No longer charging for some trailhead parking.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I noticed recently that both “The Eddy” and the “Smarts Brook” trailhead no longer require a parking permit. There is a large sticker covering the green envelope canister saying that this is no longer a fee spot. Has the parking permit policy changed recently? Are there other areas that no longer charge as well?

A few years back a whole bunch of trail heads were dropped from the fee program. I don't know if these two were in that group or if the FS is doing a new round of trail head fee removals.

Pine Link on Dolley Copp road has the cannister out of service. It doesnt meet the criteria for charging for parking (as do many of the ones that still require a permit), so I suspect its just a way of redirecting what enforcement resources they have to hihg volume lots like Welch Dickey.

A few years back a whole bunch of trail heads were dropped from the fee program. I don't know if these two were in that group or if the FS is doing a new round of trail head fee removals.

There's a whole new round, Garfield trailhead for instance

I would have been happy if they patrolled 19 Mile more as it's had a problem with vandalism in the past, if I recall so did Garfield. (Disclosure: I'm staying at Carter Notch Hut soon)

Wonder if patrolling for fee violations perhaps raises legal issues if people ask why don't you moniter for crimes occurring in these lots other than paying the fee.

I am quite surprised with 19 Mile brook, it was on state land and had no ammenities yet it was such a popular spot that the WMNF kept the fee area in place as it had high turnover. I will have to check it out as for the last few winters the fee was not collected during the witner then reinstated in the spring. There is or was an attempt to cluster 19MBT with Great Gulf, similiar to some of the parking lots on the Kanc (Champney Falls is a fee area yet the facilties are located at another spot).

With respect to patrolling 19MB trailhead, at best the only patroling is drive bys by state and local law enforcement. I expect Great Gulf has far fewer visits and in general is more break in prone due to its seclusion although 19MB is better for smash and grab as on a quiet night its easy to hear cars coming. Realistically if someone is making a "career" out of break ins like seems to happen every few years, the only way they get caught is a lot of surveilance or good luck like the the stolen Iphone with a tracking ap leading the police to the perps house.

I just noticed and was wondering the same thing this past weekend when I did Sandwich Dome, parking at the Sandwich Mtn Tr/Drakes Brook Trailhead.

Same thing with the large sticker covering it.

I was like "Scchhhwweeeeeeeet"

Next they will be leaving us gas money for making the trip.

So if you are a member of the AMC do you not have to pay the day use fee? We just continue to pay it because we don't know the rule on members

These are USFS (Forest Service) fees. AMC membership isn't relevant.

The Osceola Trailhead on Tripoli Road also had the pay station blocked off last weekend (big sign covering the drop slot saying "no fee".

Interestingly, there were also two porta potties at the trailhead, which I don't recall being there before.

There was a lawsuit in California over the fees. Apparently someone had a problem paying the $3.00 recreation fee without amenities included. That person won the suit so now with a few exceptions many trail heads will not require a fee. According to what I heard the trailhead must have 6 amenities. I don't remember them all but some were parking, restrooms, information and security. There are some exceptions along the Kanc and other spots, not sure specifically where.

The Osceola Trailhead on Tripoli Road also had the pay station blocked off last weekend (big sign covering the drop slot saying "no fee".

Interestingly, there were also two porta potties at the trailhead, which I don't recall being there before.

Osceola needed the porta potties, last time I was there, some folks had left a fair amount of TP just in the woods near the parking lot.

Thanks Garry for the update.

Moat Mountain Trail
Dugway Road: pay stations covered up
Diana's Bath: payment or sticker required

I am quite surprised with 19 Mile brook, it was on state land and had no ammenities yet it was such a popular spot that the WMNF kept the fee area in place as it had high turnover. I will have to check it out as for the last few winters the fee was not collected during the witner then reinstated in the spring.

As of 5/27/12--19 Mile Brook not free.

Any North Country resident outraged enough to put in a little time on a project?
* Go to registry of deeds and find out where highway right-of-way is
* Go to DOT district office to see old construction plans to find out where highway right-of-way is
-or-
* Look in woods at trailhead for highway boundary markers

If trailhead is owned by state, the fees are illegal regardless of whether amenities are provided. If providing r-o-w info to the WMNF district ranger is not sufficient to get the fee removed, a class action suit in Federal District Court for refund of all parking fees ever collected at that site might get their attention - and I can arrange for that.

North Twin Trailhead (Haystack Rd) "no fee"

Iron ranger covered over, w/sign saying no fee required, and the big sign demanding a fee taken down. (sign posts/backboard still there, but all the signage removed)