Northeast 111/115 & AMC poll

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who should run the 111/115ers

• AMC should now run the 111/115ers

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Club Members should run 111/115ers

Votes: 43 91.5%

• Total voters
ken said:
look closer... i am seperating the questions from the answers (since there are so many questions) - not shouting in bold.
Ken, consider using the quote function. It's much easier to read.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I never sent in for any of the patches, but if you are trying to get the hiking public on your side it might be better to take a less confrontational approach. Just my $.02.

-dave-

Ken, consider using the quote function. It's much easier to read.
the colors are cute too

if you are trying to get the hiking public on your side it might be better to take a less confrontational approach.
not really looking to be confrontational - just answering questions - there is some misunderstanding out there as to who is in charge of what

Last edited:
First, the AMC 4000 Footer Committee is officially a part of the AMC. There are 9 members who vote to elect their successors, and all are required to be AMC members. This was reasonable when they only handled New England lists.

Second, I didn't vote because I'm note sure what anybody wants. One guy seems to just want to get his patch faster, if that is all he really cares about he can get a knockoff made in China or get a friend who is already a member to order an extra so he can sew it on as soon as he finishes. This doesn't seem to be a good reason to change things.

Someone else wants the 111 to be a real club, with newsletter, website, etc. If this is what you want, I suggest you start it and once it is up and running I'm sure the AMC would hand over the task. As mentioned, the Highpointers Club was founded by a truck driver with no particular organizational skills. If they prove recalcitrant, you can issue your own patches :)

>>One guy seems to just want to get his patch faster, if that is all he really cares about he can get a knockoff made in China<<
roy
i think a speedy response is a very important courtesy after someone has worked to climb 115 mountains from the list
i do not want to get my patch quicker - i already have a supply - no one had any trouble with the 111 patch while priscilla was running it, they came in 2 weeks (the patches with the trouble were the 3 "new england" 4000' patches) - everyone that i knew was wondering about "that guy" in charge of the 4000' club, they send in thier lists and wonder "did they get lost in the mail, did he die, did he lose it?" - - - i was providing the service of "lending" the patches to those that i know finished the new england lists when they got tired of waiting with the condition that they replace mine when they get thiers - - - along came april 2004 and priscilla's retirement - i stocked up on 111er patches and even today am sending one to a friend in quebec that has finished his 115 and is still waiting for his patch - - - the reason i volunteered to take over is that i wasn't happy with my long wait when i finished my new england peaks, with priscilla retiring i saw this coming (and as of may 2004 it has come) - i think a speedy response is a very important courtesy after someone has worked to climb 115 mountains from the list - why should something that is the most enjoyable thing that they ever did (very enjoyable for me) turn sour from the long wait (for three patches if they finish in new england, or if they finish in new york they may still be waiting for thier new hampshire 48 and new england 67 patches after they get thier 46er patch) i have seen too many people disappointed to let it get worse (from 2 to 3).
This doesn't seem to be a good reason to change things.
don't really want to change things - that is how this poll got started (from another thread about the address change) by handing it over to the AMC things have changed quite a bit - i would like to see it kept the way it was until may 2004 before priscilla retired (pre AMC).

Last edited:
Not bad ideas, Roy, but I don't think it is in anyone's best interest to have a divided Club even for a short time. It's small enough as it is. Also, with a family, home, career, and my own hiking interests, I'm not exactly overflowing with free time. Believe it or not, Ken and I could work well together and Gene is already in the picture. That's AT LEAST 3 guys for one club rather than one committee for four clubs. Also, maineguy has expressed interest. I'm not about to volunteer for more than I'd be willing or able to handle. I know I could find time to do a newsletter but I have highly limited computer knowledge with no idea how to do a website (I was proud of myself when I figured out how to do links). That's why I'm talking up the inclusive approach. Hop aboard 111ers and aspiring 111ers ... this could be a good thing.

Anyway, I think I've yacked about this enough. I'm going to work on a letter and send it off to Gene when the time is right.

Last edited:
Ken - I'd contact Gene directly and offer your services. A little new blood wouldn't hurt. I know you offered before the move was made, but there is nothing preventing you from pursuing it. I can't think of many volunteer organizations that turn away volunteers.

The Catskill 3500 Club didn't change its name when SW Hunter was added, making it 35 peaks and not 34.

The Adirodack 46ers organization was named for the 46 peaks originally thought to be 4,000'.

There is a tradition to the the NE 111 Club. As peaks or bumps are discovered to be higher or lower, the continuity remains.

The Catskill 3500 Club didn't change its name when SW Hunter was added, making it 35 peaks and not 34.

they wouldn't have to since the "3500" has nothing to do with the number of peaks - the 3500 feet would still stand even if sea level rose and there were now 10 3500' peaks in the catskills - it would still be the catskill 3500 club - - - - maybe we should call the 111ers the northeast 4000 footer club (not to be confused with the AMC 4000 footer club) - then they could add or subtract all they want (with global warming, when the ice cap melts we will lose some peaks as the seas rise).

If somebody else is going to take over, how about updating the name and patch to 115?
Ironically, the number of peaks at or above 4000 feet on the list is 111.
if we leave it at 111 because the number is really 111 then why do we have to climb 115?

because the 111ers do not have rules for a peak to qualify but follow the rules of the other 2 clubs that decide which peaks qualify (these clubs are the adirondack 46ers and the AMC 4000 footer committee) - the reason the count changed is because in the 90's the AMC 4000 footer comittee decided that 4 more new england peaks qualified as 4000 footers (to be a new england 4000 footer member you have to climb more peaks than those before you) - while the 46ers do not change thier count as surveys change (every 46er does the same peaks to qualify no matter what year they finish) maybe that is why there is just "4000" on new england patches (so they don't have to make new ones every time they find new peaks that qualify) - and since the 46ers are called the 46ers what would they do if they added & subtracted, change thier name & patch every time???

at the catskill gathering there were plenty of rumors of a new style 111er patch in the works, but no one could say what it looks like - if roumors are true - maybe instead of saying "111 4000" it may now say "AMC 4000" in our little blue triangle (like the other AMC patches) - we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Jeesh!

You could just forget the freakin’ patches and certificates and lists and go out and climb the mountains you want to climb rather than the ones you “need to do.” The mountains probably don’t care much about which lists they qualify for, and life would be so much simpler.

Exchanges like this start to get pretty silly (inane) after a while. Like prattling among obsessive people who really haven’t much to do in their lives.

G.

I don't think this thread is any sillier or inane than most of the threads. For those of us who are close to "qualifying" for this patch the discussion is interesting.

These threads have titles so people can skip those they are not interested in.

climb the mountains you want to climb rather than the ones you “need / life would be so much simpler
the ones you "want" may be the same as the ones that you "need' (if you "want" the patch and certificate) - then how will you know what you want & need without the list? - - - - life is still simple, these lists aren't very complicated - the complicated part is trying to figure the best way to do it so you can bag the most peaks in one weekend.

Peakbagr said:
Holy Cow ! I finally agree with Grumpy on something! ;)
Never fear. It probably isn't the start of a trend.

G. ;)

By all means climb the mountains you want avoid following lists. Now that I have the 46/111 N-P, New England AT and 46r trail work patches with rockers, I can say that. Imagine the feeling when I climbed my first hill in the Cascades and saw what appeared to be a never ending rows upon rows of peaks. I contacted the Washington Trails Association to discover they have NO List!. There are countless awesome peaks 6,7,8,9,10 thousand feet and above without a list! What is a self respecting patch hogging peak bagger going to do with no list? We are left to wander climbing what looks good but without a patch to impress anyone. In the last twelve years on two week vacations my buddy and I reached 220 peaks over 6,000 feet. We predict we will run out before making a serious dent in all we see. Most all of these have been in the South Cascades the Olympics are yet untouched. Check out the W.T.A. site they have a lot of interesting suff there. http://www.wta.org/ All of this is just tongue in cheek of course. The list are a badge of achievement that all should be proud of. But there is something to say about not having a list as well. Some real good hills are here in the east and havn't made any lists.

raymond said:
Well, I heard back from Gene ...... when I sent my application to Priscilla Robertson, she forwarded it to Gene, but I still don't know what the fee is.
He didn't tell me what the fee is, but pointed out that I'd have to be accepted in the New England Four Thousand Footer Club before I could be accepted into the 111ers of the Northeastern United States.
well... here it is - the first change after the 4000 footer comittee took over the northeast 111ers - - - in the past priscilla robertson did not wait to see if the 4000 footer comittee approved you first - in 2 weeks you had your congratulations letter and patch - i was hoping to keep it that way when i heard that priscilla was retireing, but it wasn't meant to be - - now you have to be approved by one club to enter the other $5 for n.h. 48, $5 for n.eng. 67 then you can get your northeast 111 for $5 more - oh and $8 for n.y., (but from the 46ers you do get a couple of thier magazines in the mail during the year for your membership fee).

Last edited: