Not Your Average Dix Hike and a 46R Finish, August 14, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKdremn

Reaction score
THE HIKE

I've been anticipating this day for years. On Saturday the day finally arrived. I got spend the weekend with my good buddies Adam and Seth at the Loj and on Saturday we made the drive over to the Round Pond trailhead. Dix loomed over 73 on the drive through Keene Valley, looking so close, yet so far away. We pulled in and were on the trail a little before 8. Just the three of us like many other hikes we've been on together. I first met them through the forums on a hike of the Sewards back 2006. It was a great morning, sun was shining and a light breeze blowing. Round Pond was a beautiful spot early on along the trail. I was fortunate enough to spend some time out in front by myself and relive the past 10 years of High Peaks hiking. At the same time I was wondering why the heck Adam was so slow. I mean, I know he's slow, but this was a little ridiculous. Seth and I took a break to wait up for him and could hear him chatting it up with someone....so typical of Adam. Seth has nicknamed him "the ambassador of the High Peaks" due to all his talking. Much to my surprise it was Tyler, ADK88, who had come to surprise me for my finish. Great surprise as it was a pleasure to have him along. This also explained Adam being extra slow....not that Tyler would have had a problem catching up to us though!
The day was getting pretty warm and it was a relief to arrive at the lean-to and cool off with some of that cool Adirondack mountain brook water!

Before we knew it we were on the slide. This is where things got fun. I had really wanted to make my finish interesting. I had briefly, very briefly, done some research on Dix's slides. I didn't get a whole lot of info so I just kind of put that idea on the backburner. But once we were on that slide we just kept looking at all the possibilities of getting up this mountain. We kept asking each other, "how far up there can we follow this slide...or that slide?" I think I was the first to officially throw the idea out there of "Hey, let's just do it. What do you think?" Tyler quickly chimed in with a "sure!" He's pretty easy to convince on adventure I think! Adam said he'd do whatever and Seth just gave us all a look of "are you sure?" Out came the map (thanks Tyler), out came the compass (thanks Andy) and we made a plan. We followed what is called "The Middle Slide", according to the Slide Climbing book up to a rocky outcropping along the summit ridge. All I can say is, WOW, what a great decision! We were out in the open all day and had views the entire time that just kept getting better and better! It was amazing....way better than the trail! It was steep and there was lots of fun sections and features to check out all along the way. We finally reached the end of the slide, where there were a few tricky sections and then got to push our way through the scrub to the summit ridge. We came out on an amazing rock outcropping that had amazing views and gave us a great look at the true summit. It also gave us a great look at what we had to do to get there. We did take a nice long break there as it was too nice of a spot to just leave. Tyler managed to find a faint herd path and it was actually fairly open at first. Things did get tighter and there were some tricky sections here and there, but as far as bushwacking goes, this definitely wasn't the worst spot. Before we knew it we popped out right on the trail just short of the summit.

Seth, Adam and Tyler all took off ahead of me to meet me on the summit and take pictures. I made the walk up taking everything in. I'm not sure I've ever smiled so big in my life. I had done it! I was finally standing atop my 46th High Peak after 10 years of hard work. There was also another surprise visitor waiting for us on top. Adirobdack46er, Robert, who I had hiked the Santanonis with twice this past winter. He greeted me with a 46r patch handshake and a big hug! I was so fortunate to have these great guys join me on this hike! It was truely memorarble way to finish this grand adventure. We spent a lot of time on top and took the stroll over to the Beckhorn. Luckily, while we were on the Beckhorn the summit cleared out and we were able to enjoy it all to ourselves before heading down. What a great peak to finish on, where I could look out and see so many peaks and recall different memories from each one. Before I knew it we had to leave. At least I had the Pub to look forward to! The trip down wasn't too exciting...especially after the ascent up the slide! I kept saying how I was so glad we did the slide because that trail up is really steep and didn't look like a whole lot of fun!

Great day guys! Thanks so much for being part of it and the patches and stickers and everything. I couldn't have had a better group of guys join me and make this day so memorable.

THE JOURNEY

What an amazing 10 years it has been! I fell in love with the Adirondacks back in 1998 when friends of ours moved to Olmstedville. We made what was supposed to be a 6 hour drive turned into ten hours because of a snowstorm from Pennsylvania all the way to there house. I was instantly hooked on this beautiful area. On a summer visit they took us to Lake Placid and all I saw were mountains. Mountains everywhere. I knew I needed to learn more about this area. It was perfect! In 2000 I convinced two friends from work to join me on a camping trip to Heart Lake. We climbed Marcy on September 9, 2000. I was instantly hooked. It didn't matter that I didn't see a thing all day. We walked through Marcy Dam in the thickest fog you could imagine. I didn't even know there were supposed to be views. I had no idea what I was even doing, other than going for a long walk. I had jeans and sneaker and a hoodie sweatshirt like so many others do on there first hike. I was hooked, although I still had no idea about the 46. One year later I vacationed at Heart Lake again with my wife and then 20 month old daughter. We climbed Algonquin. My poor wife had no idea what I was getting her into! Let alone me, backpacking a 20 month old up that mountain! That night we celebrated at the Adirondack Steak and Seafood Company in Lake Placid. It was here where I learned of the 46R because they serve some 46 oz steak in honor of the 46RS! I didn't climb another mountain again until 2005 when I did Cascade with my wife and daughter, who was now 5and my 2 year old son. Somewhere along the line I discovered these amazing forums and by 2006 got serious about becoming a 46R. It was something I never thought I would be able to accomplish. For some, this is just a bump in the road on the way to bigger and better things. For me there is no bigger and better. Are there other places I want to see? Sure. But, the Adirondacks overwhelm me. If I never make it to Colorado, or never get to see the big mountains of this world....I'm fine with that. Some people just do the 46 because, "hey why not?" For me, this is an accomplishment of a lifetime. Probably, the biggest accomplishment of my life.
I've met so many great people through these forums, learned so much, and made memories that will last a lifetime. It does not get any better! Thanks to all of you, and I hope our paths will cross soon! To all the aspiring 46R's out there....YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Keep it up, work hard and good luck to you all! It will be worth every ounce of sweat and every sore muscle you think will never feel the same!
PICTURES:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=77855&id=1478183490&l=8f015ebb22

One other side note.....
You know you've accomplished something huge when you're 10 year old and seven year old tell you that they are proud of you. Take a minute to think about that. Have you ever told your parents you're proud of them? I know I haven't.
I got home to a sign on my door they made that said " a 46r lives here". Plus card and pictures they made for me as well as a cake from my wife. I didn't cry on the mountain, although I thought I would. But, these gestures from them and those words brought tears to my eyes!!!
Heck....I'm still crying just typing this!

Congrats on your 46th summit. I'm only 2/3rds up on my list of 46, but I have already tagged Dix as #46.

I will keep your post in mind when I get there. Up the slides seems like a viable deviation from the regular trail approach to the summit of Dix.

Congratulations! You've got some smart kids and I love the sign on the door. Very nice journey.

I never did get to go up that slide. Wow, just beautiful pictures! That one section is sooooo clean.

You da man!! It was a blast and an honor to hike with you, and to read this story (and your others in the past). Way to go, Andy! Upward forever!