New York AT Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the conditions are like on the New York section of the AT right now? We are thinking of hiking the AT from CT to NJ during April school vacation 4/19-4/26 and are particularly concerned about ice/snow. Any current info. would be appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on a cheap and reliable way to get back to the Wingdale NY AT parking lot (at the CT state line) from NJ would be helpful. Greenwood Lake Taxi = $150!

wardsgirl said:
Does anyone know what the conditions are like on the New York section of the AT right now? We are thinking of hiking the AT from CT to NJ during April school vacation 4/19-4/26 and are particularly concerned about ice/snow. Any current info. would be appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on a cheap and reliable way to get back to the Wingdale NY AT parking lot (at the CT state line) from NJ would be helpful. Greenwood Lake Taxi = $150!
No knowledge of conditions.

For getting back to the car: public transit via NYC. There are numerous busses going through north Jersey from NYC. The NYNJTC maps and books often will have this information. From NYC you can get back out on Metro North RR to several stations within a taxi ride of the NY-CT line.

I've been down to the lower Hudson Valley a few times recently and there was basically no snow to be seen, although I suppose its possible there is still some ice in shaded spots. With temperatures in the sixties predicted for later this week, I would guess these will be gone soon.

I can't imagine you'd have a problem.

Mud now, no ice or snow. The next 10 days look damp, but not the soaking we've had recently. Check back closer to the date.

Travel from NJ to Windale probably requires NJ to Penn Station, NY then a hike north in Manhattan to Grand Central Station and a train to Wingdale.

Chip said:
Travel from NJ to Windale probably requires NJ to Penn Station, NY then a hike north in Manhattan to Grand Central Station and a train to Wingdale.
There are more bus routes than train routes from NJ. They go to a variety of stops. Route 17/Thruway at Arden Road is one popular bus stop for hikers. A bus will get you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal 41st & Eighth.

In either case it's a short walk over to Grand Central for the trains up the Harlem Valley.

Check schedules and prices for everything on the net.

yup, you wont find any snow on any of the AT in NJ or NY now, the only snow i've seen is at elevation in the catskills, which the AT doesn't go through...

As far as a shuttle from greenwood lake to the NY/CT border.... Bus would be the only way from greenwood lake, and like the rest mentions, it may be through Port Authority NYC, which would be a hub.

Having said that, Greenwood lake is not far from me. If you can tell me (email or PM) when you are going to be there, I could perhaps give you guys a lift to a bus stop that goes right to NYC. I live not far south of Greenwood Lake and I'm familiar with the AT where it crosses NY/NJ right by Greenwood lake. Let me know...

Papa Bear knows the bus and train routes much more than I (I drive!) and I know the bus stop on rt 17 by arden road that he mentions, it is right by the AT (Agony Grind) and just after you leave Harriman State Park and just before going into Sterling Forest. I could give you a shuttle back there if you want... it's not terribly far from Greenwood Lake either.

Jay

Doesn't the Metro North Harlem Valley line still have the Appalachian trail stop? When they did, it was weekends only, and I believe you had to tell the conductor to stop there.

I went by on Route 22 last weekend, but was distracted and did not see the station. Instead I saw a large parking lane like the one in near Lee, Mass or Otis AT crossing.