Nettles on North Dome & Sherrill?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kmorgan said:
Anyone been up North Dome and Sherrill recently? I was wondering if the nettles are prohibitive yet.
It depends on what you are wearing! :D There are definitely nettles in the Cats now, but exactly how many are up there I can't tell you. Just bring long pants, and get an early start so you will stay cooler...

Jewelweed helps greatly. It's a lobed leaf with an orange and yellow flower that grows in and among the Nettles. One year I applied it to my bare legs and was fine for an hour as I hiked thru the nets.

Moose

Nettles are the worst!
The worst experience I had with them was actually on North Dome...heading up the steep, east side in August a few years back. HORRIBLE!!! And they were horrible on the way down Sherrill as well. All over!!!
Wait till winter.

moose_mckenzie said:
Jewelweed helps greatly. It's a lobed leaf with an orange and yellow flower that grows in and among the Nettles. One year I applied it to my bare legs and was fine for an hour as I hiked thru the nets.

Moose

Interesting. I've used Jewelweed "juice" to treat the sting, but never thought to use it beforehand as a preventive. Thanks Moose.

Matt

halia and flammeus said:
I don't know if North Dome is worse than Rusk, but this past weekend on Rusk nettles were approx 12 inches high. We could step around them or over them for the most part. But get out there quick - I think they were taller on the way down than on the way up! :D

Last year on Rusk I tripped over a hidden vine and fell into a sea of nettles. Won't forget that one! :mad:

There are acres of Nettles on certain area of ND. Its hot, but wearing wind or rain pants really mitigates the stings. Especially if you use the full side zip ones so you can slip them on and off.

The first time I ascended Rusk I was wearing a pair of thick nylon hiking pants. The nettles stung thru them. Upon descent, I encountered a DEC Forest Ranger; we were making small talk and he inquired about the state of the nettles.

"Waist deep in places." I said.
"There's a great remedy, a small plant called Jewelweed."

He proceeded to describe it as an antidote for the stinging. He then walked into the woods and came out holding nettles leaves in his bare hands. My eyes widened in disbelief.

"Here, take these." He held his hand. I cringed as I reached for a leaf or two.
"Go ahead, crush them in your hands." I did as instructed, then I waited. The stinging sensation grew stronger. What did I get myself into?

Based upon my grimace, he handed over this shriveled plant.

"Rub it on your hands."
I did as instructed. AMAZING. Within seconds the antidote worked.

Forest Ranger led me to a nettles stand and pointed out the jewelweed; it hadn't flowered yet and I made note of its shape. Now, whenever I go into the woods where nettles are present, I search for jewelweed, apply it to my exposed skin and bushwhack to my hearts content.

We even have nettles in the Adirondacks, believe it or not. And Jewelweed, too.

Moose

Peakbagr said:
There are acres of Nettles on certain area of ND. Its hot, but wearing wind or rain pants really mitigates the stings. Especially if you use the full side zip ones so you can slip them on and off.

Trust me - you could go up there, NAKED and BAREFOOT with jewelweed rubbed all over thy body - and you won't feel a sting, at least not a chemical sting!!

Gee, I wish it worked for Lyme's disease........

Moose

moose_mckenzie said:
Trust me - you could go up there, NAKED and BAREFOOT with jewelweed rubbed all over thy body - ......

Don't be giving Neil any ideas! :eek: :p :D

moose_mckenzie said:
Gee, I wish it worked for Lyme's disease........
Jewelweed also helps a bit with poison ivy. The problem of course: nettles give you an instant sensation that you have brushed them, poison ivy not so much.

It is interesting that jewelweed always seems to grow near nettles and often near poison ivy. While I don't have any nettles on my property, I do have poison ivy. Sure enough there is a patch of jewelweed nearby along a small stream. Jewelweed often grows along streams and in damp areas (which is also prime habitat for a sea of nettles).

When I ascend ND, I usually go via the north ridge, by way of the trail - go about a half mile and gain the ridge, quickly; the sooner one accesses it, the easier the cliff band.

With regard to Sherrill, I have only ascended it in fall and winter, so I'm unfamilier with nettles from Rte 42. Same hold true for Halcott, notorious for nettles. I might be willing to lead both hikes in July / August, if anyone is interested. I have lots of free time, despite my busy schedule.

Moose

I climbed ND/Sherrill and then Halcott yesterday. I approached North Dome from the Devils Path. The nettles were pretty bad, but using jewelweed did help, and there was plenty to be found. When the yellow flowers come out later in the summer, it will be even easier to spot. I eventually climbed above both the nettles and jewelweed. I expected more nettles in the col, but it wasn't really bad at all.

After this, I drove to 42 and hiked Halcott from the usual approach. The nettles were worse than on North Dome, plus I was fatigued, so I had to climb through them slower. The ridge going over to Halcott is a jungle of ferns and blackberry brambles, very difficult to see footing in many places. Lots of young striped maple on which to get hung up, and the ubiquitous beech-those were actually a relief since their shade keeps the forest floor a little more clear. I went back the way I came, but descended off the ridge a little further south than the place I had come up, and got into a field of nettles that seemed just endless. It was in a drainage area, close to the stream that forms the little waterfall by the parking area.

Anyone climbing these peaks this time of year, pick a reasonably cool day, give yourself plenty of time and choose your route carefully.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Didn't you just climb Halcott recently? Oh, wait a minute ..... it's summer now .... so this was probably for your summer round ....... correct? Thanks for the heads up regarding the conditions. I need Halcott (and 2 others) to finish the list, but am planning to wait until fall or winter. Anyway, good luck in your continuing quest for the 4-season! Hope to join you for a couple of hikes along the way. :)

Rob

Hobbes said:
Hi Matt,

Didn't you just climb Halcott recently? Oh, wait a minute ..... it's summer now .... so this was probably for your summer round ....... correct? Thanks for the heads up regarding the conditions. I need Halcott (and 2 others) to finish the list, but am planning to wait until fall or winter. Anyway, good luck in your continuing quest for the 4-season! Hope to join you for a couple of hikes along the way. :)

Rob

Yes, you figured it out, I need my head examined. For normal (or at least less weird) people that only want to climb Halcott once, fall or winter would definitely make more sense.

Matt

MattC said:
Yes, you figured it out, I need my head examined. For normal (or at least less weird) people that only want to climb Halcott once, fall or winter would definitely make more sense.

On the contrary, you are doing what you love. I can only hope to hike as much once I get my life back. And I'll tell you this - - - if I lived in New Paltz, I'd be joining you on most of these hikes! :D

Gee Matt, the next thing you know you may be working on the 420 grid.I remember climbing Sherrill and North Dome ,and Halcott3 months in a row with lots of nettles and picker bushes.I used to come home bloody and bruised,and Maddy would say did you have a nice vacation day , dear. :eek:

Last edited: