Nutrition and Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogie

Reaction score
I've been dieting and exercising for a number of weeks now to bring my weight down and my stamina up for some major backpacking this Fall. My question deals with the so-called "energy" foods sold in outdoors stores. Do these foods really provide "quick energy" on the trail?

The ads make it sound like when you're running out of steam, you just pop an energy bar in your mouth and pretty soon you're back to 100% efficiency. I know that backpacking is one of the most strenous, calorie-burning activities. Do I have to stop my dieting and return to my (too much) wheat & sugar eating on hikes? I'd like my hiking to be part of my dieting/exercise regimen to continue on my weight loss quest, but I don't want to find myself pooped out half-way up Marcy with just celery stalks to eat.

Or... will my body take care of the problem on its own by simply drawing on my fat-supply (I'm about 20 lbs overweight right now) and I will not find myself running low on energy at all?

There seems to be a lot of "urban legends" surrounding this issue, like say, filling up on pasta before a marathon. But I've not heard of any real scientific data on it.

Can someone enlighten me?

Oldfogie, successful dieting and successful athletic endeavours (hiking) is a balancing act. Make sure you get lots of carbs before, during and after a hike.
Those bars and gels are fine. Very expensive carbs but they're all right. BTW, maybe you know this already but the easier you hike the more fat you burn. You still need those carbs though cuz you can't turn fat into sugar and your muscles always need some sugar.
Here's a tidbit: YMMV but to burn off 20 lbs. of fat you need to walk roughly 6- 700 miles on the flats.

You'll undoubtedly get a lot of variation in responses to this question, and may end up more confused than enlightened.

Most people that I have hiked with are insistent about eating regularly while hiking. Some are fans of the quick energy products that you mentioned; others just eat what they like.

I am the opposite. I generally lose my appetite while hiking, although I am ravenous at the end of the day. Fluid and electrolyte intake are more important for me. I drink lots of electrolye replacement drinks (Gookinaid is my current favorite). These drinks contain a significant amount of sugar, so maybe I'm getting an energy boost from that.

That's what works for me; what works for you might be entirely different.

Steve

Hi!
From what I've found from my [limited] research on the subject (in my spare time, pouring through exercise science manuals and talking with my trainer, with whom I lost 120lbs) is that you should eat simple carbs (like fruits for example, dried or raw) while exercising for extended periods of time (like backpacking). Convertion of fructose (sugars in fruits) into glucose (energy available for use by body) is fairly simple so digestion won't bog you down. In any case, if you get a snack with simple sugars (fructose is one), they can be broken down almost instantly into glucose and available in your blood stream really quickly.

While exercising, once your glycogen stores (energy readily available, stored in muscles) are empty, your body will switch to fat burning as your liver couldn't possibly keep up with energy demands. To keep the fat burning process going though, you do need a certain amount of carbs and proteins. Eating fruits is how I get my carbs throughout the day (I love dried fruits). A good number is 40g carbs every 45-60 min. If you don't ingest a bit of protein (not much is needed to keep the fat burning going, but if you don't provide it, your body will break down your own muscles to get the needed proteins).

As they often say...forget about dieting while hiking. I often treat myself a bit when hiking: bring cheese (low fat, 4% fat), chocolate (70%+ cacao), loads of dried fruits (banana chips with salted soya beans are awesome), etc.

Hope I answered all of it.

Fish

sp1936 said:
You'll undoubtedly get a lot of variation in responses to this question, and may end up more confused than enlightened.

Most people that I have hiked with are insistent about eating regularly while hiking. Some are fans of the quick energy products that you mentioned; others just eat what they like.

I am the opposite. I generally lose my appetite while hiking, although I am ravenous at the end of the day. Fluid and electrolyte intake are more important for me. I drink lots of electrolye replacement drinks (Gookinaid is my current favorite). These drinks contain a significant amount of sugar, so maybe I'm getting an energy boost from that.

That's what works for me; what works for you might be entirely different.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I know gatorade has 40g of carbs per L or something like that as well as electrolytes, so it gives you a bit of energy too.

fish

I find that I like the "energy" bars, some of them anyway. And like the previous poster I find that I dont need to eat much on the trail.

I like most flavors of the PowerBar Harvest series, and most Clif bars, too (the exception being "lemon-poppyseed" which I bought by accident and I haven't had the guts to try...)

For the three 10 to 14 mile day hikes I have done this year, I have eaten about 3 or 4 bars, plus 8 oz of dried apricots, plus small baggies of nuts and dried sausage. And I have been plenty full...

I drink diluted gatorade, water, and flavored spring water. I made the mistake of bringing full strength gatorade on my last trip...too sweet and too filling...couldnt drink enough to quench thirst without feeling "full".

I usually eat a pretty low carb diet (low in simple junky carbs anyway)...so when I go for a hike it does tend to send my system "off" a little...all that fiber and carbs, you know :eek:

ADK Rick

I like most flavors of the PowerBar Harvest series, and most Clif bars, too (the exception being "lemon-poppyseed" which I bought by accident and I haven't had the guts to try...)

Go for it! I did the same thing and then ended up liking it. It's no chocolate and almond but it's pretty good!

oldfogie said:
Or... will my body take care of the problem on its own by simply drawing on my fat-supply (I'm about 20 lbs overweight right now) and I will not find myself running low on energy at all?

As others have said, energy bars and gels do work. But as for the fat burning, your body will primarily use the glycogen stores in your muscles and liver first. As that supply starts to deteriorate, your body begins utilizing fat for energy more. But, using fat stores isn't as efficient, so you'll likely feel very sluggish. This is also commonly referred to as the "bonk" by endurance athletes. It's not pleasant. You obviously don't have to bonk to loose the fat though, your body will still grow leaner with more exercise.

