North Forest Canoe Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
Has anyone paddle the portion of this trail that goes trhough Maine? I am looking to paddle in ME this summer and would appreciate any input.

The Rangely Area map, # 8 I believe, has lots of good lake paddles and remote campsites. The trail traverses Lake Umbagog where there are also remote campsites. The Magalloway River, shown on the same map, is worth a couple days of exploring.

Their last map concludes with the Allagash River - the classic (long before the NFCT) 50+-mile stretch from Churchill Dam to the St. John. If you're looking at doing a lot of paddling in Maine, there would be a strong argument for saving this, as a culmination. If you have three days and aren't sure you'll be Down East again any time soon, I think this would be your best choice. The NFCT map is the best I've seen, showing all the current campsites (as of May 2006).

The Mattawamkeag, not on the NFCT grid, is a very interesting three-day paddle, starting not too far south of Houlton (near the border with Nova Scotia). If ends with some fairly hairy (at least if you're in a loaded camping canoe) whitewater, in M'keag Wilderness Park, a little before where the M'keag joins the Penobscot.