Oh, those Osceolas!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Sister

Reaction score
Meb and I left Freeport ridiculously early Saturday morning to squeeze in a "quick hike" and make it back home in time for family dinners. We had decided to tackle the Osceolas....why not, it's fairly short mileage, and driving time is reasonable too.

So we're on the trail a bit before 8am. Right away my calves were burning. It took me about a mile to figure out that maybe I had tied my boots too tight, and I was cutting blood flow off. After a quick re-tie, I discovered to my delight, that's exactly what it was! The first 1.3 mile of trail was broken out, hard and crusty snow. From the junction on Meb and alternated breaking trail (ok, she did way more than me!) Here's where I realized that although the O's may be a short hike, they certainly can be challenging in certain conditions! The new snow got deeper as we climbed, under the light and fluffy stuff was a pretty hard layer of ice crust....yes, the same conditions I've encountered on MANY hikes this winter.

Along the ridge, we hiked like 2 hunchbacks, unable to stand up straight for any period of time. And so, I began asking myself "Is this fun?" and "Why exactly am I out here?", for which no answer ever came....

At the chimney, I proceeded to have a small temper tantrum, cursing winter(I know it's now spring) and all it had to offer. Off came the snowshoes, on went the crampons, and then the same procedure was required on the return.

We made it to the main summit by 11:30, enjoyed what I beleive to be the best summit views around, and then scurried back to the car.

I must thank my favorite hiking partner for putting up with my less than desireable attitude. I was having "one of those days", and I let it be known! I humbly admit that this short hike....whupped my a**!!

*sniff* Ahhh, brings back sweet memories of about a month ago *sniff* :D

Look at the bright side, at least you did not have to break out the trail in knee deep snow with waist deep drifts. ;) But I agree, at 6'4" I am tired of all the deep snow and am waiting with bated breath for springs triumphant arrival! If I have to spend one more minute hunched over like Quasimodo I am gonna scream!!!!! Glad you had a great time with ya Sis! :cool:

Brian

Little Sister said:
I must thank my favorite hiking partner for putting up with my less than desireable attitude. I was having "one of those days", and I let it be known! I humbly admit that this short hike....whupped my a**!!
Sounds like a Mean Girl with a mean attitude! :cool:

You know you felt way better after is was over... and you can hardly remember any of the pain... just the wonderful views and quality time together. (...well, the views, anyway)

Thanks for breaking the trail out! 4 of us did the same hike today and had a great time. Altough we hiked at a fast pace, the incrediable views along the way had the camera's coming out often. We lost track of how many peask we could see under the cloudless sky. A bit windy in a few open spots, but like you, we had to deal with all the branches which were a pain.

Rebecca played Easter bunny bringing along Easter candy to share! As a reward she went for her first glisade down the mountain which made our descent very quick.

Only real supprise was the ice at the summit - made it tough to walk, so at one point Jeff just dove head first and moved along like a penguin.

We agree - short hike - lots of work, but well worth it!

Nice TR little sis.

Glad to see you Maine Girls aren't just sitting around eating chocolate bunnies and Peeps!

:rolleyes:

I totally agree with LS, this was a tough hike. Seriously, how can sliding back with each step and being poked and slapped in the face by branches be any fun at all? It's days like this though that build character, stength and confidence. We are all faced with challenges every day...some are easier to deal with than others. Sometimes I'll yell and get angry, other times I'll become withdrawn and silent. Then there are the days I'll cry or sing or think of something funny. And then there are the days I'm out with someone who will help me find a way.

Bob&Geri, glad you had a nice day! Did you happen to come across a bottle of almonds? If you did Ihope you enjoyed them. We tried our best to snowshoe down the East Peak but sometimes your feet just slip right out from underneath!

-MEB

Last edited:
MEB - sorry, we didn't find the missing almonds. Did see a Happy Easter sign written in the snow. Sorry to hear how hard the hike was for you two. We came away thinking it was harder than we had remembered, but a really fun day - perhaps due to all the comical mishaps we were having along the way between stepping off the trail, Peeps and Bunnies, flying ice from branches drawing blood, to Jeff's imitaion of a penguin as the easiest way to traverse the ice on Osceola.

chinooktrail - who says you ahve to sit around to eat chocolate bunnies and Peeps? Rebecca was kind enough to bring them along with her. Somehow they taste a lot better after a couple of hours of hiking up steep trails.