down river" for at least one day out and one day back (so you're spending at least one night out there in wilderness)
*Needs to be good place(s) to pull over for breakfast/lunch, hiking/cool scenery
*Nature nature nature ... no civilization, feeling of being out there by selves without crowds; occasional other people are okay just not mobs
*Can't be too cold
*Can't be too mosquito-y
*Would be looking for something of "medium difficultly." By that I mean physical exertion is required. I'm not looking for any "extreme challenges" (i.e. climbing rock faces, rope bridges over chasms) ... but challenging to take us away from the mass of humanity. Off the beaten path but not dangerous (doesn't require guides)
*I have friends who's idea of "pulling off" the river means finding a cabin/hut there with all the amenities (ick) .... so it wouldn't be the end of the world if the trip was setup with actual places to stay in the middle, but I'd prefer camping.

Do any of you have ideas that I can pass on to him? I am very familiar with the hiking opportunities in the northeast, but don't know very much about the rivers. So...Can anyone think of a place that fits his lengthy criteria? It doesn't have to be in the northeast if it is truly spectacular...In fact, I think he'd like to know about both places in the northeast (driving distance from Boston) and places accross the US. Also, when you suggest a place, could you also suggest the best time of year to go (for fewer bugs, etc.)? Thank you!!

I can think of 3 spots

The first would be a paddle the length of Long Lake in the Adirondacks. It is around 8 miles to the L/T at Plumley's landing You can then hike a bit on the Northville Placid Trail (about 8 miles R/T to the beautiful Cold River L/Ts)

Idea 2 is not really secluded, but fun - a paddle of the Fulton Chain of Lakes out of Old Forge - I do this as a day trip, but you could rent an island campsite (from the NYS DEC) for a night or two. The total one-way mileage is around 15 miles not counting 8th lake (you would paddle 1st through 7th) and there is a slight portage between 6th and 7th.
Idea 3 - a 2 day float down the Delaware River, Starting at Dingmans Ferry - you can camp overnight along the river in the Delaware National Forest and can also stash your canoes and hike up to the side trail to the AT and the AMC Camp Mohican or Catfish Firetower as a day trip.

You would want to spot cars, though down by Delaware Gap National Rec Area Office just east of the the I-80 Crossing of the river.
Cheers
Rick

Last edited:
Sounds like your classical quiet water trip. Lake Umbagog (NH-ME border) is one such destination. Plenty of tentsites but I don't think there are any cabins.

AMC has a series of books, I think they're called Quietwaters of such and such state that describe such trips. Maine is loaded with them and it's possible to design your own trip starting with the Delorme maps.

Traversing a chain of ponds and lakes, connected by rivers or streams, maybe with class I or II conditions, is a terrific adventure and, especially in Maine, there are some trips with the potential to stay at sporting cabins accessible only by boat, floatplane or snowmobile.

With the size of your party a car spot would seem quite feasible and that offers up a lot more opportunities. Who wants to paddle upstream anyway?

I have hiked along and wade fished many miles of the Greenbrier River in WV (outstanding smallmouth, some rainbows too). From Cass to the hatchery brook above Marlinton it is beautiful and fairly undeveloped. Not too bad below Marlinton either actually. There are also a few very nice state park campgrounds right along the shore where you can pull over and build a fire. I have often wanted to do a float trip all the way down from Cass to Watoga SP. You'd have to time your trip to coincide with the low, lazy, clear water of summer or early fall. Spring snowmelt would make it too wild and dangerous. Appalachian Sport in Marlinton would be the people to contact. :D

Last edited:
Bunchberry,

They made a movie about your friends dream trip, its called "Deliverance." :)

Last edited:
Not rivers, but I'd recommend either the St. Regis area in the Adirondacks or Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario. Lots of loop trips available and some great backcountry campsites. I'd avoid both during black fly season - Just after Labor Day is about perfect...

great ideas!

You all have proposed some great ideas...thanks! Now for a twist: can anyone think of a place to go (out of the northeast so it won't be too cold) for this same kind of trip during New England's fall/winter months?

And no, this trip is not going to go down the "Deliverance" path.... :)

bunchberry said:
...Now for a twist: can anyone think of a place to go (out of the northeast so it won't be too cold) for this same kind of trip during New England's fall/winter months?...:)
Buffalo River in Arkansas! Yes, I did say Arkansas... :eek:

The first thing that comes to mind in the northeast to me is the west branch of the penobscot in Maine. 20 miles of easy river and lake flatwater; right underneath and with towering views of katahdin. I would go out on limb here, and say you might see moose in that area too.

How can 1 night in the backcountry be a "dream trip" though?

Did a canoe trip in Maine a number of years ago which might fit your bill.
Three days, loops around to a take-out ~1.5mi from the put-in, lakes and easy streams, and small portage (depends on water level). If you do it in Aug or Sept, the bugs shouldn't be too bad.