I hope that made sense. Best of luck! :D

Reactions: yam
The hotter it is the less I want to eat. This time of year I find myself taking a lot of small snacks and lots of 50 % solution Gatorade, or full strength Gookinaid. I find the liquids a lot easier to deal with in the heat.

Artex said:
As that supply starts to deteriorate, your body begins utilizing fat for energy more. But, using fat stores isn't as efficient, so you'll likely feel very sluggish.

You can train your body to burn it more efficiently, by repeatedly doing it. A couple weeks ago, I woke up (after a bit of exercise and no supper the night before), cycled 60 miles or so, hiked Marcy at a quick pace, with hardly any food.

Artex said:
This is also commonly referred to as the "bonk" by endurance athletes. It's not pleasant.

Not by British athletes.

I used to use some kinds of bars, and they worked somewhat. They are convienient. The past few years, however, I just can't handle the taste/consistantly. For several years now, I've been hiking with the same Power Bar in my pack, and I have yet to become hungry/weak enough to eat it.

I do better with the gel stuff, although sometimes I have a hard time with that too, because it reminds me of the stuff I used to put on my hair when I was younger.

nutrition

Pete, you never cease to amaze; if I had the time, I'd try to follow your regime!

On nutrition, you need to find what works best for you. I personally can't stand the taste of energy bars, feel as though they have way to many calories for the average woman hiker and too much sugary crap. I opt for trail mix that is mostly dried fruit with about six or seven almonds or nuts per ration and just try to keep my aliquiots down to a handleful (reasonably sized) every few hours. Another yummy is a tablespoon of natural peanut butter with a bunch of raisins mashed in. Yum. I also feel better and hike better when I don't feel wieghed down by food.

Another great trail yummy is a baked potato. I'll bake them and then keep them in foil. Lightly salted and cold on the trail, they really hit the spot. I find them to be a much more satisfying mouth feel as a carb source than say, some pita or bagel that's been smashing around in my pack. They last long and have lots of calories for thier wieght, any leftovers can just get tossed in the dinner pot or eaten for breakfast.

I swear by electrolytes and will go through two to three packets of EmergenC a day on hard hikes.

I generally try to consume all of my calories from whole foods and avoid processed stuff.

While hiking, I tend to eat nuts, fig bars, raisins, chocolate bits, etc. Does the job and a lot cheaper than the specialty items. I drink water or home-brewed electrolyte drink.

Doug

I was told by my professor in a nutrition class last semester that orange juice mixed 50-50 with water is just as good as Gatorade or the other sports drinks. I've never heard this before but I suppose it could be a home brew electrolyte drink.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm inclined to beleive him because he's a dietician and nutritionist and all that stuff, but it does seem kind of odd.

adamiata said:
I was told by my professor in a nutrition class last semester that orange juice mixed 50-50 with water is just as good as Gatorade or the other sports drinks. I've never heard this before but I suppose it could be a home brew electrolyte drink.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'm inclined to beleive him because he's a dietician and nutritionist and all that stuff, but it does seem kind of odd.
I'm not a nutritionist, but Consumer Reports suggested half strength fruit juice as in preference to the high-priced commercial drinks. (From a review article on commercial electrolyte drinks.) Sounds consistent with your professor's suggestion to me...

una_dogger said:
Hey Doug, mind sharing this recipe??
Already been done. Here are the links:

The home brew electrolyte drink that I was referring to is described (plus some Q&A) in the thread "Long distance nutrition" (in general backcountry) beginning with post #21.
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4914&highlight=Long+distance+nutrition
The recipie itself is in http://www.vftt.org/forums/showpost.php?p=54650&postcount=21
(however the Q&A in the thread is worth reading.)

If you have any trouble with the above URLs, just search on the thread name above.

Doug

Last edited:
My hikes are all overnights; I use the energy bars more for ease of use than anything else. It's just quicker to grab a handful of bars, a can of nuts and some fruit than it is to mix gorp, etc. Same reason I use them when I cycle, I stuff one in my jersey pocket for a snack and i am out the door. The gels are a bit better when are doing some kind of high aerbic activity as they are processed by your system quicker. For me the best part of the gels is the added caffeine. That being said, I find I use the gels often when I cycle long distances but I hardly ever take them backpacking with me. I like the odwella & clif bars for backpacking as they seem more like real food.

Ive been using DougPauls el-chepo electrolyte drink recipe for a month and a half now. Taste just as good as Gatorade (maybe better) and is a fraction of the cost. As for food, I carry simple granola bars (Some the Blueberry Yogurt kind and some Trail mix kind.) Ill have at least one during a hike, sometimes two. And if its a longer hike Ill bring along simple PB&J sandwiches. Im still a pretty weak hiker, but these things seem to have kept me going so far.
Brian
P.s. Alton Brown of Good Eats (on Food Network) recently did an epsiode on Granola, Protien and specialty bars. He made his own Protien bars, Granola Bars and Rice Crisp treats that are actualy healthier for you. Here is the link to the recipes if you would like it:
Make your own Granola and Protien bars

adamiata said:

I don't know how the 50-50 mix of orange juice compares with anything else, but I heard the same thing about 25 years ago and it's been my favorite drink when bicycle riding. I put a few ice cubes in a bottle and then fill with OJ and a little water. By the time I'm thirsty, the ice has melted and the drink is still cold.