Ok, I'll do it... BIG SNOW STORM(s) 2/17, 2/19!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12"+ for N NJ. Just back from FL, where I froze my butt, so well acclimated.

Get up in elevation, really matters.
That, of course, is the beauty of this "snowless" winter: there is no snow in my driveway, where I would have to shovel it, but enough snow higher up, where I can enjoy it.

All through this period of no snow in the valleys some snow has been falling higher up, enough to keep the trails in perfect condition.

Yup, I'm boning the bat here, just about ready to administer those beatins'. Two inches of slush, rapidly changing phase to runoff, and a forecast for the next few days that Noah would recognize. :mad:

(Think I'll start first with hikingmaineac -- Noyes looks like he might be trouble if he ever sheds that likeable demeanor.)

Snow in the White Mountains is just really getting going with storm 1. It will wind up into the gulf of Maine and snow through tomorrow. But the second storm looks like it could drop more then 2 feet at elevations above 2000 feet. That starts tomorrow evening.

Power came back this afternoon. Cleared my 2 driveways of 18" of the heaviest snow that I've seen in a long time.

Power came back this afternoon. Cleared my 2 driveways of 18" of the heaviest snow that I've seen in a long time.

Seems like that jackpot band made its way further south into the Watatic area. My mom-in-law lives and Ashby (about 5 miles south of Watatic) and like yourself she got about 18" of some super-heavy snow. Looks like us locals may get some good 'shoeing if the rain doesn't wash it all away.

I have removed a total of about 16" of snow in two shoveling sessions from the porch since yesterday. The temperature is about 32 degrees out and the snow is very dense. A pickup truck mounted snowplow doesnt seem to be able to push it very far as it packs into concrete with any compaction. The stuff does seem to settle rapidly so the actual snow depth in undisturbed areas is closer to a foot.

I am not a skier, but this stuff seems to be flattening any underbrush so I expect it will reestablish a good base for glade skiing?

This is as of Tuesday AM at 1400 feet at the Gorham Randolph town line. I expect this is very elevation dependent.

Snowhoes wont be optional this weekend and a can of pam for the snowshoes and anitbots for crampons may be the ticket as this stuff sticks to anything.

21" of wet snow in downtown Woodstock, VT. Varies quite a bit as I drive around the Upper Valley. Power went off and on a half-dozen times already, and quite a few branches and trees are down.

Sounds like more rain than snow for the next round; hopefully the mountains will see all/mostly snow.

Zero snow in Boston........it keeps raining.......risk for dumpster fires are diminishing by the hour.....umbrella sales are up......Wind is NNE at 9mph.......visibility about half mile.......Sweden lost the quarter-final in hockey in the Olympics against Slovakia.....38 degrees......Sweden won the men's XC-ski relay in the Olympics though......handily beating the Norwegians......:D

Shake and Bake!

Southern NH Snow

I received 19" in Rindge NH about 8 miles from Monadnock, I'm assuming that Monadnock got at least that if not more due to the elevation. If the rain doesn’t wash the majority of it away it should be good hiking this weekend. I am hoping because it was a heavy wet snow it stuck to the summit rocks instead of getting blown off.

True Patriot where were you going to ski? Anything in the Whites above 2500 feet will have a total of 2-4 feet by this weekend. Very large storm.

-Mattl

Last edited:
Just started snowing here in Bethlehem an hour ago - rain all morning before that. Forecast is showing 6-10 inches by tomorrow - hopefully that holds true! All the wet snow is sticking to the trees creating quite a wonderland effect. I hope it stops sometime for a bit to allow for a few pictures. :)

Just arrived in Twin Mountain to find an inch of slush on the deck. Temp is 36 degrees an it is raining. It was raining coming through Franconia Notch as well.