Old Speck / East Baldpate

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I took a Thursday off from work and expanded my hiking into Maine. Seven hours of driving and eleven hours of hiking made for a long and tiring day. By 4am I was in the car and heading north. On Route 3 in Twin Mountain, I saw a moose which lost a battle with a vehicle :( and shortly thereafter a still-kicking one wallowing on the side of the road. Route 2 from Gorham through Gilead is being rebuilt and that slowed the drive down some, but eventually Sunday River went by on the left and not too longer after that, I was parked at the Grafton Notch State Park. Note that there is a $3 fee and tube ($2 for Maine residents) but no envelope or other way for you to prove you've paid.

I elected to take the Eyebrow Trail on the way up. This trail is steep, with a cable railing, some iron rungs, and one ladder all near the start. I saw a porcupine - my first, oddly enough - along the trail and he retreated to a safe distance of about 30 feet. The trail was in generally good shape, with a limited amount of mud, and a fair amount of water. There are some nice views from the top of the cliffs, back through and across the notch, and along to Old Speck as well.

After rejoining the Old Speck Trail (AT), things level out some more, alternating with some steeper sections and a few stretches of down. In some of the north-facing and shaded spots, there is still snow to be found, with a monorail on the trail. Traction isn't necessary, just a bit of caution. In one place, I post-holed up to my knee, and in another there is a gap between a berm and the remaining monorail which also came up to me knee. The exposed bedrock of the trail often had running water on it. Turning left at the Mahoosuc Trail junction for 0.3 miles brings you to the summit which has a tower AND a whole view which has been cut so you can see across the notch to the east. From the tower, the northern Presidentials are clearly visible over Mahoosuc Notch.

The first 2/3 of the return trip was to retrace my steps back to the Eyebrow Trail. For the rest of the descent I followed the AT over some more open ledges which offered nice views over the bowl and up to the ridge I had just come across. This section of trail runs mostly along a brook and through open forest. Although not as steep as the Eyebrow, it is still fairly steep and less rocky, more roots and more eroded. The brook was running pretty slowly, and the two places which cross it were easily stepped over. After 4.5 hours, the first 7.8 miles were complete and I stopped at the car to refill my water and food, and dump my microspikes.

Continuing on the AT across route 26 the trail immediately starts out on bog bridges and crosses a decent-sized stream. From here, the trail ascends gradually, and then nearly level, for 1.8 miles to the Baldpate Leanto spur (I skipped the side trip.) There is a side path to Table Rock offering an "Extraordinary View" which I also skipped. This first section, through open woods, was a week or two ahead of Old Speck from the flora perspective. The hobblebush was blooming, there were painted trilliums, and the trout lilies were all blossuming (the bluebead lilies are starting to bud.) Past the leanto, the trail angles up sharply over rocks, eroded roots, and exposed bedrock. Going more slowly here allowed the black flies to catch up, so a fresh application of bug dope was warranted. I really took my time through this stretch to limit water and electrolyte loss due to perspiration. After what seemed an inordinately long time, the trail becomes less steep as it approaches the wooded summit of West Baldpeak. Just beyond this summit is an awesome view of East Baldpeak across an open col.

The descent is pretty easy, although I was definitely feeling the effects of the heat, and of hiking on rocks (I miss winter and snowshoes.) On the way down, there is a wooden ladder over one particularly steep piece of ledge. Once in the col, the trail crosses a boggy section on bog bridges (of course) to the beginning of the climb to the east peak. Climbing the open ledges reminds me of the summit of Monadnock or Cardigan. The actual summit is a few hundred yards beyond where the ledges flatten out, and the trail is marked with rocks on either side.

My map doesn't cover the area to the east of Baldpate (AMC Mahoosuc #5 I think), so I couldn't identify any of the peaks in the area, except of course for Sunday River. The presidentials were still visible beyond Old Speck, and for the first time all day, Old Speck's tower was visible. After eating yet again and polishing off my Gatorade I struck off back to Grafton Notch. Climbing over West Peak was slow, as was the descent over the steep and rough part back to the leanto. From there, it becomes more of a cruise back to Grafton Notch.

I saw one person on Old Speck, and a backpacker just below the Baldpate Leanto. The log at the parking area showed one GAMEr had been through on 5/20, so the leading edge of thru-hikers is already here.

All photos

Tim

Nice...we did both old speck and E. Baldpate this winter. Looking forward to seeing what they are like WITHOUT snow...

Which brings me to the questions...did you see any?

In some of the north-facing and shaded spots, there is still snow to be found, with a monorail on the trail. Traction isn't necessary, just a bit of caution. In one place, I post-holed up to my knee, and in another there is a gap between a berm and the remaining monorail which also came up to me knee.

Just a little bit. Looks like this:

Tim

A fine hike! Baldpate is one of my all time favorite mountains. If you continue north, there are some gnarly iron rungs built into the rock face to assist in descent/ascent. Its pretty cool. That whole range is worth exploring. Moody Mntn to the north is worth the trip.