Notches or Gaps without highways?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
I'm looking to compile a list of notches or gaps that don't have highways running through them, a list of troughs as opposed to peaks. Being at the Delaware Water Gap yesterday got me thnking. IMHO the Delaware Water Gap would probaby be considered one of the greatest places in the US if it didn't have Rt. 80 running through it. That got me thinking of all the other gaps or notches that have roads in them - Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch, etc. Anyone know of any in the eastern US or Canada that don't have roads running through them? Thanks, Fred

Last edited:
Notches -- in the ADKs

Klondike Notch--runs from Johns Brook Lodge to the ADK Loj road.

Also, I've read about Railroad Notch, not too far from Klondike Notch but I can't exactly place it on a map.

Pat T

Also Carter Notch, Perkins Notch and Zeta Pass.

Chomp beat me to Lost Pass...
:D

Also,

Bunnell Notch, Cleveland Notch, Cranberry Bog Notch, Cree Notch, Edmands Col, Gadwah Notch, Gore Notch, Hunters Pass, Kelsey Notch, Livermore Pass, Moran Notch, Paugus Pass, Spofford Gap, Stratford Notch, Tabor Notch.

Courtesy of the FIND feature on TOPO.

Adirondacks: A few more: Elk Pass, Iroquois Pass, Ouluska Pass, Caribou Pass (separates Avalanche Mt from Algonquin), Sunrise Notch (south of Whiteface), South and North Notches (Sentinel Mts), Grassy Notch (next to Jay Mt).

Catskills: Diamond Notch, Mink Hollow (two of these, the eastern is 1200' deep, western is 1000' deep and should qualify), Jimmy Dolan Notch, Pecoy Notch, Silver Hollow Notch, Dutcher Notch, Wagon Wheel Gap (a deep gash on the eastern ridge of Ashokan High Pt, a geological curiosity which is a very small remnant of an ancient stream bed - the stream bed sections to the north and south have eroded away - it was probably a very impressive pass several 100,000 years ago.;))

Last edited:
In the Catskills there is Diamond Notch, Pecoy Notch, Jimmy Dolan Notch, and Dutcher Notch are all without roads. There are a few smaller ones without roads as well.
Stoney Clove Notch has a road through it, yet its still spectacular.

Gaps without roads

How about in the Adirondacks
Hunter's Gap
Indian Pass
Klondick Pass

in the Catskills any of the gaps along the Devils
Path, and the "other" Mink Hollow

A few Catskill additions to my earlier post:
Pigeon Notch (between Doubletop and Big Indian)
Sid's Notch (between Eagle and Haynes)
Bear Slough Notch (between Indian Head and Plattekill, this is also known as Indian Pass or Slough Hole Pass)
Lockwood Gap (between Blackhead and Black Dome)
Jones Gap (between Hunter and Rusk)
Strahan Gap (between Evergreen and Pine Island)
Jenny (or Jenne) Notch (between Ginseng and Zoar)
Barlow Notch (between Hayden and Ginseng)

Pat T, FYI Railroad Notch is between Porter and Big Slide. The Discover the Adirondack High Peaks guidebook describes a bushwhack through this pass. It mentions that Klondike Pass (between Yard and Howard) is sometimes erroneously called Railroad Notch as it was once thought that the proposed 1880s railroad (never built) was to be located in Klondike Pass. The book credits Tony Goodwin with establishing that the railroad was in fact proposed and surveyed in the lower pass between Porter and Big Slide.

Freddy, It occurs to me that we have all found a lot of notches, passes, gaps that have names. I have observed that there are many such features that do not have names and some of those appear to be more impressive than those with names. Maybe you need yet another list for unnamed notches, passes, gaps that also do not have a road.