* put in on the NW side Fourth Machias Lake (parking lot)
* down Forth Lake stream to Third Machias Lake
* camp near Getchell Lakes
* through Getchell Lakes
* stream to Wabassus Lake (possible portage depending on water level--we carried the gear and floated the empty canoe)
* through Wabassus Lake
* through culvert or portage across road to Pocumcus Lake
* through Pocumcus Lake
* camp at short stream connecting to Sysladobsis Lake
* short portage
* through Sysladobsis Lake
* take out near southern tip of Sysladobsis Lake
* walk 1.5 mi to get car

Camping permits were required. Primitive camping.
Originally from an unknown guidebook. This account from memory and Topo maps.

It was a nice leisurely trip in a woodsy setting. Saw a moose and calf on Fourth Lake Stream and loons on one of the lakes.

Doug

Here's Some More Maine Trips

Bunchberry, you've already got some excellent Maine canoe tripping suggestions. The ones below are meet some (but not all) of your selection criteria and can be researched in the Maine Delorme Gazeteer or the Maine AMC River Guide at your local library.

Debsconeag Lakes -- strictly a lake trip with several portages. Not heavily traveled but very scenic. Put-in is at the West Branch of the Penobscot's Debsconeag Deadwater.

Pine Stream/Chesuncook Lake -- put-in at Pine Stream Flowage and paddle 40 to 45 miles to Ripogenus Dam on Chesuncook Lake.

Bow Trip -- put-in at Attean Pond and paddle a 34-mile loop trip over to Holeb Pond (1+ mile portage) and down the Moose River back to the starting point. Very pretty part of Maine, but best not to run this 3-day trip on a holiday weekend.

St. Croix River -- the 33-mile section from Vanceboro to Kellyland can be easily run in 2 days. Water levels are usually reliable throughout the summer, but there are numerous easy class I and II rapids.

Sebois River (incl. E Branch, Penobscot River) -- perhaps a bit more of a whitewater challenge than the St. Croix, but still a fairly easy class II paddle. Not sure how much your group has paddled before, but the 25-mile section from the MFS campsite to Whetstone Falls is a great trip, but must be run early in the year.

BTW, not guarantees about the "too cold" or "too mosquito-y" parts! :)

Hope this helps,
Marshall

In the Adirondacks, Long Lake is nice but not remote (read: POWER boats) unless you continue north down the Racquette River toward Racquette Falls (there's that "Deliverance" theme again!).

Paddling up the Oswegatchie River from "Inlet" (near Wanakena/Cranberry Lake) is a beautiful excursion into the Five Ponds Wilderness area. You can paddle upstream to High Falls and camp at the lean-to, if available. There are hiking trails in the area. You can paddle downstream while returning to the cars, with no need to hire any of the locals to do a shuttle (cue the banjo).

Another nice trip is to access the Bog River near Tupper Lake, and paddle into Low's Lake. Lots of nice scenery and good camping there. You might see a float plane or two, but no power boats.

Near Upper Saranac Lake is the Fish Creek Ponds area. Although there is a large state campground there, you can avoid all of that by launching by the highway on Follensby Clear Pond. From there, you can paddle through a series of smaller ponds with several short carries. Many camping opportunities there, and you can loop through the area without any backtracking at all. Contact me if you want more details on any of this, or any other info on paddling in the Adirondacks (or Ontario's Algonquin park). -ALGonquin

Canoe trip in the Adirondacks

Here are my 3 favorites. But you have to know that to find the kind of solitude you want it will be unlikely that will will find a man-made cabin to sleep in. Also, as far as the North Woods are concerned- the weather can be changable and so can the biting critters.

These 2 paddles in NYS are all primative camping and flat water.

Lows Lake by the Bog River Flow. I like at least three days for this trip.

Little Tupper Lake. Camp at Rock Pond.

In NJ try The Pine Barrens.
The Mullica River is a nice overnighter- but go very early to avoid the crowds, like before Memorial Day. There is also The Bass River

Bunch did mention a low mosquito quotient... that kind of rules out Maine!

The Buffalo is good, esp. if you are looking to include hiking. Also, as Gris mentioned, WVA is hard to beat. Greenbrier should be doable year round. Another good one is the South Branch of the Potomac, if you are comfortable with moderate white water. Upper section, which could be done in a day, is quite remote, but normally does not have enough water in the summer.

lake umbagog

Stan said:
Sounds like your classical quiet water trip. Lake Umbagog (NH-ME border) is one such destination. Plenty of tentsites but I don't think there are any cabins.

AMC has a series of books, I think they're called Quietwaters of such and such state that describe such trips. Maine is loaded with them and it's possible to design your own trip starting with the Delorme maps.

Traversing a chain of ponds and lakes, connected by rivers or streams, maybe with class I or II conditions, is a terrific adventure and, especially in Maine, there are some trips with the potential to stay at sporting cabins accessible only by boat, floatplane or snowmobile.

With the size of your party a car spot would seem quite feasible and that offers up a lot more opportunities. Who wants to paddle upstream anyway?
lake ombagog was my first guess. though Im not sure about any established hiking trails(bushwack anyone?)